Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2006, 12:34 (Ref:1600634)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Montagny replaces Ide

Franck Montagny will become the first French F1 driver since Olivier Panis in 2004.
Old 4 May 2006, 12:39 (Ref:1600643)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Vive La France!
Old 4 May 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1600654)   #3
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link here

Guess this was always on the cards eventually, though Im surprised it happened so soon, and on "advice recieved from the FIA" (along the lines of "its not a good thing to have one car three seconds slower than the other", presumably! ) Will be interesting to see how Franck gets on, having never driven the car before he will do well to get close to Sato initially, although maybe Sato has been in a 'comfort zone' recently due to Ide's lack of pace...
Old 4 May 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1600658)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, you have to say we'll get more of a representative idea of Sato's pace now.

That said, Super Aguri hasn't looked bad overall. They've been embarrassing Midland. Alright, they haven't beaten them but they've been ridiculously close given the time restraints in preparing for the season.

Anyone know how their budget compares to Midland's?
Old 4 May 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1600668)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Good news!
Old 4 May 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1600673)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh this is great news. It'll be interesting to see how Montagny compares to Ide within a few races. Also, in comparison to Sato, too..?

Selby
Old 4 May 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1600684)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
This is a turn up for the books!

I'd only just been reading how Montagny was due to undertake the Friday testing role in Germany, with a view to perhaps replacing Ide at some point in the future. Just goes to show that things travel fast in F1.

Given the relative abilities of the two drivers, this change is certainly a step in the right direction. I hope Franck can do justice to his undoubted talent, especially once the new car is revealed.
Old 4 May 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1600750)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Franck will have to jump into a completely unfamiliar car, just as Yuji did, but the difference is that Sato is now familiar with the car, and seemingly finding some genuine pace (in relative terms). I know Franck has some F1 experience, but if he can get within a second of Taku this weekend he'll've done extremely well.

It was inevitable that the Imola incident was hasten their man's demise - presumably he will now be their 3rd driver, and might get the drive back if he impresses once there is a 3rd car?

As for budget versus Midland, I suspect it is a lot smaller for this part of the season - it's basically a holding operation util the new car is ready, with only minimal legality development done on the car, and probably less mechanics than Midland. Long term Aguri seem to have much more potential, with stronger people in almost every area.
Old 4 May 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1600753)   #9
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good news but I hear that people in Japan are pretty unhappy about that such that Honda is considering buying MF1 to give Ide a drive.
Old 4 May 2006, 17:10 (Ref:1600771)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Best news all season! Now let's see what Franck can do.
Old 4 May 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1600774)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Here here.
Old 4 May 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1600775)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Good news but I hear that people in Japan are pretty unhappy about that such that Honda is considering buying MF1 to give Ide a drive.

sell your honda shares now!!!
Old 4 May 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1600798)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Very good news. This had to be done.
Old 4 May 2006, 18:09 (Ref:1600804)   #14
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well Good News, For some

Ide Can't be happy i really dowt we will see him race again.

Just goes to show how tough buisness is

I wonder how super aguri (honda) will do now
Old 4 May 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1600809)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Better probably.
Old 4 May 2006, 18:43 (Ref:1600823)   #16
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd certainly think so. They'll have two experienced drivers now, which should help their race set-ups and development. And, the team still has a Japanese driver. It's all good.

I hope Montagny goes well.
Old 4 May 2006, 19:34 (Ref:1600856)   #17
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to be good news all round, i have always rated Montagny and i felt he was very hard done by when Renault overlooked him and put Jacques in the car to replace Trulli, his chance is long overdue, hopefully he can get within a second of Sato this weekend and build from there, when the new car comes along we could be in for a few shocks from the SA boys now.
Old 4 May 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1600869)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
common sense has prevailed !!!

Good luck Franck
Old 4 May 2006, 20:21 (Ref:1600871)   #19
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Franck is in. That's great news. Now if we could only get to see Ant get a ride....
F1 (IMHO) would get a real shot in the arm if we could get both those guys in decent cars, OK, any cars.
Looking forward to the next two races....
Mike
Old 5 May 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1600953)   #20
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never taken much notice of what's happening down at S.A. but do they run lots of practice laps, then slot in a new engine for the race taking the 10 position hit each time? I would be, and hopefully they do for the new guy!
Old 5 May 2006, 03:45 (Ref:1601002)   #21
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
How many cars to Aguri have then? can they afford to send Ide out on Friday..
Old 5 May 2006, 06:40 (Ref:1601030)   #22
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Its not a renault (Where he should be) but its a start.

good luck to him

and Congrats to Ide as well he has driven in 4 Grand Prix Fullfilling a dream (Im sure alot of would love to be able to tell people that )
Old 5 May 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1601108)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
Here here.
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you'll find that the phrase is Hear, Hear.
Old 5 May 2006, 09:55 (Ref:1601141)   #24
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just checked the live streaming of prac 1 and FM is faster (at the moment - 6 min to go) than Sato!
Old 5 May 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1601144)   #25
Swiss
Racer

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Swiss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was inevitable based on his performances to date but he has probably played a bigger part for the team than we give him credit for, as he was part of the all japanese angle that they played to begin with and that has helped them get going initially. It will be interesting to see how he gets on in the Friday role as to whether he can learn and adapt and if his times start to improve if he'll be given another outing