Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2908624)   #26
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Head over to radiolemans and find the McLaren podcast...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2908627)   #27
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Toyota is likely, Nissan at least maintains a steady presence among the LMP ranks but Honda is already on their way out in LMP2 - So not very likely.

Aston may be around in some form or another but competively? Not unless they throw major money at their effort..

Peugeot already talks about 2014 so they´r most likely still around then.

We´ll probably end up with at least 3 manufacturers in 2014 ( Porsche/Peugeot/Toyota).

I wonder if Porsche's plans were one of the factors that gave the ACO the confidence to launch the WEC... they must have some long-time planning going on to make sure it dosen't turn out to be a Ratel-like failure.
Theres probably a bunch more manufacturers that we don't know about that have said they would come if the WEC was made.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2908630)   #28
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Interesting that you added Mclaren to this list. You might be on to something.
They won't be back unless there are some massive regulation changes coming up. They do wanna compete for overall honours, but only with machinery that resembles their actual road car models.

Porkies back at the front, yey. Spyders never really catched my imagination.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2908636)   #29
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wouldn't rule out Audi yet.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:48 (Ref:2908640)   #30
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For those that think this means Audi will be headed to F1 in 2014, I suggest you read some of the Adrian Newey comments that he made regarding future F1 engines and Audi, and If he is right it sounds like no chance they will go.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2908642)   #31
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The split between team people and driving talent would be pretty fascinating if Audi did remain.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2908644)   #32
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we're at it, I'd like to see another Ferrari LMP car. They built a very successful 333SP back in the 90's, so why shouldn't they again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
The split between team people and driving talent would be pretty fascinating if Audi did remain.
IF Joest is going to leave Audi, that is. Either Penske returns to the prototype sport, or one of the GT teams rises up.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2908675)   #33
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
COME ON FERRARI ..... RISE TO THE CHALLANGE , if you can !!!

I want to see Joest returning to the Porsche fold , where he came from and where he should be .

Shove Penske !!!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2908678)   #34
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Great news, I love Porsche, they belong in sportscars doing LMP type stuff. Can they run with Rothmans or Martini sponsors please?
Old 30 Jun 2011, 15:52 (Ref:2908679)   #35
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
For those that think this means Audi will be headed to F1 in 2014, I suggest you read some of the Adrian Newey comments that he made regarding future F1 engines and Audi, and If he is right it sounds like no chance they will go.
That they won't go to F1 dosen't mean they will stay in LMP1 though. They could be concentrating on touring cars, start a factory GTE project with the R8 or something else.

To be competitive in LMP1 you have to spend almost F1-like money and I seriously don't see VAG running two major programmes like that at once in the same series..it makes no sense.

Factories very rarely do this, for a good reason. The last instance of something like that I can remember is Peugeot & Citroen in the WRC in the early 2000s but even there PSA pulled the plug after a few years because it is a waste of money to have two of your own makes compete against each other.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2908683)   #36
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
That they won't go to F1 dosen't mean they will stay in LMP1 though. They could be concentrating on touring cars, start a factory GTE project with the R8 or something else.

To be competitive in LMP1 you have to spend almost F1-like money and I seriously don't see VAG running two major programmes like that at once in the same series..it makes no sense.

Factories very rarely do this, for a good reason. The last instance of something like that I can remember is Peugeot & Citroen in the WRC in the early 2000s but even there PSA pulled the plug after a few years because it is a waste of money to have two of your own makes compete against each other.
Yes, to me this makes a lot of sense, GT racing now (both GTE and WGT/GT3) is in a very lucrative and exciting time. They could still go for class wins at Le Mans as well as the Nurburgring 24 Hour honors overall. Plus I could see Audi focus on touring car racing around the world, my point was if they left LMP1 I doubt they would leave for F1.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:02 (Ref:2908687)   #37
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any risk of closing LMP1 category, because it's too dangerous (for example), and putting a new LMGT for supercars such as Porsche 918 and unchained McLaren MP4-12. And there's a rumour of a new super GT from Ferrari that will suit that category well. So, is there any risk to lose LMP1?
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2908689)   #38
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldnt bother me now , if Audi chose to get involved in F1 . They have proven their point , with miltiple wins , championships , fast laps , both petrol and diesel ..... huge entertainment for the vast majority of us interested in this kinda sports . I wish them well in their next endevor .

..... Oh , and we get Porsche back where it belongs !!!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:06 (Ref:2908691)   #39
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
So, is there any risk to lose LMP1?
No, the LMP1s provide the show, look at Le Mans, nobody even cared about the GT-class.

In order for the WEC to establish itself, it needs to provide spectacular racing that can somewhat compete with the "thrill" (yes, I know..) of F1 and the LMPs are what's needed.

The crashes are not getting any worse than what we´ve seen at Le Mans and given that absolutely nothing happened, we can assume that the cars are safe enough.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2908694)   #40
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
All we need is for Toyota/Dome to announce their future Le Mans plans and we would have a real party in LMP1.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2908707)   #41
porman
Veteran

porman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridporman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This could be exciting times in LMP1. I echo the sentiments of many here that Porsche belongs in the top category. It has taken far too long but some of my faith has been renewed. Looking forward to seeing what happens. Can you imagine several Porsche customer teams like we had in the 1980's. If the LMP class becomes the place to be, I can see this being a very lucrative move for Porsche.

Here's to hoping that we have 4 or 5 factory teams come 2014.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2908709)   #42
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Remember this? From the horse's mouth (Matthias Mueller):
Quote:
"We would not necessarily have to line up against Audi, but we would do it if we need to and it would mean there are two of the [VW] group's brands fighting in the races. The likelihood that the group wins would therefore obviously be increased."

He urged all the VW brands to get together to "agree on a motorsport strategy for the coming years".
http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/38588.html
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2908712)   #43
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
And in an interview with Adrian Newey, I think linked in the V6 for 2014 thread, Audi was a driving force for the I4s and now that they have supposedly backed out the teams, including veto powered Ferrari, agreed to the V6 formula that they mostly preferred.
The link: http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/52832.html

Quote:
I think this is very good example (VAG also ran Skoda & Seat but not in such direct competition). Peugeot had success before Citroen came, but the years against Citroen didn't turn out so well for Peugeot image-wise, I think...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:47 (Ref:2908716)   #44
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2908717)   #45
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
COME ON FERRARI ..... RISE TO THE CHALLANGE , if you can !!!

I want to see Joest returning to the Porsche fold , where he came from and where he should be .

Shove Penske !!!

As long as they are in F1, it wont happen...

As for Porsche returning to Le Mans. It's great news, I would love to be there in person to see it. Once they are in LMP1, I wonder how they will treat there GT program at Le Mans.

Because I do remember when the LMP2 Spyder was racing in the ALMS. There were a few GT2 Porsche teams upset with Porsche. I believe becasue, Porsche was not giving the GT2 teams the same effort at the LMP2 program, or was not good enough...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2908723)   #46
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi Sport Statement on Porsche’s Le Mans return

“This is the decision of Porsche company, a decision in which Audi is not involved. Audi relishes the prospect of every strong new opponent at Le Mans and in the new FIA Sportscar World Championship. Porsche’s entry into the LMP1 class is evidence of the high level of attraction of sport prototypes”.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2908732)   #47
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so what do we know about the 2014 rules?

BTW there could be another reason for porsche return, Audi now have 10 Le Mans victories and by 2014 that number could climb to 13, and porsche has 14 victories. the other 2 that porshce always count are with the engine only, the TWR Porsche WSC-95 was only porsche powered, the chassis was Jaguar.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2908737)   #48
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is amazing!
Porsche, Audi and Peugeot! (and with Toyota lurking)
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2908738)   #49
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Arakis- are showing your envy. The ACO and everyone else counts Porsche wins at Le Mans as being 16. What you choose to believe or count is your problem.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2908739)   #50
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
so what do we know about the 2014 rules?
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsjuly10.html

Go to "MINUTES OF THE LMP CONSTRUCTORS MEETING JUNE, 30th 2010".