Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 7 Sep 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2535879)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre season test (Queensland Raceway)

Pre season test will be at Queensland Raceway on the Monday before Surfers.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2536244)   #2
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will be interesting to see them testing on a track that pretty much no-one has previous knowledge about (except perhaps Team Australia).

And it's good to hear something from A1GP again with good info.
Old 7 Sep 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2536250)   #3
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
There are some WICKED bumps at that track - if the V8 Supercar guys talk about them all the time then the A1 cars will be bouncing all over the track in places.

Be pretty good to watch actually - track is very good from a spectator visibility point of view and is quite a technical track although it looks deceptively simple - be worth having a look.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 06:31 (Ref:2536375)   #4
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Oz F3 cars put on some pretty close racing at the last meeting. The bumps were noticeable but not devastating so the A1GP set up shouldn'r be too difficult. Some pretty fair bumps on the Surfers layout these days so probably a useful sorting exercise, and then of course there are the chicane kerbs to set up for as well.
Sounds like a good idea to me, and the opportunity for a few photo ops in the lead up to the Nikon race.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 13:46 (Ref:2536568)   #5
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what cars and who will prepare them, as A1 still has neither organised.
Old 8 Sep 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2536691)   #6
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh, if you have the possibility, go there and see the cars in action, even if it is just a test. You'll love it (take it from someone who has seen all the Zandvoort races live )
Old 9 Sep 2009, 03:11 (Ref:2536843)   #7
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
There are some WICKED bumps at that track - if the V8 Supercar guys talk about them all the time then the A1 cars will be bouncing all over the track in places.

Be pretty good to watch actually - track is very good from a spectator visibility point of view and is quite a technical track although it looks deceptively simple - be worth having a look.
The V8's seem to handle the bumps very well. They are HUGE- I am at a loss as to how F3 can handle them-unless they drove down the inside away from them.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 11:47 (Ref:2537011)   #8
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
The V8's seem to handle the bumps very well. They are HUGE- I am at a loss as to how F3 can handle them-unless they drove down the inside away from them.
These bumps have been responsible for many engine failures in F3. It is always in the competitors minds when deciding to compete there, and for several years F3 did not go there for this reason. I think the bumps would pose a substancial problem to the A1 cars having worked on both. Several years ago the circuit was asked to sort the bumps out by the F3 association, and they were basically told QR did not really care about single seaters racing there!
Old 9 Sep 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2537044)   #9
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced at an AMRS meeting at QR in 2007, and watching the F3s and FHoldens they would go down the 'wrong' side of the front straight then dive across to the left just before turn one in an odd line to avoid the bumps. I tried the same and it seemed to work, but the bumps are still there and probably worse now.

Jeff

Old 9 Sep 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2537145)   #10
diabloA1
Racer

diabloA1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry about the bumps. They are testing there, not racing. The focus is not the quickest lap times but rather to 'shake down' the car and to run a sweep (test configurations) and collect data. They will avoid the bumps if necessary.
Old 9 Sep 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2537195)   #11
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloA1 View Post
Don't worry about the bumps. They are testing there, not racing. The focus is not the quickest lap times but rather to 'shake down' the car and to run a sweep (test configurations) and collect data. They will avoid the bumps if necessary.
Funny I thought racing drivers were going to be driving!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 02:15 (Ref:2537464)   #12
diabloA1
Racer

Race drivers, the good ones at least, don't 'race' during testing.. unless instructed to by the team
Old 10 Sep 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2537532)   #13
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Race drivers, the good ones at least, don't 'race' during testing.. unless instructed to by the team
All the ones I've ever ran all came with oversized ego's!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2537568)   #14
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Throw out some names! Go on, you know you want to...
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2537588)   #15
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
You can tell who they are-they are the ones in the race suits!
Old 10 Sep 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2537680)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The V8's do 1min10 lap times - what will A1 do...
Old 10 Sep 2009, 14:02 (Ref:2537795)   #17
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
The V8's do 1min10 lap times - what will A1 do...
Gomick, if they actually make it to Oz I think about a 1min 2sec would be a good guess. If they wind up the push to past for full laps as they have done in the past, could possibly get close to 1min dead. ( a definate if they flatten the bumps into first corner)
Old 10 Sep 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2537876)   #18
diabloA1
Racer

Quote:
You can tell who they are-they are the ones in the race suits!
Fortunately the ones I work with are professional enough to understand team work and the whole point of testing. Engineers love them.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2538323)   #19
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Fortunately the ones I work with are professional enough to understand team work and the whole point of testing. Engineers love them.
As long as they win races as well!
Old 12 Sep 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2538964)   #20
diabloA1
Racer

Quote:
As long as they win races as well!
Yes they certainly have! Nothing like a great driver-engineer relationship
Old 15 Sep 2009, 07:07 (Ref:2540913)   #21
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Gomick, if they actually make it to Oz I think about a 1min 2sec would be a good guess. If they wind up the push to past for full laps as they have done in the past, could possibly get close to 1min dead. ( a definate if they flatten the bumps into first corner)
There is no way the will flatten those bumps. If they were not strapped in they would be ejected out of the cockpit like an F18 !
After you have someone go full tilt over the bumps make sure you come back here to report in --that is if you can find the car & driver!

Is this test going ahead? Confirmation?
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2541046)   #22
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Call me skeptical but other than Team Netherlands is anyone else expecting to be in Australia?.With only about 4 weeks to go there seems to be no news anywhere about whos likely to front.Theres certianally nothing being mentioned here about Team NZ participating this season,thier website hasnt updated since last season.I've been watching the news sites but there only appears to be news of drivers and team staff leaving A1 to pursue other Formula involvement.
It just seems strange theres so little positive news out there about the series getting under way shortly.Anyone else got some good news?.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2541370)   #23
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Call me skeptical but other than Team Netherlands is anyone else expecting to be in Australia?.With only about 4 weeks to go there seems to be no news anywhere about whos likely to front.Theres certianally nothing being mentioned here about Team NZ participating this season,thier website hasnt updated since last season.I've been watching the news sites but there only appears to be news of drivers and team staff leaving A1 to pursue other Formula involvement.
It just seems strange theres so little positive news out there about the series getting under way shortly.Anyone else got some good news?.
I would have called you optimistic.lol
Old 15 Sep 2009, 18:55 (Ref:2541458)   #24
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Call me skeptical but other than Team Netherlands
Reading the other thread it appears even that tiny bit of optimisim looks to have gone....
Old 12 Oct 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2559547)   #25
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is this test going ahead? Confirmation?

I emailed QR this morning asking about the test and how much it costs to get in... they replied and told me the test day is on, but it's a private session and strictly no public! Was really looking forward to heading out there and checking the cars out. Will have to wait until the Saturday at the SuperGP now..