Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:32 (Ref:1458091)   #1
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota/Bridgestone.

Toyota has announced a long-awaited switch to Bridgestone tyres for next season. What do you think.....will Bridgestone return to the form they had in the past?
Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1458102)   #2
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only if the don't purely concentrate on Ferrari, like they did before. At least with Williams and Toyota also doing userful testing mileage they shouldn't really have an excuse if they have a repeat of the 2005 season...
Old 11 Nov 2005, 13:47 (Ref:1458117)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
We are going back to tyre changes (pahh!),so BS stand every chance of repeating what they did in the previous 5 seasons.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1458290)   #4
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
However, I do not think that Toyota & Williams will get the same treatment as Ferrari get from BS.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1458293)   #5
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
We are going back to tyre changes (pahh!),so BS stand every chance of repeating what they did in the previous 5 seasons.
It depends if Michelin have caught up. In 2004 they were nowhere.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1458342)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The two tyre companies will be moee evenly matched in terms of how much testing they have done for them, and both have teams who will on paper be strong, but it seems like Michelin have a big lead on performance, as long as Birdgestone can't get back some big advantage from amking tyres to only last for a fraction of the race.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1458361)   #7
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
All the indications are that Bridgestone will be stronger next year - three big teams to work on development, and shorter stints.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 19:10 (Ref:1458374)   #8
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that Bridgestone will be stronger this year than last, but who's to say they will be better than Michelin? 2004 form isn't really something to judge it on. I'd prefer there to be a single manufacturer because then teams get an advantage because of how THEY are performing rather than how the tyres are performing.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 04:54 (Ref:1458611)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a good move. Like i've said earlier, having Toyota would be a huge benefit for Bridgestone, as Toyota has awesome levels of resources to push BS's developement.

It's ideal for Toyota on a long run too. If BS turns out to be strong next year, Toyota only need to beat one team (ie Ferrai). If BS isn't strong, it's BS fault, not Toyota's, for being not competitive. And when F1 turns to single tyres supplier (most likely Bridgestone), Toyota would be poised just nicely in time & quality to fight for the WDC/WCC.

I'm cautious about predicting 2006. In 2003/04, Michelin and Bridgestones are relatively competitive and close, if not Michelin occasionally ahead. Hopefully, the 2005 season, and the help of Williams and Toyota would help to push BS enough. But let's not forget that Michelin still have Mclaren, Renault, BMW, RedBull and Honda...that's still twice as many Manufacturers teams.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1458649)   #10
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm guessing its a pre-emptive strike so that they have 1 year of Bridgestone experience when the single tyre rule comes in 2007. There may also be an element of nationalism in it too, Japanese car on Japanese tyres. With present data, the BS does not look as strong as the Michelin, so they must know something we don't.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 15:04 (Ref:1458930)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
There may also be an element of nationalism in it too, Japanese car on Japanese tyres.
Marketing element more like, Toyota road cars are equipped with Bridgesone road tyres iirc.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1459001)   #12
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a very interesting news.
In my opinion Mr V got the most important point because being Toyota cars equipped with Bridgestone, this can put them in a very strategic position for F1 supply and tests.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bridgestone develloping F1 tyres very closely with Toyota.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 21:59 (Ref:1459163)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Ideally Williams and Toyota would put Ferrari-esque testing teams into operation.

I wouldn't hold out for Williams going full on like that, but Toyota most likely.

A full flow of information with regards tyres etc is what is needed. Hopefully Ferrari will be fully aware of this and cooperate.
Old 12 Nov 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1459244)   #14
ScuderiaV8
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
ScuderiaV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IIRC Pascal Vasselon now works for Toyota F1, and used to play a major role within Michelin. He could potentially provide an insight into developing the Bridgestone tyres, not necessarily in terms of information about Michelin tyres, but with his extensive knowledge in tyre technology.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 06:46 (Ref:1459390)   #15
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Toyota road cars in Oz are fitted with Dunlops or Pirelli as standard, but I could be wrong.
Old 13 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1459664)   #16
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some great points made and an interesting point made by Mr V. To be honest when I first read about the deal involving toyota and bridgestone I thought now there is an interesting partnership. Think about it toyota have a massive budget for there f1 program they could really help each other here. Yet again ferrari, s past could come back to haunt them meaning that bridgestone have experienced alot of success in formula one and they have also seen the advantages of focusing on one team. I never understood why bridgestone where not with toyota from the beginning but then again they where having so much success with ferrari. I think f1 has changed a great deal over the last ten years or so. Its no longer small teams with big named engines racing its massive companies and they are putting there image at stake. For all we know maybe toyota have done a deal with bridgesone to supply all new toyota road cars with there rubber which would be one hell of a contract to have.....as I say its no longer small teams racing
Old 14 Nov 2005, 03:45 (Ref:1460041)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Marketing element more like, Toyota road cars are equipped with Bridgesone road tyres iirc.
Among many other brands ..... at least for the time being.
Old 14 Nov 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1460065)   #18
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
I think Toyota road cars in Oz are fitted with Dunlops or Pirelli as standard, but I could be wrong.
My new Corolla was delivered last month with Dunlops fitted.