Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 25 Jun 2003, 22:58 (Ref:643206)   #1
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 70s/80s FF1600 thread

There has been great discussion on the forum about the best FF1600 driver ever.
Formula Ford has produced so many great drivers over the years - many careers started here before karting became the norm. Numerous different constructors have built thousands of FF cars since the launch at Brands Hatch in 1967. Great F1 designers such as Rory Byrne and Pat Symonds started with FF cars. Most will agree that the 1970s and 80s were the great days of the Formula.

Here are a few pictures to evoke memories of those great 'three heats and a final' days with three main championships and when the Festival had well over 200 entries. Hopefully other photos will be found to add to this thread.

To start off, here are legendary FF names battling at Brands in '75. Geoff Lees in the works Royale RP21 leads Tiff Needell's Crossle with Derek Warwick and Rick Morris in Hawkes. I am not sure of the photographers who took these, but full credit for great shots.
Attached Thumbnails
bh75_ff_.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:02 (Ref:643209)   #2
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A midfield bunch at the old Woodcote on the Silverstone club circuit, I think 1973. Usually, the lead battle looked like this on the last lap!
Attached Thumbnails
sv73_ff_.jpg  
Old 25 Jun 2003, 23:07 (Ref:643215)   #3
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
And finally for now, Derek Lawrence in the works Titan at Thruxton in 1972. Remember when the chicane was lined with armco?
Anymore photos around?
Attached Thumbnails
tx72_ff_.jpg  
Old 26 Jun 2003, 17:27 (Ref:643910)   #4
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I remember a photo of my cousin, Nigel Gough,that won the Autosport Photograph of the Year award in, I think, 1975. He was about 20 feet high, upside down at Old Hall, Oulton Park. His other claim to fame was that he was Canadian FF champion and his prize (sponsored by Rolex) was a year in England doing the National series.
Unlucky for 'our' Nige was that Daly et al were out at the same time.

Still, history repeats itself, My son Stuart is now doing FF1600......

Hope he doesn't get any amazing photo's!