Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Nov 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2992672)   #801
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
no worries Icarus_nz
Old 29 Nov 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2992718)   #802
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Gee, I love Kiwis, until they find the internet forum...

I really can't be bothered going back deleting everything, but a few posts will go and there might be a (polite) warning or two, otherwise please just stick to the topic and if you don't like something - report it. All that offensiveness and accusation and not a single reported post. Enough, please.
Too right Woolley!!

Maybe you could just turn the volume down....it's very hard to think in here over the noise of all those axes grinding
Old 29 Nov 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2993095)   #803
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we could momentarily digress back to the simple topic of race cars driving around race tracks..........

A little video of the V8ST prototype running around Pukekohe at the drift meeting (smart marketing to a different group of motorsport fans??) last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5x_z-jtrzI

There's no denying this thing sounds and looks tough! A whole bunch of them will be cool

Don't really get a good look at it here but I see the car is running the new wing shown on the United Video Falcon the Big Boys Toys show
Old 29 Nov 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2993110)   #804
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
If we could momentarily digress back to the simple topic of race cars driving around race tracks..........

A little video of the V8ST prototype running around Pukekohe at the drift meeting (smart marketing to a different group of motorsport fans??) last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5x_z-jtrzI

There's no denying this thing sounds and looks tough! A whole bunch of them will be cool

Don't really get a good look at it here but I see the car is running the new wing shown on the United Video Falcon the Big Boys Toys show
at 0:42, the car running on the right, is that a st? it looks a bit different
Old 29 Nov 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2993152)   #805
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, NZ in my PIMPED F150
EZY PEEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
at 0:42, the car running on the right, is that a st? it looks a bit different
ST with Evo body panels bolted to it?
Old 29 Nov 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2993161)   #806
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
time attack evo
Old 30 Nov 2011, 08:50 (Ref:2993370)   #807
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha was just about to post that, i filmed most of that, was awesome to see it fly past just meters away.

Crowd response, even from the drift faithful was great and they loved the concept of the V8ST

Highlights of the event if anyone's interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiT3Ml7zK_M

Due to Gaz Whiter's qualifying crash there was a delay, but the V8ST did go back out during the free track sessions at the end of the day with the new wing, Kayne seemed to enjoy everything about it and loved the laps.

We pulled in a massive diverse crowd for Round 2, cheap ticket price and good 'racing' If we can do it (and i can tell you us drifters dont have much money) then the V8ST guys can certainly do it with all the media exposure and professional organisation. Chances are there are alot of V8ST staff who are doing it for the love and not the money... and good on them. Do it for the sport and love, for us its a lifestyle and we love every moment of it - seems all lost in the circuit racing scene...

And yeah that was a neat little pass on one of the time attack Evos, closing in on the dodson r35

And why not run an event after Hamilton? The price is right, see similar v8 racing cars for 10 bucks a day or fork out an arm and a leg to see concrete at the tron....

Last edited by KLR93; 30 Nov 2011 at 08:55.
Old 1 Dec 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2994182)   #808
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ooh, I like the look of these....

http://www.facebook.com/pages/V8Supe...13173572101393
Old 2 Dec 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2994233)   #809
GizzFan
Rookie

GizzFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Man thats an impressive sight, absolutely awesome. Hope they show the engines on the dyno, love to know just what they put out in V8ST trim.

Off topic, the Gizz kid is in the top ten on his first run i cant wait for the first race because he has got it all to play for this weekend, and I sense a big win coming up this weekend.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 04:46 (Ref:2994241)   #810
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yep, I'm with you not that one. Fingers crossed
Old 2 Dec 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2994269)   #811
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I meant "I'm with you on that one"
Old 2 Dec 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2994488)   #812
GizzFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I meant "I'm with you on that one"
Yea, i got it, no worries.

Speedcafe got some quotes from the Rat in their story on the V8ST engine's.
here

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/12/03/...-supertourers/

Interesting to see that the Rat, talks about the wharf strikes might affect the completion of their cars, as I drove by the container wharf yesterday, and there was heaps of people protesting about low wages etc, so hope that does not put the the guys back to much on there car builds.
Old 2 Dec 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2994498)   #813
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel sorry for the guys trying to put cars together in January. With the whole country out on holiday and promises of completion on 'island time' any outwork is a challenge.
Old 3 Dec 2011, 03:13 (Ref:2994644)   #814
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightLine View Post
Mark interesting reading back through some of your post's

Wasn't it you and the other NZV8 directors that chose to split the V8 class up and run a break away series?

Interesting how you quote that
"the traditional Summer Series is unsustainable in this economic climate"

How will your new ST series be any more sustainable in this economic climate running in months that traditionally have bad weather?

I would have thought splitting the sport up in this economy was only detrimental to motorsport!

It's been asked before what support classes have you got lined up for each event?

I note that round 3 Manfeild April 28/29 is the weekend after the biggest motorsport event in NZ, V8 Supercars in Hamilton. Why would you do that?

Round 5 Taupo August 11/12 It was snowing in Taupo in the same week this year, if it's not snowing it will be guaranteed to be cold horrible weather. How do you expect any sort of crowd to turn up?

ST have done a great job around promoting the the new series on TV3 and with the media. Awesome cars and a driver lineup that has created some good media particularly with Greg Murphy involved! How could you go wrong?

My question to you Mark (amongst the others) is how do you make this work financially?

From what I understand TV production cost for each event to be around 150k

Circuit hire, marketing, event management infrastructure to run each event is between 75k to 100k

Staff wages & operating cost's between 400k and 500k

These are only but a few of the costs that anyone can see

My rough calculation that it's going to take some 2 to 2.5 million dollars to run your new series! With no real sponsors announced and less than a month to Christmas. How is this sustainable in this economic climate?
Or are all the rich guys in the series going to toss money in the pot to make it run?

How ever I look at this it can't be good for motorsport!

Having just taken the time to read through this thread in some detail, the above post stuck out amongst the many that swing towards the new or towards the incumbent with relevant favour.

Based on some of the contents of it, one might heavily suspect that the author has some fairly strong links to TMC - clues such as the cost of TV production, salaries (for the Big Kahuna, his wife/partner, the Sponsorship Procurer, etc) and operating expenses all seem to be sourced from TMC.

Anyway, despite the fact that the new class has a fantastic TV deal at a fraction of the TMC cost, and has only two or three staff - all of whom are allegedly on performance-based pay structures, some of the quotes expectations to get the V8 SuperTourers going are a mile out.

The question is.....jealousy or envy?
Old 3 Dec 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2994669)   #815
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a question someone may know the answer to.

I got thinking because I know there is a Tier One meeting at Ruapuna next weekend. I know that because a friend is racing in a support class.

What I haven't seen is an promotion for the meeting.
Granted I'm not actively looking for evidence of the meeting but then I don't suppose 'Joe Public' is either what with Xmas shopping, sunny days at the beach, smashing the garden back into shape and waiting for EQC to visit (little ChCh in-joke there)

So I'm suspecting that there won't be too many punters turning up at the track next weekend and a poor financial result for TMC

So here is my question.

If TMC make a loss who tops them up?

The ownership of TMC is half MSNZ and the rest the various circuits.

As a member of a club and also as a license holder from MSNZ would I have to contribute...? (directly or indirectly)

Also does anyone know, as a member of a shareholding club am I able to access the financials of TMC?
I'm presuming they report to their shareholders?
Old 4 Dec 2011, 01:51 (Ref:2994893)   #816
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE=Icarus_nz;2994669]Here's a question someone may know the answer to.

I got thinking because I know there is a Tier One meeting at Ruapuna next weekend. I know that because a friend is racing in a support class.

Granted I'm not actively looking for evidence of the meeting but then I don't suppose 'Joe Public' is either what with Xmas shopping, sunny days at the beach, smashing the garden back into shape and waiting for EQC to visit (little ChCh in-joke there)

So I'm suspecting that there won't be too many punters turning up at the track next weekend and a poor financial result for TMC

So here is my question.

As a member of a club and also as a license holder from MSNZ would I have to contribute...? (directly or indirectly)

Also does anyone know, as a member of a shareholding club am I able to access the financials of TMC?
I'm presuming they report to their shareholders?[/QUOTE

Amazing you get a bunch of rogues breaking away and all of a sudden TMC is in the **** caused by a breakaway series that wont be turning a wheel for another two months.
I got a question for you.... when the ST's make big losses when they start up
who's going to top them up. Anyway this thread is about the ST's. Go back to sleep mate
Old 4 Dec 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2994907)   #817
GizzFan
Rookie

[QUOTE=Ugy;2994893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post

So here is my question.

I'm presuming they report to their shareholders?[/QUOTE

Amazing you get a bunch of rogues breaking away and all of a sudden TMC is in the **** caused by a breakaway series that wont be turning a wheel for another two months.
who's going to top them up. Anyway this thread is about the ST's. Go back to sleep mate
Just sitting here watching Gizz's great race on TV3 from yesterday, and gota say i am super impressed with all the promo the V8ST boys are doing through out the TC coverage of the last Aussie V8 Supercar round this year, no idea what its costing them but they are definitely not afraid to put their big kuhauna's on the line, two months out from their first event

I guess the answer is they can afford to take the good with the bad, so maybe you can sleep easier now knowing that at least V8ST wont need the poor old MSNZ licence holders to bail them out.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 05:15 (Ref:2994918)   #818
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post

WOW!

TMC won't do so well this year because 1. The show is poor and 2. Money is tight and punters won't spend it to see a poor show.

I made no connection whatsoever with the impending spectacle. You did.

In answer to your question. I presume ST is owned by its shareholders. As such they are aware of the risk. If financially things so bad then they will turn to their shareholders.

Which is why I wondered about the financial situation should TMC tank. Mate.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 05:25 (Ref:2994920)   #819
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry...your obviously smarter than i thought you were
Old 4 Dec 2011, 06:23 (Ref:2994922)   #820
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
WOW!
Which is why I wondered about the financial situation should TMC tank. Mate.
TMC is owned 60% by MSNZ with the balance by some of the NZ circuits (not Hampton Downs). MSNZ is made up of affiliated member clubs. I would assume that if TMC got into difficulties then it's shareholders could be required to front - this could impact on MSNZ and in turn on member clubs and in turn on competitors (through the possibility of increased fees). The big assumption is whether this season will be successful or unsuccessful for TMC - time will tell.
Old 4 Dec 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2994927)   #821
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

So here is my question.

I'm presuming they report to their shareholders?
TMC/ MSNZ are already concerned:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...-racing-feared

http://www.stuff.co.nz/timaru-herald...sh-to-keep-V8s

all looks good, dosn't it. tax payers pay for a known event loss for RWC, and local ratepayers have to front up to bullying by MSNZ/TMC to retain an average event run by a club that would be lucky to run a decent pi$$-up in a brewery
Old 4 Dec 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2994955)   #822
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's nothing wrong with the events that the South Canterbury Car Club host. They are well supported by the locals and I would say from both competing and spectating that they are actually very well organised.

Last edited by E36ST; 4 Dec 2011 at 08:00. Reason: spelling
Old 4 Dec 2011, 08:16 (Ref:2994961)   #823
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
There's nothing wrong with the events that the South Canterbury Car Club host. They are well supported by the locals and I would say from both competing and spectating that they are actually very well organised.
so why are they always needing handouts to make events viable?

any how, back on topic.

whilst i don't agree with how the V8ST class came about, it will be interesting to see how their events stack up as an entertainment spectacle.TMC/MSNZ Teir one events are catered purely for the TV, and not the paying public ion the embankements/stands
Old 4 Dec 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2994976)   #824
GizzFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2994961
so why are they always needing handouts to make events viable?

any how, back on topic.

whilst i don't agree with how the V8ST class came about, it will be interesting to see how their events stack up as an entertainment spectacle.TMC/MSNZ Teir one events are catered purely for the TV, and not the paying public ion the embankements/stands
kinda interested in what you mean by entertainment spectacle, because I talked to the V8ST guys again today, at the Thunder in the Park meeting, got bloody wet to! Garry Pederson was saying they're breaking the mold and going even further than Supercars in making the drivers and cars far more accessible, like having all the cars and drivers form up on the grid 30 minuets before each race start, and having all the drivers and crew stand along side their car, so that the fans with the right tickets can spend 20 minuets on the grid, walking around talking to the drivers etc.

Not sure people on the hill will think this is good "entertainment", but it will certainly add a lot of razzmatazz to each event. And apparently donuts after the last race will be encouraged!!
Old 4 Dec 2011, 19:13 (Ref:2995160)   #825
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
A first read you think 30mins of waiting. yay.

But then, if the cars roll to the grid as soon as the last race is on its in-lap all the course clearance stuff can happen in the background. Cars recovered, tyre walls repaired, pies delivered to flaggies (hmmmmm pies).

Get a really good interviewer on the grid to talk with various drivers whatever and those without the right ticket aren't left hanging.

If the organising clubs get their end of it right with a mix of compelling popular classes it will be good to have time to go to the dunny without missing anything.
Closed Thread