Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 Oct 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1444627)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TransAm

Is there going to be a transam series next year or are the rumors ture that worldchallange GT will become transam?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1446474)   #2
EarlyApex
Rookie

EarlyApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By all indications Trans-Am will be back in 2006. There is a movement underfoot to secure title sponsorship to help bolster the series. The schedule should for the most part follow the Champcar schedule of events as pertaining to road and/or street course venues.

As to World Challenge becoming Trans-Am, SCCA has stated they have no current plans to do that, should the Trans-Am series not answer the bell. SCCA is set on the continuation of building brand awareness of the World Challenge name plate.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1446524)   #3
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tenative World Challange schedule was 'released', and they are running again with the ALMS for the majority of the season.

As Trans-Am is 'aligned' with CCWS, it seems doubtfull that the WCS would become Trans-Am and then run with the ALMS. It also looks as if the WCS is returning to Road America instead of the Cleveland CCWS date, as it did last year in a late schedule change. Laguna also looks to be on the (returning to) WCS schedule with the ALMS as well.

Gentilozzi is killing Trans-Am, and although it is a real shame, I would rather see it die than keep going in the direction he is taking it. I honestly hope the SCCA can 'take back' the 'leasing' rights to the Trans-Am name and make their own decision about the future of the series.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1446747)   #4
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W Keske
As Trans-Am is 'aligned' with CCWS, it seems doubtfull that the WCS would become Trans-Am and then run with the ALMS.
But that's the current series running under the T/A name, not the name itself. Right?

Anyway, what are the plans now for the immediate future - surely old stockers and a bunch of Jaguars are not what the crowd wants to see. The people in charge need to make up their mind which direction they want to go in, and Mr. Gentilozzi needs to make up his mind if he wants to be a racing driver or series owner.

And as for those Rocketsports Jaguars, I say let them run in ALMS. They could give the Corvettes a run for their money.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1446820)   #5
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersdorf
But that's the current series running under the T/A name, not the name itself. Right?
As far as I know cybers, Gentilozzi still 'holds' the 'Trans-Am' name from the SCCA.

Maybe you know something which has transpired that I am not aware of. IIRC, I believe the use of the 'Trans-Am name' was up for contractual review/acceptance/approval by the SCCA soon, but not sure where PG stands at this point, or when the date of the name use 'continuance' is set to expire.

As Steve Johnson (past president of the SCCA) is now the president of CCWS, that could/may become a factor.

I think PG would be too much a wimp to compete against the likes of the Corvettes and Aston's
Old 29 Oct 2005, 16:03 (Ref:1446836)   #6
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt I know anything about this that you don't, I'm too far away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W Keske
I think PG would be too much a wimp to compete against the likes of the Corvettes and Aston's
Hmmm your words not mine... - but why do I find it hard to disagree??
Seriously, is there room for such cars in IMSA/ALMS? Alright so they aren't eligible for Le Mans, wtf *ahem* - ...erence does it make Their track record in endurance racing hasn't been so good in recent (GrandAm) years so but that may well have had something to do with preparation; Gentilozzi himself has showed that such a car can last 24 hours if built properly. And they were of course used in IMSA GTO/GTU, with success. So if you just build one right, it can last 24hrs, not to mention 2:45. There are some chassis and engine builders out there still, they might be interested.

How about this: 6l engines, fuel injected (I insist! ), 5 speed box, proper lights and wipers, allow same aero (wings, diffusor) as ACO-GT1, and let them run in that class with weight and restrictor adjustments. Maybe this is a way to bring true privateer racing back into the ALMS.

No really, I'm serious.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 19:20 (Ref:1446976)   #7
EarlyApex
Rookie

EarlyApex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champcar operates the Trans-Am series. Champcar holds lease to the naming rights "trans-am". Notice Champcar, not Gentilozzi. Paul sold his TAR, LLC(Trans-Am Racing, LLC) to Champcar a couple of years back. Paul helps to oversee Trans-Am, but any final decision about releasing and such is up to Champcar. The current lease expires prior to year end 2005.

As to 2006 rumor is the stock cars will not return. Also, rumor is Jag is gone as well.

Gentilozzi is not killing Trans-Am. Several factors come into play. A slower economy, not as many sponsor opportunities for teams, bad decisions in Trans-Am as to the weight break for the AJV8, aero packages(until recently when other makes were brought into line and now the racing is closer), and things outside of Trans-Am's control(such as drivers retiring, moving to other series or cutting back on personal company money spent to go racing).

With a proper sponsorship package for the series, things can be changed. Purse payout can be increased, marketing efforts increased and more. Champcar enjoys the series as a weekend partner and are willing to have it return.

The other issue is that Rocketsports and PG have determined for what ever reason their business plan spells out, to invest heavily in Trans-Am and dominate. Other teams are not as well funded and cannot keep up. That is not Paul's fault.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 20:07 (Ref:1447003)   #8
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyApex
As to 2006 rumor is the stock cars will not return. Also, rumor is Jag is gone as well.
While the former is a good thing (imho), the latter isn't necessarily, because what will be left? The series would have needed more Jag-like efforts, or at least a chance for the others to have a look in occasionally.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 22:15 (Ref:1447081)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Trans Am as a formula is tired. I would like to see something different.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1447085)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Like what?
Old 29 Oct 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1447108)   #11
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The big problem was that PG is clearly writing his own rules