Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Dec 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1177276)   #1
Jeff Barley
Racer

Jeff Barley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rob Potters first Camaro?..ex-Transam ex ASCAR?

Hey Guys.. just stumbled into your forum.. Maybe you can help out?

Some of you may recall that Rob Potter drove a 1967 Camaro in the 1979 ASCAR series.. The car was Silver with pale plue Z28 style stripes up the bonnet and down the boot.. He won the series that year, and then kissed the armco at Brands "big time" in 1980 and wheeled the car into a garage and then left it having bent it badly..

My question is does anyone know anything about the initial history of that car?.. Its alledged to have TransAm History, but Rob found it in a garage "in North London" where it had apparently been stored for "10 years".. a turn key car that he just changed the fluids etc, did a nut and bolt check and then went out to win its first race "straight out of the box".. All Rob remembers is somthing to do with "Curley Coachworks" (my spelling).. There's a suggestion that the car may have been imported either by Curley (who then went to Australia?), or "Green" or Jerry (?) Mahoney..

Ring any bells with anyone?..
Old 13 Dec 2004, 07:18 (Ref:1178011)   #2
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff, that sounds like an interesting car. Do you know any more of its history? Does it still exist? Would be interesting to see some pics. 'Camaroz' owns the Frank Gardner '67 Camaro which was raced in the BTCC, this was ex Trans-Am, seems many of the UK based American cars were. Do you know anything about this one Camaroz?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 07:22 (Ref:1178013)   #3
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Jeff, does it look anything like the two '67 Camaro's on this page?

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...0pictures.html
Old 13 Dec 2004, 08:14 (Ref:1178037)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
He had second gen cars did'nt he I remeber seeing an old shell at the back of hiis yard for years. We had a few old bits off him years ago when building our cars if I remeber rightly. Are you thinkiing of buying it Jeff?
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1178741)   #5
tigerbill65
Rookie

tigerbill65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rob potters 67 camaro

hi jeff,
there must be some photos around of it ?, anyone
got some pictures to jog some memories.
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1178751)   #6
tigerbill65
Rookie

rob potters later shell, if it was just a shell on its side, in the yard, that was sold to a drag racer. i am informed
Old 13 Dec 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1178755)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What a waste.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 00:33 (Ref:1178816)   #8
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
I'm with you there Al.

How many Camaro's did he have? Some pics would be good. Where are they now?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1179020)   #9
Camaroz
Veteran

Camaroz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Jeff and welcome,

The Sanger/Crabtree car in Frank d-j's website looks interesting. Who's was / where is that car now? There must have been as many Camaro's running in Europe as there were in the States.

Does Bill Withey have any info? Looking forward to seeing some photos of your car.

Thanks again for all your help with my car. I have been poping the "Curley" question at every opportunity. Catching up with Norris Miles next week and I will ask him.

Cheers.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:33 (Ref:1179363)   #10
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Terry Sanger raced the ex Muir Malcolm Gartlan / Wiggins Teape car in 1972-73
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:40 (Ref:1179365)   #11
Jeff Barley
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holmes
Jeff, does it look anything like the two '67 Camaro's on this page?

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...0pictures.html
Hi Steve!!.. thanks for the photos!.. I am assuming that the black and white camaro at Spa (Sanger & Crabtree) is the ex-Wiggens Teape car, which of course is an ex-Pensk camaro.. That car was found some years back and has been returned to the US and restored

The other camaro is of course the Martin Thomas "Flame out Camaro" which is not my car

I had not seen a photo of the Sanger / Crabtree car at Spa, so that was really useful.. Do you have any more??
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:48 (Ref:1179377)   #12
Jeff Barley
Racer

Quote:
Jeff, that sounds like an interesting car. Do you know any more of its history? Does it still exist? Would be interesting to see some pics. 'Camaroz' owns the Frank Gardner '67 Camaro which was raced in the BTCC, this was ex Trans-Am, seems many of the UK based American cars were. Do you know anything about this one Camaroz?
Hi Steve.. Yes it still exists (at least I hope so cos I own it!).. When I get home in a day or so I'll try and figure out how to post some pics.. I have some ideas on its history in the US but want to work backwards with the UK link to proove the theory but its certainly TransAm spec and build quality.. We believe it was imported into the UK in 1969 and it sat in a garage for 10 yeas before it was found again.. We have evidence to support that it did not race in the US after 1971 which ties in nicely.. I have had indirect contact with the guy who owns the ex Gardner camaro.. seems to know his stuff!!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1179378)   #13
Jeff Barley
Racer

I have some pics so will try and post a few..!!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:50 (Ref:1179380)   #14
Jeff Barley
Racer

I believe that the later car ended up as a drag car, but have no idea where it is now, or what the story was behind that car.. Anybody know??
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:52 (Ref:1179383)   #15
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hi Jeff, the website is owned and run by Frank de Jong who visits this forum quite often. The photos are contributed, I assume, by visitors to the website. Its a great website. I think Frank supplied a pic for Camaroz of his car?? Contact him and see if he can help you out.

There don't seem to be enough European websites containing this sort of historical and photographic saloon car material. Its a shame really. The Americans and Australians seem to be very good at it, there are several Australian websites containing/selling old photos, and they're great places to visit.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1179385)   #16
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Sorry, this is the website name:

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/

Look forward to seeing some pics. Camaroz or Bruce 302 should be able to put you in contact with someone from the Historic Trans-Am register who could help with its history.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1179387)   #17
Jeff Barley
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Jackson
Terry Sanger raced the ex Muir Malcolm Gartlan / Wiggins Teape car in 1972-73
Ties in with what I thought.. But must admit I never knew he had painted it white and black though Jeremy?.. I thought that Sanger raced the car in an orange or red colour scheme ..wasn't it sponsored by "Research Consultants" (I'm doing this from memory now, so bear with me.. Odd that he should paint it black and white for Spa.. unless its a different car??
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:08 (Ref:1179394)   #18
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Jeff, do you still own that lovely maroon '67? What happened to the Roly Nix and Dennis Leach '67s? Those were a pair of fire breathers.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1179406)   #19
Jeff Barley
Racer

Quote:
Sorry, this is the website name:

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/

Look forward to seeing some pics. Camaroz or Bruce 302 should be able to put you in contact with someone from the Historic Trans-Am register who could help with its history.
Great website!..There are pics on there that I have not seen before..Thanks Steve!.. I have contacts with the HTA register, but thanks for the tip!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1179411)   #20
Jeff Barley
Racer

....This is getting embarrising!.. Nope, I sold the maroon 67 to fund the purchase of the ex-Rob Potter camaro.. Its still around though.. repainted.. even walked past it and Brands last year!.. Have not spoken with Roly for years nor Dennis Leach.. Couple of great characters.. Last time I saw Dennis was at Donnington (I think) He turned up in a 67 camaro that he had just built that looked like it had been thrown together..I recall that the front sway bar was a piece of scaffold tub.. Real trick car.. Dennis went out and wiped the floor with the ££££ ICS cars.. I don't think he was allowed to play anymore... Typical dennis!.. Not sure where Roly is!?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:32 (Ref:1179421)   #21
Jeff Barley
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaroz
Hi Jeff and welcome,

The Sanger/Crabtree car in Frank d-j's website looks interesting. Who's was / where is that car now? There must have been as many Camaro's running in Europe as there were in the States.

Does Bill Withey have any info? Looking forward to seeing some photos of your car.

Thanks again for all your help with my car. I have been poping the "Curley" question at every opportunity. Catching up with Norris Miles next week and I will ask him.

Cheers.
Ha-Ha!!.. We "speak" at last!!.. Glad to have helped with your stuff.. Bill Withy is a real good friend of mine.. We used to race against each other and Bill was the previous owner of the Rob Potter car.. I traded him my turn key 67 camaro which he then went on to race FAR better than I did.. You know Norris!?.. Have not spoken to him for years.. Pass on my regards!?... Appreciate you bouncing the "Curley" name around.. One day it may come up in conversation..fingers crossed!!!!!!!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 19:53 (Ref:1179439)   #22
tigerbill65
Rookie

roly nix camaro

hi, the roly nix camaro is now owned by a racing family, bosie thurthall and his dad. (excuse the spelling). it will be in the Heritage races in the uk next year.and will be ultrs quick in their hands.

the dennis leech camaro is owned now by my mate
chaz, he is already racing it in the uk, and intends to
enter some chamionships with it , if he can get in.
the grids will be full of long unseen camaros next
year, even the camaro sold by martin thomas
recently is out next year. its enough to give me a stiff one.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:04 (Ref:1179449)   #23
tigerbill65
Rookie

Hi Guys.
how do you post pictures on this site?.the posting rules tab says, you may not post attachments.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1179475)   #24
Jeremy Jackson
Veteran

Jeremy Jackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Barley
Ties in with what I thought.. But must admit I never knew he had painted it white and black though Jeremy?.. I thought that Sanger raced the car in an orange or red colour scheme ..wasn't it sponsored by "Research Consultants" (I'm doing this from memory now, so bear with me.. Odd that he should paint it black and white for Spa.. unless its a different car??
Jeff,

Always entered by Research Consultants. It was red at Silverstone in April 1972 come to think of it. Maybe sponsor requirement at Spa? Autosport's report says it was rebuilt after a shunt at the GP support race at Brands the week before, so...
Old 14 Dec 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1179491)   #25
Jeff Barley
Racer

I'd forgotten the shunt... How soon after was Spa Jeremy?.. I wonder if it was a different camaro?