Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Closed Thread

Old 5 Jan 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3185304)   #201
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd venture that if Dempsey are scrambling for funding then they might have to give the race a miss.

Which would be a shame as I'd really like to see a Mazda presence there.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3186248)   #202
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I'd venture that if Dempsey are scrambling for funding then they might have to give the race a miss.

Which would be a shame as I'd really like to see a Mazda presence there.
Unfortunately, I agree with your first statement.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 02:18 (Ref:3186253)   #203
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Updates right here:

I've replaced Nygaard for Makowiecki in the #99 Aston Martin. I've also erased Dempsey off the list for LMP2. Sad to see that. Also, since Jaime Melo is not racing for RAM Racing, instead it's Gunnar Jeanette at Dubai, I've got Jeanette down for RAM, which, I think, would demote them to Am, which they'd have a good chance of winning. That missing spot in ESM? Jaime Melo has filled it. I don't know if that would make them PRO, though...

EDIT:

I see that last year, the #66 JMW Ferrari entered 2 Gold drivers (I think it goes Platinum, Gold, Silver, and, finally, Bronze) and one bronze driver. The two gold drivers were Jonny Cocker and James Walker, and the bronze driver was Roger Wills. So has there been a rules change?

Update #2: I've got Ed Brown (Bronze), Scott Sharp (Gold), and Guy Cosmo (Gold or Platinum) for #62 ESM Ferrari.

Also got Melo in replacing Rui Aguas for #71.

Last edited by Beetle; 8 Jan 2013 at 02:30.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 04:48 (Ref:3186283)   #204
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Updates right here:

I've replaced Nygaard for Makowiecki in the #99 Aston Martin. I've also erased Dempsey off the list for LMP2. Sad to see that. Also, since Jaime Melo is not racing for RAM Racing, instead it's Gunnar Jeanette at Dubai, I've got Jeanette down for RAM, which, I think, would demote them to Am, which they'd have a good chance of winning. That missing spot in ESM? Jaime Melo has filled it. I don't know if that would make them PRO, though...

EDIT:

I see that last year, the #66 JMW Ferrari entered 2 Gold drivers (I think it goes Platinum, Gold, Silver, and, finally, Bronze) and one bronze driver. The two gold drivers were Jonny Cocker and James Walker, and the bronze driver was Roger Wills. So has there been a rules change?

Update #2: I've got Ed Brown (Bronze), Scott Sharp (Gold), and Guy Cosmo (Gold or Platinum) for #62 ESM Ferrari.

Also got Melo in replacing Rui Aguas for #71.
Melo is missing Dubai due to an injury. The JMW car last year was entered in GTE-Pro, so no restrictions on drivers there, and no rules change therefore. Also, Gunnar is also a Gold driver.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3186300)   #205
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...r-lm24-return/
TRG is making plans to run one of the GTE-Am Aston Martins at LM24.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3186304)   #206
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Updates right here:

I think adding potential entries is one thing but I don't really see the need to move around drivers constantly to fill gaps. There's no way of knowing. The teams don't even know and we won't know about a third of the drivers until a couple of months before the race.

As I said before there are routinely 30 or so rookies at the race each year.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 09:25 (Ref:3186328)   #207
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I tend to agree it's really very early to be expecitng to plug the driver gaps. I haven't even put up my 'guesslist' yet.........
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:55 (Ref:3186627)   #208
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
As Jeanette is American, I am actually switching Melo to RAM and Jeannette to ESM. That's good news TRG is going to make it! I really didn't expect that... also, I just can't see ESM putting all their eggs in one basket. I see them going with 2 cars, the first car being Ed Brown, Guy Cosmo, and Scott Sharp, the second being Johannes Van Overbeek, Gunnar Jeannette, and perhaps 10 Tenths very own Mike Hedlund! However, I think Anthony Lazzaro or Jeff Segal would be good options as well.

UPDATES:

Quote:
I think adding potential entries is one thing but I don't really see the need to move around drivers constantly to fill gaps. There's no way of knowing. The teams don't even know and we won't know about a third of the drivers until a couple of months before the race.

As I said before there are routinely 30 or so rookies at the race each year.
On your point, I sort of agree. But that's the whole point of speculation... maybe I'm taking it too far, but there you.
Old 11 Jan 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3187942)   #209
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Oliver Turvey just got signed to Jota. That's good news to hear they are building up their driver lineup! You can bet they will be at Le Mans.

That calls for another quick update.

EDIT: Also added Morand Racing and Sebastien Loeb Racing for LMP2.

Last edited by Beetle; 11 Jan 2013 at 22:39.
Old 12 Jan 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3188345)   #210
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am 99.9% sure that Gunnar Jeannette is ranked Gold. Ehret and Montecalvo were the amateurs with Luxury in 2012. Jeannette was actually one of the faster drivers in class. So, it would not move RAM or ESM or anyone to GTE-Am if he runs.
Old 13 Jan 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3188550)   #211
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Unfortunately, I agree with your first statement.
Well , after trading on their Le Mans win for the last 22 years , its about time Mazda dug a little deeper into their own pockets , imo .
Old 13 Jan 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3188554)   #212
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , after trading on their Le Mans win for the last 22 years , its about time Mazda dug a little deeper into their own pockets , imo .
I'm not sure that there is that much to dig from.
Mazda is one of the only Car manufactures to produce cars without mass sharing their platforms (they do share a bit with Ford), something which isn't cheap.
Also Mazda seems to use a unique business model of not following demand. The Mazda CX-5 is HUGELY demanded here in Denmark, but Mazda Denmark can't supply any as the manufacturing plants can't keep up. The CX-5 isn't the first car to run into these issues from Mazda, which are genuinely good and relative cheap cars, compared to their competitors!
Mazda could be more successful and sell more cars, but seems satisfied with their size and won't increase production out of fear of choking in over-production. (something many car manufactures do today)

So I actually understand Mazda's low level investment in Motorsport. Without looking at the numbers, I think that Mazda use a larger percentage of their revenue on motorsport, than Honda, Suzuki and Nissan does.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 04:22 (Ref:3188780)   #213
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So according to DSC David Brabham is looking for a ride in either LMP2 or GTE which suggests JRM won't enter LM or WEC.

How about a seat with Aston Martin in GTE? I think it's quite possible seeing as though he has a lot of history with AMR.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 05:19 (Ref:3188791)   #214
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
So according to DSC David Brabham is looking for a ride in either LMP2 or GTE which suggests JRM won't enter LM or WEC.

How about a seat with Aston Martin in GTE? I think it's quite possible seeing as though he has a lot of history with AMR.
Would have to be in a second entry as I doubt they would change the Turner/Mucke/Fernandez line up. Brabs would be a good asset for AMR as he knows the ropes and the team.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3188792)   #215
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Would have to be in a second entry as I doubt they would change the Turner/Mucke/Fernandez line up. Brabs would be a good asset for AMR as he knows the ropes and the team.
They will change that line-up, Fernandez left AMR after Silverstone last year so they need a third driver (who will probably be Fred Makowiecki).
Old 14 Jan 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3189069)   #216
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
I think by the sounds of it quite a good bet for Le Mans this year is Khaled Al-Mudhaf.

Maybe people saw him during the Dubai24 as the first Kuwaiti driver ever to take out a race license. I think he'd be a good addition to the race.

He says to E-I that he wants to do the race in the next few years. Looks like he has plenty of good potential contacts with teams. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he has money. So at the very least we should see him pop up in GT racing.

Between him and Al Faisal maybe this is a region which is starting to grow. Saudi Falcons admitted they want to eventually enter the race in a Z4. That would be superb.

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-15245.html
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3189073)   #217
Nigma
Rookie

Ireland
Sligo, Ireland
Nigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Saudi Falcons say they were running 'some' GTE spec parts on their car for the Dubai24? Perhaps this GTE effort is sooner than some of us may have expected.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3189077)   #218
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
Didn't Saudi Falcons say they were running 'some' GTE spec parts on their car for the Dubai24? Perhaps this GTE effort is sooner than some of us may have expected.
That would be a really nice surprise.

Most people seem to assume it could arrive in 2014. Who knows.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3189079)   #219
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-15267.html

also here

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105109

Unless i am very much mistaken, this article is saying that the BMW Z4 GTE will be present in the ALMS from the season opener at Sebring run by RLL.

So if this is correct then there is no reason why BMW couldn't run at Le Mans this year.

Also nice to see Maxime Martin finally get a works drive, now its time for the other man in the top 2 of GT drivers Fred Makoweicki to get a works drive.

Last edited by morningview66; 14 Jan 2013 at 19:47.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:47 (Ref:3189085)   #220
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post
Also nice to see Maxime Martin finally get a works drive, now its time for the other man in the top 2 of GT drivers Fred Makoweicki to get a works drive.
Looking likely that he might be getting a works drive, probably either with Aston Martin or with McLaren.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3189090)   #221
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Looking likely that he might be getting a works drive, probably either with Aston Martin or with McLaren.
I could see Makoweicki getting the drive when McLaren puts together its GTE team, especially if it is a tie up with Hexis.

I suppose its also quite possibly he could get the Aston drive if they expand to two pro cars. To be fair any Works GT Squad would do well to pick him up, definitely been one of the top GT drivers in all races he competed in the last 3 years. Got one over on McLaren works driver Parente last year.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 23:02 (Ref:3189199)   #222
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Level 5 participation in doubt unless a deal can be pulled together in conjunction with Dempsey it seems.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...s-david-stone/
Old 14 Jan 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3189204)   #223
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

also here

Unless i am very much mistaken, this article is saying that the BMW Z4 GTE will be present in the ALMS from the season opener at Sebring run by RLL.

So if this is correct then there is no reason why BMW couldn't run at Le Mans this year.

I believe the Z4 is homologated only by IMSA and not the ACO at this point.
Old 14 Jan 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3189207)   #224
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post

Certainly possible! I think he could be a good replacement for Kristian Poulsen. I am almost POSITIVE we'll see Sam Hancock in an AMR GTE as well as Allan Simonsen. Kristian isn't a bad driver but Brabs is definitely better.

Quote:
I think by the sounds of it quite a good bet for Le Mans this year is Khaled Al-Mudhaf.

Maybe people saw him during the Dubai24 as the first Kuwaiti driver ever to take out a race license. I think he'd be a good addition to the race.

He says to E-I that he wants to do the race in the next few years. Looks like he has plenty of good potential contacts with teams. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he has money. So at the very least we should see him pop up in GT racing.

Between him and Al Faisal maybe this is a region which is starting to grow. Saudi Falcons admitted they want to eventually enter the race in a Z4. That would be superb.

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...nce-15245.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigma View Post
Quote:
That would be a really nice surprise.

Most people seem to assume it could arrive in 2014. Who knows.
Quote:

also here

This whole discussion about BMW attempting a Le Mans effort in the Z4 GTE was something I was actually afraid to talk about. I thought I'd get killed if I dared to mention something as speculative as that!!!

Seriously, I do think it is an option. I'd just put it at 20% chance this year and 99.99999% chance next year.

I think a nice factory WEC effort for BMW could be one combining the drivers of Marc VDS, Vita4One, and perhaps DB Motorsport. And, at Le Mans, throwing in one (or maybe two!) cars with DTM drivers and other BMW GT3 drivers like, for example

Car 1: Joey Hand / Maxime Martin / Dirk Werner
Car 2: Andy Priaulx / Bruno Spengler / Augusto Farfus

Quote:
I could see Makoweicki getting the drive when McLaren puts together its GTE team, especially if it is a tie up with Hexis.

I suppose its also quite possibly he could get the Aston drive if they expand to two pro cars. To be fair any Works GT Squad would do well to pick him up, definitely been one of the top GT drivers in all races he competed in the last 3 years. Got one over on McLaren works driver Parente last year.
I'd actually give McLaren about a 5% chance of being at Le Mans with at least one car this year.

Here's the most epic idea for a McLaren Works GTE team ever (in conjunction with United Autosport...

Car 1 (Pro): Alvaro Parente / Alexander Sims / Frederic Makowiecki
Car 2 (Pro): Rob Bell / Andy Meyrick / Jamie Campbell-Walter
Car 3 (Pro): Matt Bell / David Brabham / Mark Blundell
Car 4 (Am): Mark Patterson / Zak Brown / Richard Meins

If only, if only...

Quote:
Level 5 participation in doubt unless a deal can be pulled together in conjunction with Dempsey it seems.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...s-david-stone/
Interesting. I guess I'll scratch them off the list, too. I'm trying to maintain around 56 cars.

Completely different from what we've been talking about. Who could possibly be replacing Ryan Hunter-Reay in the Viper for Le Mans next year? I see about 100 different options, but I'll mention what I think are the top 10 most likely ones, IMHO.

1. Bert Longin
2. Stephane Ortelli
3. Anthony Kumpens
4. Karl Wendlinger
5. Mike Hezemans
6. Darryl O'Young
7. Jean-Karl Vernay (if he doesn't go to Jota)
8. Peter Kox
9. Patrick Huisman
10. Anthony Beltoise
Old 15 Jan 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3189243)   #225
morningview66
Racer

Quote:
This whole discussion about BMW attempting a Le Mans effort in the Z4 GTE was something I was actually afraid to talk about. I thought I'd get killed if I dared to mention something as speculative as that!!!

Seriously, I do think it is an option. I'd just put it at 20% chance this year and 99.99999% chance next year.

I think a nice factory WEC effort for BMW could be one combining the drivers of Marc VDS, Vita4One, and perhaps DB Motorsport. And, at Le Mans, throwing in one (or maybe two!) cars with DTM drivers and other BMW GT3 drivers like, for example

Car 1: Joey Hand / Maxime Martin / Dirk Werner
Car 2: Andy Priaulx / Bruno Spengler / Augusto Farfus
Well i think with the new "announcement" that they will be competing in ALMS from the season opener makes it more likely they will be at Le mans but your right it will be quite a small chance.

Especially as Canada ALMS fan says the car is only homologated by IMSA at the moment and not the ACO.

Quote:
I'd actually give McLaren about a 5% chance of being at Le Mans with at least one car this year.
Yeah sorry i know this is a Le Mans speculation thread, but i wasn't speaking about Makoweicki being in a Mclaren for Le Mans specifically. Just as a possible option when they begin their GTE programme
Closed Thread