Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 9 Dec 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2801983)   #576
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
He actually turned it into a business, albeit with lower fees.

Bernie Bashing could easily surpass his USGP revenue if he gets clobbered weekly wearing different watches from different makers. I could see Tag Heuer, Patek Philippe, Jaeger-LeCoultre and Blancpain amonst others queuing up waiting for their turn to snap a shot of Bernie with a shiner or knocked out tooth, sporting one their watches.
Oh please NO......

Not an 'Official F1 Bernie Calendar'.
Old 10 Dec 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2802589)   #577
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do traffic engineers really think that no road improvements are needed on the two-lane roads that serve the site of the proposed F1 track? I guess if Tavo is paying your consulting fee, then you will say whatever he wants you to say.

County to debate $6M for Formula One Austin road upgrades
Austin Business Journal - by Jacob Dirr
Friday, December 10, 2010

Travis County officials and traffic engineers at Kimley-Horn And Associates Inc. disagree over whether $6 million in road improvements are necessary for the Formula One race track being built near Austin.

On Dec. 14, county commissioners are expected to discuss traffic issues and vote on granting a floodplain variance to the $250 million race development, planned on 960 acres near Del Valle. The development is expected to create thousands of jobs, while spurring spin-off investment and economic impact...

In a Dec. 1 memorandum, Kimley-Horn engineer Aaron Nathan told the county the “our study indicates no improvements are required to provide for an acceptable flow of traffic to and from the event.”

Old 11 Dec 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2802803)   #578
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS View Post
What road is that?
Old 11 Dec 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2802825)   #579
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
What road is that?

The scenery along Elroy Road offers a glimpse of the size of the task facing Tilke in readying the area for its first F1 race in 2012.

Old 11 Dec 2010, 06:48 (Ref:2802841)   #580
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Oh please NO......

Not an 'Official F1 Bernie Calendar'.
I've never used this expression before, but for a Bernie calendar, I feel it's appropriate: Ewwwww!

Old 15 Dec 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2804703)   #581
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Memo to fans planning to attend the USGP F1 race in Austin in 2012: When you get stuck in traffic for hours on race day, don't say nobody told you so.

F1 race traffic worries commissioners

Could take between 3-12 hours to clear traffic
Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010, 7:24 PM CST
* Reagan Hackleman

AUSTIN (KXAN) - On Tuesday David Heine was slowly racing to cover a feeding trough for his sick horse on his land at the intersection of Elroy Road and the road named after his family, Heine Farm Road.

As of now traffic on the small two-lane road that separates his property from the proposed Formula 1 race track property isn’t that bad, but Heine knows that will change in a few years when more than 100,000 people are expected to flood the area for the yearly F1 race.

“A total parking lot -- worse than [Interstate] 35 on the way to Round Rock at 5:30 in the afternoon,” Heine said.

In fact, Travis County officials said if nothing is done to Elroy Road it could take 12 hours to clear the area of race fans...
Old 15 Dec 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2804770)   #582
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that road looks a lot like the access roads to the hungaroring from any approach to the circuit. they manage fine with a f1 crowd
Old 15 Dec 2010, 16:25 (Ref:2804801)   #583
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track site is literally next door neighbour to the KAUS airport (that would be the Austin international airport). It will be able to handle traffic awesomely well!
Old 15 Dec 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2804805)   #584
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
In fact, Travis County officials said if nothing is done to Elroy Road it could take 12 hours to clear the area of race fans...
some Texas style BBQ and this could be the best tailgate party ever!
Old 15 Dec 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2804837)   #585
vin13
Rookie

United States
Austin, Texas
vin13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
some Texas style BBQ and this could be the best tailgate party ever!
Definitely planning on camping out with my buddy's smoker all weekend. Once you taste some good Texas brisket you won't want to leave. Damn the traffic!
Old 16 Dec 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2805317)   #586
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vin13 View Post
Definitely planning on camping out with my buddy's smoker all weekend. Once you taste some good Texas brisket you won't want to leave. Damn the traffic!
if thats an invite im totally in.

i certainly hope they are planning to dedicate some space near the track for camping.
Old 23 Dec 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2807979)   #587
Oreti kid
Racer

New Zealand
Toowoomba
Oreti kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all you guys in US have a awesome Xmas and catch ya in 2011.
Cheers
Mad Kiwi Flaggy
Old 24 Dec 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2807992)   #588
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I think this article does a good job of explaining how the state of Texas plans to spend $29M/year to support the Austin F1 race. You can believe or not that it's worth it. But it's clear to me that Austin was chosen as the site of the USGP because it's probably the only city in the USA that was able to promise Bernie such a large annual payment derived from public funds. I believe that the citizens of Texas will eventually come to regret this particular use of public money.

Austin’s $4 million F1 incentive?

By Eric Dexheimer | Thursday, December 2, 2010, 07:00 AM
statesman.com

Austin City Council Member Laura Morrison recently caused a minor stir when she alluded to what seemed to be another public subsidy for Formula One. Here’s what she said:

“As I understand it, there is going to be discussions later next year about whether or not the City of Austin is interested in participating in economic incentives to the tune of what I think I heard is $4 million per year for 10 years, and obviously at that point in time, in order to consider or that request, there is going to be a whole lot more information that’s needed in terms of economic costs and benefits, environment issues.”

...But is Austin really going to kick in $4 million a year to subsidize Formula One racing? The short answer is: maybe, sort of, kind of...

The Australian GP was sold to Melbourne on the grounds that it would make a profit and cost the taxpayers $49 million dollars last year - so good luck with the $4 million dollar subsidy.
Old 25 Dec 2010, 03:56 (Ref:2808324)   #589
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
Oh what a tangled web we weave, When first we practice to deceive...

Comptroller's new F1 job predictions unusually high

By Eric Dexheimer
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 8:55 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010

The state comptroller's office said Thursday that the agency may remove information posted on a new state Web page touting the benefits of bringing Formula One racing to Austin in 2012 that appears to assert that the event will generate nearly 5,000 jobs a number triple previously published estimates.

The new figures appear on texasahead.org , a site controlled by Comptroller Susan Combs' office that provides information about economic development opportunities in Texas. Combs has been a driving force behind bringing F1 racing to Texas.

The section of the website devoted to Formula One went live this week. On it, the comptroller's office projects the economic impact the race will have on the area. Such calculations are crucial because they form the basis for millions of dollars in government incentive payments to the event.

They are also controversial. Critics contend the projections often take into account only the benefits, and not the costs of putting on big events, and in so doing inflate the predicted economic impact, frequently to justify taxpayer subsidies...
Old 31 Dec 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2809687)   #590
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88785

Building work is underway in Austin.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2809702)   #591
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least works started now. Look at the bright side, it's a new build, so we will not have another Donington on our hands.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2809706)   #592
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm pleased and proud to say that the Donington circuit is once again up and running, which is a long way off what the Austin circuit is.

Hopefully it will get beyond the stage of just having earth moving machines sitting around not doing much.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2809718)   #593
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm pleased and proud to say that the Donington circuit is once again up and running, which is a long way off what the Austin circuit is.

Hopefully it will get beyond the stage of just having earth moving machines sitting around not doing much.
Ditto, I'm hoping that the Austin GP turns out to be success.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 20:16 (Ref:2809798)   #594
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
More importantly, Donington Park is still a racing circuit, when I say "racing circuit", by that I mean it hasn't been ruined by the F1 circus (though it came close to it) by tarmac run off and pushed back barriers. Thank the lord the F1 deal fell through.
Old 1 Jan 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2809964)   #595
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88785

Building work is underway in Austin.
Great news they said December, and work has started!
Old 1 Jan 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2809970)   #596
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder which "banana republic" will be offered a race next?
Old 1 Jan 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2810034)   #597
Oreti kid
Racer

New Zealand
Toowoomba
Oreti kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Wales?
Old 1 Jan 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2810049)   #598
Bonanza
Racer

United Kingdom
behind you
Bonanza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quite what you want to call a 'banana republic' is up to you, but on a related note in terms of new grands prix, I read somewhere on the internet the other day that Vietnam were playing down talk of a possible F1 race........
Old 1 Jan 2011, 23:35 (Ref:2810057)   #599
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Or which other gulf state?

I'm glad Donington managed to survive.
Old 2 Jan 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2810097)   #600
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
More importantly, Donington Park is still a racing circuit, when I say "racing circuit", by that I mean it hasn't been ruined by the F1 circus (though it came close to it) by tarmac run off and pushed back barriers. Thank the lord the F1 deal fell through.
So you like to see cars hitting things, what dopey thing to advocate. It is obvious you have never been injured by hitting a barrier or had to pay the resultant bills. I will go further and say you have never raced.
Closed Thread