Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Jan 2004, 23:05 (Ref:827744)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Servia

Our weekly Champ Car interview at www.rfmsports.com is Oriol Servia.

Unfortunately he does not at this writing have a drive for 2004.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 08:08 (Ref:827984)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
spewin' , i like oriol - too many dnf's in 03
Old 5 Jan 2004, 15:55 (Ref:828441)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He won't get a drive. He's been involved for 4 seasons and has never really got the job done. it hasn't all been down to bad luck. I wonder what Philipp Peter or Casey Mears could've done with an extended chance.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:58 (Ref:828924)   #4
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given - not all down to bad luck, he's had his mistakes. but then Paul Tracy also had his mistakes. (and only won a title 10 years after his debut). I just think patience is surprisingly short on Oriol, when on some people's view he's failed to delivery. But I think that he can only be criticised this year. The past three years have been quite good given the circumstances. And this one has been quite good. Face it, he's been here 4 years but he's only been in a winning position this year. And he came oh-so close. But he could've hardly won in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

I don't think patience can run out so quickly after only one year in a winning car.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 23:06 (Ref:828933)   #5
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great interview
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:05 (Ref:829027)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasn't about 4 years of frustration in his performance, it was about not doing it in 2003. Jourdain and Dominguez may have stunk for a while, but then they showed they had it when they had the chance. Servia on the other hand showed strong signs that he had it, but then couldn't make it happen.

A comparison would be if Manning had gotten a shot with NH or Forsyth and then been mostly mid-field.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:14 (Ref:829031)   #7
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he isn't one of super-top-drivers, but shure, he is one of the good drivers in CART... and I agree, Oriol should get a "second" chance for a seat in a winning car and in one of the top two car teams...
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:38 (Ref:829049)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Servia just didn't seem to cut the mustard. Now I'd rather see Wirdheim, Enge, Allmendinger and some other promising youngsters given a shot before Oriol.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 03:04 (Ref:829095)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly Raven. Half the Atlantics field deserve a shot for 2004 but it aint going to happen for more than 1 or 2 of them.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 11:10 (Ref:829282)   #10
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
will one of them be aj allmendinger - hope so, reckon he could be a gun
Old 6 Jan 2004, 17:07 (Ref:829634)   #11
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
The question is: was Patrick at NH or Fosythe's level? I don't think so. The fact that Oriol came without a sponsor doesn't make the team superfunded.

On the other hand... what is Visteon doing? They are out, right?
Old 6 Jan 2004, 18:31 (Ref:829702)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AJ should be in with RuSport. It won't be easy, but I look forward to seeing what they might be able to get done.

Patrick probably wasn't as strong as Newman-Haas or Forsythe, as they didn't appear to have as much funding. However, it's losing out to Jourdain and being stuck battling with Dominguez, Manning and Tagliani, all of whom weren't in competitive teams and had other elements theoretically weakening them (Manning's inexperience, pressure on Mario to follow up Surfer's, Rocketsports being new and a sideline from TransAm / Gentilozzi's wider efforts in buying CART), that I'd regard as a mediocre effort. Any of the guys Raven named appear to have more going for them.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 19:50 (Ref:829778)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
I'm off the discussion, we'll never agree anyway.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 20:05 (Ref:829791)   #14
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordi, seeing you are from Catalonia I can understand your disappointment at Oriol being written off by many. Hey...maybe you are really Oriol joining the forum in disguise. In fact if you rearrange the letters in Jordi it spells ....orijd.... ummmm never mind.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 22:13 (Ref:829915)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
i remember when telefonica sponsored oriol - great looking car that..... no hispanic market for sponsors in the US
Old 7 Jan 2004, 23:24 (Ref:831023)   #16
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
OK, I'm back.

No! I'm not Oriol, I'd like to be though. I guess Uri is busy looking to finalize his plans for next year.

Telefónica... There's an Hispanic market in the US, just look at the Miami area alone; but Telefónica got a new CEO near the end of 2000 and from sponsoring:

-F1, Minardi, Marc Gené
-CART, PPI, Oriol ServiÃ*
-WRC, Ford, Carlos Sainz
-MotoGP, all categories, various riders
-Le Mans, Reynard ROC, Jordi Gené & co.
-F3000, Astromega, Fernando Alonso

they have only continued the MotoGP and WRC sponsorship. Pity.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 23:47 (Ref:831047)   #17
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... and the Telefonica World Series by Nissan
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:02 (Ref:831440)   #18
Schuberth
Rookie

Schuberth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I hope he's got a ride for 04. I think he is deserving of it, I don't think bouncing around from team to team helps any either. Unfortunatly, I think todays drivers are in need money to get a drive. Has money ruined OW like it has hurt the other major sports? It just will not be the same watching if my favorite driver isn't in the field.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:09 (Ref:831445)   #19
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of getting to watch Servia race in CART, we have the pleasure of wathing Lavin. The only thing I like about Lavin is his nice looking car.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:23 (Ref:831456)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And don't forget the free Corona at the paddock!
Old 8 Jan 2004, 12:29 (Ref:831463)   #21
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And don't forget the free Corona at the paddock!
Corona isn't that good, but then again, if it's free....
Old 8 Jan 2004, 17:24 (Ref:831774)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
A Dutch driver sponsored by Grolsch would be much better. And I'm sure that driver couldn't be as bad as Lavin, who's inept no matter how much beer you've drank, or how little he's drank.

Certainly Telefonica have changed their sponsorship approach by throwing big money into that one series, which forced Giancarlo Minardi into selling up, nearly ended Sainz' career and has now endangered Oriol's. It's unfortuate for international racing fans, especially as the World Series is largely unneccessary and splits the talent pool at that level.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 23:39 (Ref:832146)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Telefonica do not sponsor the World Series anymore, it's now the Superfund World Series (SWS).
Boots, we seem to disagree on everything! I don't think SWS is unnecessary. More so when with half the cost they lap similarly to F3000 cars. But of course, it's a bigger problem. Before F1, there's F3000, Euro F3000, World Series, any F3 championship, F-Nippon. The talent pool is undoubtedly split, but could all championships fuse into one?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 06:33 (Ref:832345)   #24
BobbyB
Racer

United States
Santa Barbara, CA, USA
BobbyB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
Corona isn't that good, but then again, if it's free....
Have to disagree about Corona. In a hot climate, it is outstanding! A slice of lime on the side of your beer glass- man, you're livin' right! Hugely popular in the Southwestern US.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 17:40 (Ref:832860)   #25
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Telefonica was almost a freebie w/ Oriol at PPI. That was a Toyota funded effort and Telefonica got to put their name on the car because they gave minimal $. It appears that Oriol's Catalonian backers didn't help last year and probably won't help this year. It's a shame.