Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 16 Oct 2001, 16:31 (Ref:161502)   #1
beachwood
Rookie

beachwood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do F1 cars have electronic starters

I was wondering if F1 cars have electronic starters. I thought they didn't. Could someone please tell me if I am right?

Isquick
Old 17 Oct 2001, 10:19 (Ref:161874)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You are correct, F1 cars are not allowed any on board starters under the regulations.
Old 21 Oct 2001, 18:56 (Ref:163615)   #3
Gennaro
Rookie

Gennaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that's entirely correct

Electric starters are allowed but the weight penalty for the starter and battery required to turn over a 3 litre motor at such high compression ratios makes them not worth it
Old 23 Oct 2001, 17:51 (Ref:164551)   #4
JGM
Racer

JGM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For some time they used air starters - a carbon fibre bottle of compressed air which was used to turn over a starter motor - as this was lighter than a battery. But I think even this has gone now. I don't think it's against the regulations to have a starter. In fact I think it used to be compulsory.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 12:07 (Ref:164810)   #5
wuzak
Rookie

wuzak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starter motors are not forbidden in F1 cars. The only reference to starting the engine (that I could find) in the 2001 F1 Technical Regulations is in Article 5 - Engine, and is as follows:

5.6 Starting the engine :
A supplementary device temporarily connected to the car may be used to start the engine both on the grid
and in the pits.

Also in Article 5, are the following clauses:

5.2 Other means of propulsion :
5.2.1 The use of any device, other than the 3 litre, four stroke engine described in 5.1 above, to power the car, is not permitted.
5.2.2 The total amount of recoverable energy stored on the car must not exceed 300kJ, any which may be
recovered at a rate greater than 2kW must not exceed 20kJ.

It is quite probable that it is clause 5.2.2 that would render a starter motor illegal.

The weight of the starter motor would a consideration - more for its positioning since most F1 cars are under weight and carry ballast.

The Tech Regs can be found at the FIA site:

http://www.fia.com/homepage/selection-a.html

There are regs on other formulae, lists of approved equipment, sporting regulations and much more here.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 17:40 (Ref:164935)   #6
duckers
Rookie

duckers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wuzak, I think what you say about Article 5.2.2 is considered for other things like Re-generative Braking Systems. I very much doubt that a starter motor comes under this for because it is preventing any system capable of recovering useful energy when the engine is running.

A starter motor uses stored energy from a battery to start the engine and I would of also thought that the power for a starter motor for motor racing purposes wouldnt exceed much over 2kW (although I could be wrong about that power figure).

Duckers
Old 25 Oct 2001, 10:57 (Ref:165203)   #7
wuzak
Rookie

wuzak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
duckers, after reading the regs again, I agree with you.

However, I have read that some Le Mans racers have used the starter motor to recover to the pits after running out of fuel. So they are capable of propulsion (obviously Le Mans cars are required to carry starter motors and batteries).

I guess the reasson, apart from weight issues, that starter motors aren't used is that when an F1 car stops on the cicuit it is usually a serious failure and starting the motor would be pointless.