Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Jun 2012, 15:43 (Ref:3090217)   #376
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
These cars are not designed to run high speeds and asphalt, they are setup largely to run tar and loose, so flat out stuff is gonna make them run hot.

And they certainly are not designed to be jumped, at all, ever.
Did you ever watch Rally Finland?
Old 13 Jun 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3090347)   #377
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Err, that is a gravel rally wher the cars are designed to take the jumps! Not at all the same as rallycross
Old 14 Jun 2012, 08:17 (Ref:3090557)   #378
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
And they certainly are not designed to be jumped, at all, ever.
I don't really agree with this. The various X-Games rally events have included jumps which have been taken by the vast majority of rally and rallycross cars without issue.

There are numerous rallycross tracks where the cars lift all four wheels off the ground (I appreciate thats not the same as a jump), but consider Holjes where you have an actual jump (which the cars take ever lap): they must be designed from the outset to withstand at least some vertical impact when you have tracks like this on the established rallycross calendar.

I appreciate that Finland isn't a fair comparison, but if a rally car can be given the right combination of suspension components to take a series of yumps and bumps flat out, I think saying that a rallycross car is "not designed to be jumped, at all, ever" is a bit of a silly statement. But...
Quote:
...without it having a stupid ridge in the land zone then maybe it might work better.
...I do agree with this: the design of the jump definately didn't look right.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:17 (Ref:3090741)   #379
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not take the GRC to one of the trophy truck tracks for a race? Sure they are a bit longer than European Rallycross tracks and have a few jumps but they have similar feel and would bring the dirt back. If not for the GRC, then they could try it with the US rallycross series.

Crandon is a good track that comes to mind.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 12:00 (Ref:3090783)   #380
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They planned to do that last year but pulled the plug on it, I think possible because they felt the jumps would be too rough.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 12:39 (Ref:3090812)   #381
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Why not take the GRC to one of the trophy truck tracks for a race? Sure they are a bit longer than European Rallycross tracks and have a few jumps but they have similar feel and would bring the dirt back.
I think that would be spectacular to watch... but it would be absolute carnage.

List of initial X-Games invited drivers now up:

http://espn.go.com/action/xgames/sum...vited-athletes
Old 14 Jun 2012, 17:57 (Ref:3090994)   #382
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The X Games guest drivers are the top 14 at the GRX after Charlotte and Texas. Liam Doran is missing...

It's 6 Americans, 2 Finns, 2 Brits, and 1 each from Norway, Sweden, France and New Zealand.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3091005)   #383
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
What's the maximum drivers at the X Games? I was wondering if Rally America drivers are trying to compete, in particular David Higgins, Antoine L'Estage, Andrew Comrie-Picard and Verena Mei.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3091008)   #384
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well going by Twitter, it looks like Loeb may well be doing the X-Games....

Wouldn't have thought it was his thing, but, he will try different disciplines.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 18:38 (Ref:3091023)   #385
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He will try anything if he gets paid enough to turn up!!

And the man doind the pushing is his fellow Red Bull mate Pastrana, shock horror!!
Old 14 Jun 2012, 20:25 (Ref:3091069)   #386
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ERC24 has the story too
http://erc24.com/2012/06/loeb-in-hansen-ds3-to-x-games/
Old 15 Jun 2012, 03:02 (Ref:3091220)   #387
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Wow!!!
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3091293)   #388
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Well its an unexpected bit of news, but X-Games is certainly shaping up to be the highlight of the GRC.

Be very interesting to see how Loeb copes with a rallycross car. In theory Doran should be challenging for a podium spot again, but the C4 he has in Texas didn't look anywhere near as strong as the car he had there last year.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 08:56 (Ref:3091309)   #389
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh lord, oh lord, oh lord... Travis what have you done?

This should be Loeb's theme for the X-games.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 10:02 (Ref:3091336)   #390
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I now see a comment on Facebook indicating that Doran may race at Holjes instead of X-Games? (Hence why his name isn't on the list)

Video of Pastrana "calling out" Loeb here:

http://www.rallyworldnews.com/2012/0...-pastrana.html

Quite a good comment in the article as well: "Pastrana should focus on the talents of the current X Games RallyCross field before calling for possibly even tougher competition"!
Old 15 Jun 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3091337)   #391
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
According to this Doran will be there.

Plus looking at his Twitter he seems to be going.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3091354)   #392
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
According to this Doran will be there.

Plus looking at his Twitter he seems to be going.
Thats confusing: the comment I read saying he was doing Holjes instead was on his Facebook!

I'd be surprised if his sponsors let him favour Holjes over X-Games, but I guess a win in Europe is better PR than a loss at X-Games, so perhaps it will be an option for him.

EDIT: Slight expanded article now up on the Rallycross World website:

RallycrossWorld.com - Loeb to X-Games

Interesting to read that Loeb will behind the wheel of the DS3 used by Timur Timerzyanov in the ERC this year: they are definately taking a race winning car to the US!

Last edited by tbtstt; 15 Jun 2012 at 10:55.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 17:22 (Ref:3091566)   #393
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
IIRC the top 14 after round 2 gets an invitation for X Games. Doran is only 16th...so that's probably the reason why he will race in Holjes.
Old 15 Jun 2012, 22:19 (Ref:3091654)   #394
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Marcus vs Séb will be epic. Too bad Colin isn't around...
Old 16 Jun 2012, 07:28 (Ref:3091778)   #395
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
IIRC the top 14 after round 2 gets an invitation for X Games. Doran is only 16th...so that's probably the reason why he will race in Holjes.
If it was that way how can Loeb become included?
I bet there will be at least 16 starters.
Pretty sure that Doran will be in LA and not Höljes.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3091814)   #396
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
If X-Games is being run like it has in previous years then a set number of "automatic" invitations would be issued based on previous winners and relevant championship standings (which is GRC this year, though has been Rally America in the past). However there have always been additional slots available for invited drivers.

Niall McShea, Sverre Isachsen, Kenny Brack... all drivers who hadn't been involved with Rally America or the GRC (at the time), but all of whom had "guest" invitations extended to them.

I would have expected Doran to get an automatic invitation due to his gold last year, but perhaps they've ignored that as the head-to-head format on Saturday appears to have been dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38
Marcus vs Séb will be epic. Too bad Colin isn't around...
Yeah. The last issue of Rallycross World had a couple of paragraphs on McRae and, given all the elements, it seems inevitable he would have appeared in rallycross sooner or later.

Loeb responds to Travis Pastrana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59rtLGSskdE
Old 16 Jun 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3091833)   #397
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Loeb responds to Travis Pastrana:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59rtLGSskdE
In borrowed plumes...
Not a single word about Hansen nor what car they use for Loeb.
Just a few times a Hansen Motorsport mech in the back.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 12:48 (Ref:3091908)   #398
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
In borrowed plumes...
Not a single word about Hansen nor what car they use for Loeb.
Just a few times a Hansen Motorsport mech in the back.
Oh yeah, I never noticed that. I assumed the engineer they interviewed was Hansen Motorsport, but I see he (and the other marketing bloke) are both "Citroen Racing" aren't they?

Can't even see a mention of Hansen Motorsport on the car.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 12:52 (Ref:3091912)   #399
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
To be honest I find it all a bit fony.

He will be getting paid to go, and no dount will enjoy it, but this just annoys me.

This series gets so much airtime and discussion, (agreed its new and different) and they can pull stunts like this only because of the money involved.

I only wish the ERC people could do this kind of thing now and then like they did years back when Delecour was in an RS200 and guys like Palmer, Blomqvist and Needell were in rounds, at least that was proper racing, not a staged stunt show like this stuff.
Old 16 Jun 2012, 14:02 (Ref:3091990)   #400
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Oh yeah, I never noticed that. I assumed the engineer they interviewed was Hansen Motorsport, but I see he (and the other marketing bloke) are both "Citroen Racing" aren't they?

Can't even see a mention of Hansen Motorsport on the car.
And they even try to make the people believe THEY have produced a DS3 XL version based on a RX car by Hansen... We did this, we did that...