Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1424402)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montagny leaves Renault

Franck Montagny has left Renault after being told Heikki Kovalianen will replace him next year.

The Frenchman is now talking to Midland about a seat for 2006.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:48 (Ref:1424413)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back

The Frenchman is now talking to Midland about a seat for 2006.

Isn't everybody.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1424417)   #3
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Isn't everybody.
erm... I'm not lol
Old 5 Oct 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1424446)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they didn't choose him for driving Jarno's car in 2004 and they've not chosen him to be their third driver in 2006, so he obviously must look elsewhere.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1424450)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
erm... I'm not lol
I did,i told them i didn't have a superlicense but i had an LGV1 license.They gave me Minardi's phone number.

On a more serious note.The likelyhood of any current third or test driver getting a full time drive is getting smaller and smaller.There just aren't enough seats to go around.And with the demise of Minardi and Jordan it doesn't seem possible at all.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 15:26 (Ref:1424500)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Although the alleged new team that's after Sato (see Honda second team thread) suggests this may not be the case for much longer?
Old 5 Oct 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1424658)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Montagny will never get a seat in F1 I suspect......it will pass him by. Which would be a great shame.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 18:45 (Ref:1424663)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure if it is that much of a shame - he's no superstar, in my opinion.

Renault know him inside out - and clearly see Kovalianen as a better bet.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1424671)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not an earth shattering shame I admit, but it'd be nice to check him out in a race situation. He must at least be decent.

I don't see kovaleinen as the next Messiah either to be honest, given the way his GP2 season turned upside down, although people insist on saying it was all down to ART hitting the sweetspot, Heikki could have done better himself.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1424717)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Heikki's stock went up after the ROC last year, and i have to say i have been disappointed with what i've seen of the GP2 series, but i'm sure he would make a good pilot in F1.
Old 5 Oct 2005, 20:34 (Ref:1424750)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Heikki finished runner up in GP2 - hardly a disaster
Old 6 Oct 2005, 10:32 (Ref:1425191)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
No we shouldn't undersetimate the equipment factor with Heikki, he was far supeior to anyone else for half the season, until something changed with the ART entries, and even then he was far and away best of the rest..

I'd like to see Franck get a season in the same way as Firman and McNish eventually got a go. Like them he's proved himself as a solid quick performer and his technical knowledge of a title winning chassis and engine, would be a real asset to a lower order team needing to move forwards!!
Old 6 Oct 2005, 10:58 (Ref:1425212)   #13
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the Montagny/Midland rumour is related to the Davidson/Honda2 rumour ?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1425216)   #14
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Funnily enough, i've just inferred something similar on the 'Honda second team' thread!
Old 6 Oct 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1425231)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's been linked ot drives with smaller teams for a few years, and this could be his chance. I think he's right to move on, as he doesn't seem secure even as test driver at Renault, and has little chance of moving up through the team. They've tested him for a few years and obviously don't cosider him to be worth the long-term gamble.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1425527)   #16
EHS
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, Westchester, NY
EHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Franck Montagny has left Renault...
That's a shame. He seemed so, well, you know, French. Just like the car.
Old 6 Oct 2005, 17:45 (Ref:1425556)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Is that a good thing then?
Old 6 Oct 2005, 20:55 (Ref:1425713)   #18
EHS
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Is that a good thing then?
Well, no, I meant that there hasn't been anyone as obviously French in F1 since, say, Alain Prost (Villenueve obviously doesn't count).

Just as Button has the Brits loyalty, it would have been nice to have a Frenchman driving a French car for something else other than simply picking up a baguette at the local boulangerie.

I'm surprised Renault let him go. They're usually much more nationalistic than that, but perhpas with the Italian in charge, well,......
Old 6 Oct 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1425817)   #19
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS
Well, no, I meant that there hasn't been anyone as obviously French in F1 since, say, Alain Prost (Villenueve obviously doesn't count).

Just as Button has the Brits loyalty, it would have been nice to have a Frenchman driving a French car for something else other than simply picking up a baguette at the local boulangerie.

I'm surprised Renault let him go. They're usually much more nationalistic than that, but perhpas with the Italian in charge, well,......
So I take it you don't count M. Panis, then? After all, he did drive for Ligier (a Frenchman in a French team, if you don't mind), as well as BAR and Toyota!
Old 7 Oct 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1425844)   #20
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS
That's a shame. He seemed so, well, you know, French. Just like the car.
Isn't the car designed by English designers and built in England?!
Old 7 Oct 2005, 02:05 (Ref:1425892)   #21
EHS
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
So I take it you don't count M. Panis, then? After all, he did drive for Ligier (a Frenchman in a French team, if you don't mind), as well as BAR and Toyota!
OMG -- Panis, of course, so stupid of me. I should have remembered!

1994: 11th in Championship
1995: 8th in Championship
1996: 9th in Championship
1997: 9th in Championship
1998: 18th in Championship
1999: 0 in Championship
2000 : 0 in Championship
2001 : 14th in Championship
2002 : 14th in Championship
etc., etc.

Pardon moi

You must admit, he did "blend in a bit."
Old 7 Oct 2005, 02:07 (Ref:1425893)   #22
EHS
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
Isn't the car designed by English designers and built in England?!
And, thank God they don't use Lucas anymore.
Old 7 Oct 2005, 02:23 (Ref:1425898)   #23
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHS
And, thank God they don't use Lucas anymore.
Yup, they wouldn't make it as far as the end of the pitlane before something electrical packed up
Old 7 Oct 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1426143)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Back to Mr Montagny,

If he doesn't get an F1 race drive, he would definitely be of value to another top team as a tester i would have thought?

But if he wants to continue racing, where will he go? CART perhaps?
Old 7 Oct 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1426171)   #25
EHS
Racer

United States
He has only open wheel experience, so that's a logical place, or DTM, like everyone else from F1 these days.