Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2000, 09:34 (Ref:34180)   #1
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Every year several young drivers starts in F1. Some of them disappear from the scene, some stay. But amoung of them there's (there're) future WDC.

We are discussing for three years, if MS or MH will win this time. Luckely they will hang up their helmets one day. And then we see new champion. Who it must be? Your prediction? He may has his drives in F1 now or in other class yet.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 13:03 (Ref:34208)   #2
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, i think the candidates to b fighting for a wdc in some years are, (if mk and tgf are out) Ralph Sumacher, Fisichela, Montoya and i canĀ“t think of anyone else.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 17:17 (Ref:34247)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that the next generation of champions will be Ralf, Montoya, Fisi, JB and Alonso. Of course I'm talking about the young upcoming guys because I think that some "senior" drivers like DC and JV still have a chance.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 19:21 (Ref:34278)   #4
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next new WDC?

Hmmm, could be DC next year. Of course he still has a chance this year as well, albeit theoretical. If he doesn't win, and TGF or Mika takes the WDC next year as well, then maybe Montoya will be the next new WDC in 2002.

I agree with Sharky's list of next generation of champions. And I also think Jacques will take at least one more WDC.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 19:39 (Ref:34279)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Ralf, Ralf and Ralf again!
Old 31 Aug 2000, 23:26 (Ref:34310)   #6
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the immediate future it will be Ralf Schumacher, Juan Pablo Montoya and Jarno Trulli.
Within a couple of years it could be Fernando Alonso, Antonio Pizzonia, Tomas Scheckter or Mark Webber.
And here's a name you may not yet have heard of, but I think this guy is going to be great, he's from Finland and his name is Kimi Raikkonen.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 23:32 (Ref:34312)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens will win with McLaren. Trulli, Fisi, Zonta, Montoya and eventually Button will also be campaigning for the crown.

But new WDC's will have to wait until the top four retire before they will be permitted to win any WDCs. The system is much like that in Ice Skating. And if the judges take a dislike to you, you will never win no matter how good you are. Something will always be wrong with your car.

I am a cynic. So sue me.
Old 31 Aug 2000, 23:51 (Ref:34317)   #8
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf, Fisi, Frentzen, Trulli, DLR, Alonso, Gene .
Old 1 Sep 2000, 07:00 (Ref:34362)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Rubens will win with McLaren.

I've always liked that joke Liz. Can't see why Ron would take on an also ran even if he is Brazilian.

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

I am a cynic. So sue me.
That's my line!!!

Old 1 Sep 2000, 08:55 (Ref:34369)   #10
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, OK.

DC needs snookers to win this year. And if he doesn't win next year, he'll never win it.

Barichello is never going to win consistantly enough, so he's out.

Villeneuve isn't going to be a new name, but he'll win again.

Trulli might do, not sure about him.

Fisichella will never even win a race at this rate

If Max'n'Bernie stay in charge, they'll ensure that Jenson wins a championship, but he's probably good enough anyway.

Ralf is pretty much a cert.

Montoya could be, not too convinced about him yet.

Gene is just coming to the end of his F1 career, so he's not going to be.

From the lower classes:-
Mark Webber will win if he can get away from Arrows

Antonio Pizzonia looks like he has potential, but needs bringing under control

Tomas Sheckter will win by connections if not by talent

Takuma Sato appears quite good, but then so did most of the other Japanese drivers, except Takagi and Inoue

Narayan Karthakayan appears to have some ability. Depends on how much backing he can get.

Basically I think it depends who the top three or four teams take a liking to. No-one's won the championship for a long time in a car that wasn't the best in the field anyway. Therefore it's safe to say that whoever gets the seats will be likely to win, and some of the more talented but less well connected drivers, who would have earned the championship rather than have it gifted to them as a result of who they know, rather than how good they are, won't win it.

Even TGF only won when he was in the best car. He's been trying for five years to win in a Ferrari, and can't because it simply isn't up to the task.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 11:02 (Ref:34393)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'll run with Liz. I think that Rubens will be a revelation if and when he leaves Ferrari. No good going to a team, saying the guy is equal No. 1, only to have to announce that he is so happy to protect TGF, to let the fellow win. Rubens must wake up, move on, and then take off.
Old 1 Sep 2000, 13:21 (Ref:34406)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
This has now become this weeks poll topic allthough i did leave Montoya off the list..to cats your vote go to http://tentenths.com/poll

personally im hoping for Mark Webber to win the WDC
Old 1 Sep 2000, 23:07 (Ref:34481)   #13
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please don not underestimate the huge rule changes next year! It's easy to say McLaren and Ferrari will be frontrunners next year and probably Williams, Benetton and BAR will close up a little, but that's only a valid assumption under unchanged rules.

Next year some teams are going to be making that critical design error which will cost them at least half if not the whole season. Remember for instance Ferrari's wheelbase troubles first half of 1998.

So whoever mr. supertalent may be, it all depends on the superdrive he grabs. Right about now there are a dozen driver's who could challenge hard for the WDC in the right car. As will be in the future. Who gets that supercar and who doesn't?

I don't know, but I do think MichaelC's list is a bit off on some guys:
Quote:
-Trulli might do, not sure about him.
-Fisichella will never even win a race at this rate
-Ralf is pretty much a cert.
-Montoya could be, not too convinced about him yet.
-Takuma Sato appears quite good, but then so did most of the other Japanese drivers, except Takagi and Inoue
- yes, Trulli is one of those high-potentials.
- Fisichella too. Had he been driving a Ferrari the way he drove his Benetton this year, than he would be leading the ranks right now.
- Ralf is totally dependant on Montoya's performance. And that's not that encouraging to call hem 'a cert'.
- When Montoya will be a good student and listen well to Patrick and play along at Williams he'll be 'a cert' for sure. Those are conditions more easy to match than anything else isn't it?
- Sato is brilliant indeed, along with a dozen other youngsters. Disliking Takagi doesn't do his performance justice though. He is very, very good actually.

What will be the cars would be my question in this case ...
Old 3 Sep 2000, 16:08 (Ref:34805)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a firm believer in Ralf-if he doesn't do it I'll be surprised.

I fear momentum will never go Fisichella's way, as MichaelC said, I doubt he'll ever even win a race.

Trulli seems to be more of a possibility for the crown than Frentzen ever will be.

Montoya by his second full season in F1, will be giving everyone else fits.