Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1651222)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Silverstone Classic - 28-30 July (with photos)

Only 3 weeks away now, so time, I think to open a thead. Over 500 cars, 22 races over the 3 days, should make this a superb event. See here for all the details:-

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/

I'm hoping to make it there on Saturday and Sunday. Who else is going?
Old 9 Jul 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1651237)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I'll be there Friday & Saturday, can't make Sunday as I have to be at Brooklands. Looking to this.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1651267)   #3
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes!!

I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Last year was excellent.
Old 9 Jul 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1651498)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
sadly I will be on holiday but my co driver Roger Wills will be out in our Lotus Cortina and also in his Daren Sportsracer
Old 9 Jul 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1651781)   #5
Andrew Fellowes
Veteran

Australia
Tamborine Mountain, Qld. Australia
Andrew Fellowes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
16 years since I was last at Silverstone, Nick, Lincoln if you read this then giving you plenty of time to run!
Looking forward to seeing some new faces from around here too. Can't do Sunday, heading home to Oz.

All the changes since the 70's & 80's will be interesting, will I like them? John, see you at Ted's at 9am Saturday.

Andrew
Old 10 Jul 2006, 07:44 (Ref:1651944)   #6
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jason and I will be there in the Falcon.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1651974)   #7
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be there Saturday & Sunday. Last year was great, this year looks even better. If TGP was on the bill too, it would of been perfect.

Cant wait though!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1652051)   #8
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose I ought to turn up - sombody might notice if I don't - or, there again, maybe not!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1652182)   #9
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I suppose I ought to turn up - sombody might notice if I don't - or, there again, maybe not!
I think we might notice if you are not there!!

Alan and I will be there, me as Chief Marshal (also acting as Dep Chief Flag) and Alan as Chief Flag.

If anyone wants to volunteer to marshal any of the 3 days and has not already done so, please drop me a PM.

Fay
Old 10 Jul 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1652450)   #10
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Planning on being there Sat & Sun, to be found roaming the paddock both days, well, the mornings at least
Old 10 Jul 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1652807)   #11
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Down to do the three days,looking forward to it having missed last year
Old 11 Jul 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1653647)   #12
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going all three days this year as we hardly had time to wander the paddocks last year over two days.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1654295)   #13
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just looked on the Formula Junior website. They've got a full grid of 44 cars, and 16 reserves!
Old 13 Jul 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1655222)   #14
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a shame that the Juniors will only be on the circuit on Friday.It seems that they have been sacrificed to that spot at the expense of 2 motorcycle races on Saturday and Sunday. Please can we swap one of the bike races for the juniors.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1655318)   #15
stuart05
Racer

England
Southampton
stuart05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Provided we don't break it at Brands this Saturday, I'm proud to say that one of our MG Metro's will be on display on the CSCC stand.
If last years' event is anything to go by this should be a fantastic weekend.
MG Metro #35 - Proud Class A Series Winner CSCC Tin Tops 2006
Old 13 Jul 2006, 17:57 (Ref:1655544)   #16
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reserve Juniors have been offered a chance to join the HGPCA races, so some of them will be out over the weekend.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1655636)   #17
lifeof
Rookie

lifeof should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks brilliant programme but it is a shame that it is at such an dreadful venue with the public 'miles' from the action.
Old 13 Jul 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1655642)   #18
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeof
Looks brilliant programme but it is a shame that it is at such an dreadful venue with the public 'miles' from the action.
You should try wandering around the open paddock, that would probably take all weekend by its self!
Old 15 Jul 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1656969)   #19
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy has very kindly allowed me to use EMU (Aston Martin DB2) in the Aston race, he is on a corporate day or something with his company entertaining and can't come (he was entered in the Woodcote trophy race), look forward to seeing some of you there, but my team & i will also be looking after several other cars
Old 25 Jul 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1664251)   #20
Redneck Rocket
Racer

Canada
Battersea, London
Redneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRedneck Rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be there working on Friday, and then watching and hopefully getting sunburned on Saturday/Sunday. Staying at the BRDC campground. Various others from Classic & Sports Car to be there as well. Anyone staying at the circuit think a ten-tenths get together is in order?
Old 26 Jul 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1664806)   #21
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am so looking forward this meeting. I've always loved "proper" racing cars.
From a marshalling point of veiw, as long as I don't have to start pushing anyone out of the gravel (don't need to be doing that kind of thing in this heat), it'll be a super weekend. Particuarly looking forward to seeing the bikes out there as I seem to spend more time marshalling with them than I do cars.

Good luck to all who are competing, and hope to meet a few people after the days activities are finished.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 09:41 (Ref:1664808)   #22
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Rocket
Anyone staying at the circuit think a ten-tenths get together is in order?

I think that's been mentioned on the "marshals forum" Redneck.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 09:37 (Ref:1667655)   #23
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic

Hi everyone,

Having just arrived back from the USA where I have been having FUN for 2 months, I decided to go to the Silverstone Classic this weekend.

Overall, it was an excellent event and I found it hard to see everything in just one day.

I was planning to stay for Sunday and would have slept in my car overnight ( Motel/Hotel rates are so dear in this counrty ) but I am not quite so young these days........ and returned home last night to the comfort of my bed. At least I get the luxury to watch the German Grand Prix from my armchair....

The high price of gas ( sorry petrol !!! ) here in the UK is just crazy compared to the USA where they are complaining at $3+ a US gallon these days (they do not realise how lucky they are) and to make the journey twice was simply too dear.

My sincere thanks to Clerk of the Course Brian Pearson for looking after me in Race Control when I felt unwell yesterday morning...

It was lovely to see Frank and Judy Lyons. You guys are most certainly my kind of people and they would love you both Stateside. There is none of the snobbery with these two awesome people that you can get with some of the individuals in UK Historic Racing.

It was also to nice to touch base with John Smith again yesterday and John, you run an awesome Race Meeting as always...

You are the fairest Clerk in UK racing and are highly respected by all who know you.

Just one thought however. I hold a currect MSA Photographers and Jounalist Pass and it was almost worthless yesterday. I have worked very hard to get this Pass down the years especially working for Karting Magazine. When I went to the Media Centre to sign on, I was told that I was not able to, as these days you have to apply in advance for permission to go trackside. In fact the girls at the desk said that MSA passes are not worth much anymore. However they were very nice to me and said that it was OK to go down Pit Lane and they allowed me to have a cuppa and biscuit in the Media Cantre. Thanks ladies.....

My highlight of the day........The Hot Air Balloons yesterday morning....

See you guys around.

Have a nice day !!

Paula Hamilton
Old 30 Jul 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1667658)   #24
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spent the day there on Saturday and really enjoyed the day, I had hoped that Silverstone might have put up video screens (like Goodwood) so that you could see more of the races. Would much prefer from a spectating point of view that the meeting be transferred to Brands were you can see a great deal more of the racing.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 09:49 (Ref:1667663)   #25
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed

Brands Hatch is and always has been my favorite circuit...

Paula

QUOTE=kickstart]Spent the day there on Saturday and really enjoyed the day, I had hoped that Silverstone might have put up video screens (like Goodwood) so that you could see more of the races. Would much prefer from a spectating point of view that the meeting be transferred to Brands were you can see a great deal more of the racing.[/QUOTE]