Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2004, 13:23 (Ref:979799)   #1
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So just what the hell happened in the tunnel?

What do you guys make of that incident in the tunnel?

I really don't know what to make of it all.....there's gonna be strong words here...
Old 23 May 2004, 13:26 (Ref:979806)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A jammed brake disk?
Old 23 May 2004, 13:26 (Ref:979808)   #3
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was really odd, was MS doing a brake test??? or just putting heat into his tyres? mmmm who knows!
Old 23 May 2004, 13:27 (Ref:979811)   #4
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll tell you in two hours when it's on telly here

I doubt Michael would brake-test someone a lap down.
Old 23 May 2004, 13:28 (Ref:979814)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what ever , the tunnel is not the place to do that kind of stuff is it ...

Montoya must have wondered what the hell he was doing
Old 23 May 2004, 13:31 (Ref:979820)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really badly timed manouvre. The fastest point on the track.
Old 23 May 2004, 13:32 (Ref:979828)   #7
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't care what happened, I just like the fact that we won't see him win..
Old 23 May 2004, 13:33 (Ref:979830)   #8
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
shouldnt have done it in the tunnel poor visablitiy!
Old 23 May 2004, 13:34 (Ref:979833)   #9
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bet it was exciting for those lucky sods spectating in the tunnel.
Old 23 May 2004, 13:35 (Ref:979836)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It was just such a strange bit of thinking......I mean, I wouldn't expect Michael to do it there. Did he even realise Monty was so close?
Old 23 May 2004, 14:10 (Ref:979910)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly little misunderstanding by the looks of it. Schu seemed to be trying to get some heat in his tyres (bit odd for him to try it in the dark mind), Montoya didn't "go up the back of him" as the dullard put it, but rather took avoiding action, Schu didn't see he was there and turned into him.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:12 (Ref:979914)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's outright silly if people think MS is trying a brake test, especially during SC period, and even more so when the guy behind is one full lap slower...

And also, it is fully within the rights of the first driver to dictate the pace of the field and especially when the drivers and teams are informed that the safety car is coming in... its not usual for the first car to slow down to open a decent gap before the SC comes in... all drivers should be experienced enough to expect it.

And it's not as if the incident took place at the entrance of the tunnel, so visibility isn't really the major issue.

And did Juan even lift off at all?
Old 23 May 2004, 14:17 (Ref:979925)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

And it is absolutely sensible to jam the brakes on in the tunnel....
Old 23 May 2004, 14:20 (Ref:979929)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was he trying to change the brake bias?

Danica Patrick
Old 23 May 2004, 14:22 (Ref:979936)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Gt_R, have a word! He looked his tyre up. What ever way you look at it, braking that hard in the tunnel ain't ever gonna be a clever move.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:22 (Ref:979937)   #16
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
would the lock up be indicative of a brake test?....i've seen a few replays but can't figure it out.....
Old 23 May 2004, 14:24 (Ref:979942)   #17
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stupid move by Shumi...I thought perhaps he had a puncture (maybe debris from Alonso's car?) that caused the incident. But I guess everyone pretty much agrees that he was warming up the brakes or something.
Incredibly silly place to do it though. Montoya cannot be expected to predict something like that.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:26 (Ref:979945)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by jj2728
would the lock up be indicative of a brake test?....i've seen a few replays but can't figure it out.....
No, it wasn't a "brake test". That sounds like it was malicious, which it wasn't. Schu was simply trying to warm his brakes up.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:27 (Ref:979946)   #19
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only the left front locked up in a right hand turn, that makes no sense: so I think it was a brake problem.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:27 (Ref:979947)   #20
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well it was a stupid move, but the leader makes the pace....
Old 23 May 2004, 14:29 (Ref:979950)   #21
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
No, it wasn't a "brake test". That sounds like it was malicious, which it wasn't. Schu was simply trying to warm his brakes up.
ok, no i wasn't alluding to the fact that he was.....i wonder if maybe debris from the alonso crash may have had soemthing to do with it....interesting, guess we'll have to wait for the full reports...
Old 23 May 2004, 14:32 (Ref:979955)   #22
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Ah, you mean "What happened in the tunnel - Part 2"
Whatever Mikey did, we all could see that he locked a brake. And, the SC was not immediately infront of him, therefore he wasn't jabbing the brakes on due to poor SC driving or anything like that.
Indeed, Ross Brawn has said that TGF was warming his brakes. So, why do it in the tunnel when it's difficult to see? Yes, he does have the right to control the pace, but you must do it within reason
Notably, JPM has apologised, so he does feel that he was probably too close to TGF and could have avoided it.
6 of one, half a dozen of the other IMHO - but lets see what the stewards say!
Old 23 May 2004, 14:33 (Ref:979956)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schu seemed extreamly upset... if JPM too retired with Schu i bet MS would have been at his neck judging by how upset he was...
Old 23 May 2004, 14:35 (Ref:979960)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well he wouldn't have had any right to...
Old 23 May 2004, 14:35 (Ref:979961)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Heh..Damon, did you in THIS thread say it's Juan's fault?

I'm just countering suggestions that people accuse MS of brake testing, which i really couldn't find a reason why he would.

And i do give some doubt that Ferrari ran into problems or simply MS ran off line and tried to slow too much with brakes.. it ain't the best thing to do, but still, the lead driver's the one setting the pace, and if it's the 2nd placed driver who hit..it may make more sense than a backmarker sticking right up the backside of the lead driver.

MS may had a hand in the resultant clash, but still, Juan had to bear a portion of the blame for the incident.

HOWEVER, this is Monaco, and it being so tight and stuff, really there's only so much a driver could do to avoid..so nothing to lose much sleep over.

P.S don't anyone think the title should be more clear. There's Ralf vs Alonso in the tunnel too