Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Feb 2011, 03:41 (Ref:2833605)   #1
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 SuperTourers in NZ - 'Car Of Tomorrow'

V8SuperTourer announced for New Zealand

The monocoque chassis, like the Australian V8 Supercar 'car of the future' or COFT project, is built to not only accommodate both the current VE Commodore and FG Falcon bodies, but any other similar sized four-dour production vehicle such a Toyota Camry, BMW 5 series, etc. Interested vehicle manufacturers of four-door saloon cars of a similar size to the Holden VE and Ford FG models can apply for homologation to race in the V8SuperTourier series.

The V8SuperTourer utilises a strictly-controlled, 'one make', all-alloy, fuel injected and dry sumped 7-litre V8 ST engine. The power-plant is derived from the Le Mans C6R Corvette programme and hand-built in America. It delivers some 550hp at 6,800rpm and is expected to have a racing life of 10,000 racing kilometres before requiring maintenance. This engine is identical to that of the Mosler Automotive's current and very successful GT3 sports-car.

The drive-train consists of a triple-plate clutch, which delivers engine torque through a Quaife 6-speed sequential transmission via a two-piece pro-shaft feeding a classic 9' Ford differential, which is fitted with a Torsen-style limited slip, crown wheel carrier assembly in order to provide excellent traction in most conditions.

The rear suspension adopts the proven, yet simple in design and maintenance, three-link live rear axle fitted with camber and toe, CV style, floating rear hubs.

The front suspension is a sophisticated 'clean sheet', double wishbone layout that is also cleverly symmetrical from left to right, thus reducing spares' inventories, etc. Both the front and rear suspension oscillations are dampened by adjustable bump and rebound shock absorbers fitted with adjustable spring platforms.

The rack and pinion power steering assembly is mounted ahead of the engine in order to better optimise the front suspension geometry and the high loads generated under long distance racing events.

The V8SuperTourer uses 11x18' forged alloy wheels carrying 280 x 680 x 18' racing slicks or wet weather radial tyres.

The brake rotors are, in the front, 355mm ventilated and 328 mm in the rear, fitted with forged billet alloy brake callipers and F1 style brake-ducting. The brake package combines to stop the comparatively light car, which has an all up weight, including driver, of less than 1,300kg.

The V8SuperTourer is designed to have performance similar to that of a current Australian V8 Supercar and is specifically designed for both sprint and long distance, enduro style racing with its 120-litre capacity fuel cell.

interesting
Old 19 Feb 2011, 05:47 (Ref:2833622)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
NZ V8 SuperTourer Series Car Of The Future

Via email..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Release
V8SuperTourer to take New Zealand V8 touring car racing to new heights
A new racecar, a new series, and a new direction have been unveiled for the future of V8 touring car racing in New Zealand .

Kiwi V8 racing star Greg Murphy ushered in a prototype of the all-new V8SuperTourer racecar to prospective teams in Auckland on 16 February.

Designed and built by Paul Ceprnich, of Pace Innovations Australia, the prototype utilises a VE Commodore body mounted on a purpose-built monocoque chassis. It is 90% complete, requiring only the electronics, plumbing and other minor parts to be completed before the car’s first official test scheduled in six weeks time.

V8SUPERTOURERS LTD is a company formed by current NZV8 team owners Mark Petch, Wayne Anderson and Garry Pedersen. The aim of the company is to build a new generation, future-proofed V8 touring car, similar in concept to a current Australian V8 Supercar but at less than half the cost.

The monocoque chassis, like the Australian V8 Supercar ‘car of the future’ or COFT project, is built to not only accommodate both the current VE Commodore and FG Falcon bodies, but any other similar sized four-dour production vehicle such a Toyota Camry, BMW 5 series, etc. Interested vehicle manufacturers of four-door saloon cars of a similar size to the Holden VE and Ford FG models can apply for homologation to race in the V8SuperTourier series.

The V8SuperTourer utilises a strictly-controlled, ‘one make’, all-alloy, fuel injected and dry sumped 7-litre V8 ST engine. The power-plant is derived from the Le Mans C6R Corvette programme and hand-built in America . It delivers some 550hp at 6,800rpm and is expected to have a racing life of 10,000 racing kilometres before requiring maintenance. This engine is identical to that of the Mosler Automotive’s current and very successful GT3 sports-car.

The drive-train consists of a triple-plate clutch, which delivers engine torque through a Quaife 6-speed sequential transmission via a two-piece pro-shaft feeding a classic 9’ Ford differential, which is fitted with a Torsen-style limited slip, crown wheel carrier assembly in order to provide excellent traction in most conditions.

The rear suspension adopts the proven, yet simple in design and maintenance, three-link live rear axle fitted with camber and toe, CV style, floating rear hubs.

The front suspension is a sophisticated ‘clean sheet’, double wishbone layout that is also cleverly symmetrical from left to right, thus reducing spares’ inventories, etc. Both the front and rear suspension oscillations are dampened by adjustable bump and rebound shock absorbers fitted with adjustable spring platforms.

The rack and pinion power steering assembly is mounted ahead of the engine in order to better optimise the front suspension geometry and the high loads generated under long distance racing events.

The V8SuperTourer uses 11x18’ forged alloy wheels carrying 280 x 680 x 18’ racing slicks or wet weather radial tyres.

The brake rotors are, in the front, 355mm ventilated and 328 mm in the rear, fitted with forged billet alloy brake callipers and F1 style brake-ducting. The brake package combines to stop the comparatively light car, which has an all up weight, including driver, of less than 1,300kg.

The V8SuperTourer is designed to have performance similar to that of a current Australian V8 Supercar and is specifically designed for both sprint and long distance, enduro style racing with its 120-litre capacity fuel cell.

The inaugural V8SuperTourer series starts in New Zealand in February 2012 and finishes sometime in November 2012. Up to eight rounds will be run at circuits around New Zealand during that time with the annual series incorporating a mixture of sprint and endurance races. The series calendar will be designed to avoid clashing with the Australian V8 Supercars Championship and the Motorsport NZ summer series.

At the February pre-launch, teams were invited to indicate their intention of purchasing a new V8SuperTourer. The maximum field is 28 cars and 12 team owners were quick to register their interest, evenly split between six VE Commodores and six FG Falcons. Indications are that up to 24 new cars will have been sold by the time the series kicks of in February next year.

V8SUPERTOURERS LTD will release more details on the series, race formats, dates and TV coverage in the coming weeks.

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 19 Feb 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2833633)   #3
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks exciting, it will be great to have an NZ series to watch alongside the main Supercars championship...

I wonder if this planned to supersede the current NZV8's championship or will it run alongside it?
Old 19 Feb 2011, 08:30 (Ref:2833644)   #4
DJJ
Racer

DJJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
Looks exciting, it will be great to have an NZ series to watch alongside the main Supercars championship...

I wonder if this planned to supersede the current NZV8's championship or will it run alongside it?

As it stands the current cars have 2 years left as the championship class, the new cars will not run with the tier 1 series.

Mark will correct me if wrong, but that's how it stands at present.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2833693)   #5
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJ View Post
As it stands the current cars have 2 years left as the championship class, the new cars will not run with the tier 1 series.

Mark will correct me if wrong, but that's how it stands at present.

Happy to say your right DJJ, the current NZV8's have been given two more seasons as the premier Championship Series by Motorsport New Zealand.

Their next season will start in November and more than likely finish at Hamilton in April next year.

The all new V8 SUPERTOURERS SERIES, starts in February 2012, so there is some overlap, however the dates should not clash.

Other than the initial cost of the new generation cars, they will be significantly less expensive to run than the old 'Taxis' and here in lies the conundrum for the old girls, spend more money to run cheaper car, or bite the bullet once and for all.

Change is never easy, however if you dont change you risk withering on the vine.

I own two of the old jiggers so I am keen to see them continue on as a feeder Series to the new generation cars, but time will tell if their is life in the old girls, I hope so but I am not waiting around to see.

Mark Petch.
CEO. V8 SUPERTOURERS LIMITED.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2833709)   #6
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does the cost of the Quaife compare to a Hollinger?
Interesting to see the move to the 18 inch rims too, one up on the Aussies
Old 19 Feb 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2833923)   #7
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
How does the cost of the Quaife compare to a Hollinger?
Interesting to see the move to the 18 inch rims too, one up on the Aussies
The new Heavy Duty Quaife QBE69G retails for GB$6,595 about A$10,000, so its nearly half the price of the Hollinger. It is also a true sequential transmission, unlike the Holinger which is a converted H pattern rail transmission.

The QBE69G is designed to handle 750 BHP and 600 ftlbs of torque.

We spent some time evaluating this transmission including talking to owners of Dodge Vipers in the USA, some of them running well in excess of 750 BHP.

WE have a lot of testing in front of us, so I guess we will find out if there are any issues, well before the new Series gets underway in February next year.

Mark Petch.
V8 SUPERTOURERS.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2834051)   #8
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the best things this new car brings, in my eyes, is better parity between Ford and Holden, and we can see guys that have switched sides possibly come back, get that red v blue rivalry going again, be great to see this on track:

Look forward to seeing how the project progresses Mark.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 05:58 (Ref:2834092)   #9
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like what i see Mark! This is going to be awesome!

... Just hope they sound as good as the current cars

Kenny.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2834122)   #10
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just out of interest, what's the cost of one of these? (I'm in the UK, so its not for me, just being nosey!)
Old 20 Feb 2011, 09:36 (Ref:2834124)   #11
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR93 View Post
I like what i see Mark! This is going to be awesome!

... Just hope they sound as good as the current cars

Kenny.
Hopefully they do Kenny, but if the minority get there way, they may restrict the exhaust noise to less than 85 Db's, just like here, pity, loved the Group A and C bigbangers of th 70's, throaty exhaust thru corners , full boar down the straights, but as houses are built near circuits, Please Keep the noise down people. to many softies out there.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2834169)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 20 Feb 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2834286)   #13
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
Hopefully they do Kenny, but if the minority get there way, they may restrict the exhaust noise to less than 85 Db's, just like here, pity, loved the Group A and C bigbangers of th 70's, throaty exhaust thru corners , full boar down the straights, but as houses are built near circuits, Please Keep the noise down people. to many softies out there.

No such problems here in Gods-own, we even think that 95 Db is sacrilege!

Kenny, our 427 engines, spin another 600rpm higher that the current NZV8's, which are limited to 6400rpm, so with some clever plumbing on our side they should amazing roaring down the front straight at Puke.

Rest assured we know how important the exhaust noise is to fans, and if nesessary we will make however many exhaust systems it takes to get the job done.

Personally I cant wait to hear 20 plus big capacity 7 litre engines, rumbling down the hill, waiting to roar into action when the lights turn green.

Mark Petch.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2834325)   #14
Colin Corkery
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
Colin Corkery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I definitely cant wait to drive one,

Mark, what tyre is the class likely to use. Something similar to the control V8SC or a tyre with some more lateral grip?
Old 20 Feb 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2834336)   #15
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'SuperTourer'? Shame they didn't use a more original name.

But hopefully the new platform is a good move for Tier 1 motorsport in NZ.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 21:18 (Ref:2834354)   #16
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
[I]This engine is identical to that of the Mosler Automotive's current and very successful GT3 sports-car.
They've never built a GT3 car.
Old 20 Feb 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2834360)   #17
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.supercars.net/cars/2164.html

http://www.australiangt.com.au/car_s..._mt900_gt3.php

Both built to GT3 specs?
Old 20 Feb 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2834411)   #18
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume it would basically be a GM performance Parts LS7 crate motor. $20k US with titanium rods, CNC heads etc. Should be pretty easy to see if someone has played games in them, as there is very little to them.

Looks like a pretty good thing, and isn't a hashed together job, like what the current vehicles appear to be. Gotta agree though Supertourers first made me think of the 2-litre series we had on this sode of the Tasman. I would have thought Future Tourers would have worked better, especially since that appears to be what the cars are an extension of today.

Hope it all works out for the best and the take-up is good. I totally agree with your comments that sometimes you need to move forward, and congrats on making the decision to do so, even though I'm sure it was a difficult one to make.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2834419)   #19
Professor
Rookie

Professor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a website for the New Zealand V8 SuperTourers?

Sounds very interesting, would like to read more about it etc.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 00:16 (Ref:2834423)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Is there a website for the New Zealand V8 SuperTourers?

Sounds very interesting, would like to read more about it etc.
www.v8supertourers.co.nz

But its not active yet
Old 21 Feb 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2834438)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Story Here
Old 21 Feb 2011, 04:26 (Ref:2834465)   #22
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
They've never built a GT3 car.
are you sure?
Old 21 Feb 2011, 06:10 (Ref:2834474)   #23
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So any hints on how the series will be promoted and what a typical round will consist of?

Kenny.
Old 21 Feb 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2834821)   #24
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
www.v8supertourers.co.nz

But its not active yet
GTR, due to go "live" sometime today.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 04:45 (Ref:2835009)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the thing that is confusing is that NZV8's are going to continue to run as a separate "premier" class and this new series seems to be off on their own. Confusing for the fans and probably even those that run the current series. Personally I like the NZV8 name and I just don't get the arrangement. Probably you'll end up with weak grids for both and then it will be the end of the road.

I like the new car though.