Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Nov 2015, 01:51 (Ref:3587701)   #7501
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
This obviously does not have the entire body designed to be most effective with the spoiler, but it gets the basic idea across. The secondary "endplates" inside of the spoiler is something I adapted from dirt track cars - modifieds and late models often have a foot-wide breakaway section of the rear wing on the right in case they tag the wall - breaking off part of the spoiler harms the handling less than bending the spoiler. I put one on both sides more for aesthetics than anything else, as you likely wouldn't need such breakaways at all on a car like this where you're NOT supposed to let the tail out.
Attached Thumbnails
1102152045.jpg   1102152045a.jpg  
Old 3 Nov 2015, 07:23 (Ref:3587741)   #7502
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That reminds me of the Dyson 962

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/Porsc...sonRacing.html
Old 3 Nov 2015, 09:02 (Ref:3587754)   #7503
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should use the Chevy V8 in there, it would make a little different from the other club sport racers.

I like to know the dimensions of this concept.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3587763)   #7504
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
They should use the Chevy V8 in there, it would make a little different from the other club sport racers.

I like to know the dimensions of this concept.
No dimensions were specified, but I doubt they'd be too different from current norms. From what I understand, this is not meant to be a club class, either.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 12:42 (Ref:3587790)   #7505
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, a not-so club class racing with a retro-styled LMP3-based car? It might work, but I don't think it'll last in the long run!
Old 3 Nov 2015, 19:12 (Ref:3587888)   #7506
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Hmm, a not-so club class racing with a retro-styled LMP3-based car? It might work, but I don't think it'll last in the long run!
Depends on who's running it. Crossing my fingers that the unnamed party working with the SCCA on this is WC Vision(assuming this is actually in the works). PWC with a prototype class is something IMSA would need to be VERY concerned about.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3587898)   #7507
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like Porsche GTE program will be out of the WEC next year:http://www.motorsport-total.com/wec/...m-wird-beendet
Old 3 Nov 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3587900)   #7508
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
would make sense, they'd avoid getting smashed by the "real" '16 GTEs...

Core statement might be though

Quote:
Ein Porsche-Sprecher hat das Ende des GT-Programms in der WEC auf Anfrage dementiert. Eine finale Entscheidung sei diesbezüglich noch nicht gefallen. Das widerspricht den Informationen von 'Motorsport-Total.com'.
(a porsche spokesman denied the end of the GT program in the WEC, a final decision had not yet been made. This contradicts the informations of 'motorsport-total.com')

Might be waiting for their GTE titles to announce it.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 20:14 (Ref:3587901)   #7509
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Seems Strakka and Greaves are pausing their lmp1 plans, at the least.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 20:33 (Ref:3587904)   #7510
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
Depends on who's running it. Crossing my fingers that the unnamed party working with the SCCA on this is WC Vision(assuming this is actually in the works). PWC with a prototype class is something IMSA would need to be VERY concerned about.
Why, one of the great thing about the PWC is that it's just GT cars only. There's no need to throw Protoypes in there, or DTM cars as well.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 20:45 (Ref:3587909)   #7511
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Why, one of the great thing about the PWC is that it's just GT cars only. There's no need to throw Protoypes in there, or DTM cars as well.
Maximizing it's appeal. With as big as PWC is, do you really think any prototype class they bring in would run simultaneously with the GTs?

PWC could become America's equivalent to the Supercar Challenge - they're already pretty close. It would be genuinely awesome to add a prototype class and truly become such.

Honestly, PWC probably would've added a prototype class ages ago had the series not been constantly cycling through huge ups and downs in popularity and car counts. The beauty of PWC is that they're in a position where they could, if they put their mind to it, make almost ANYTHING work.

But as for prototypes, I'd like to just see them adopt Group CN. There's no top-flight series for those cars in America yet and they're some great machinery.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 21:36 (Ref:3587926)   #7512
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
This obviously does not have the entire body designed to be most effective with the spoiler, but it gets the basic idea across. The secondary "endplates" inside of the spoiler is something I adapted from dirt track cars - modifieds and late models often have a foot-wide breakaway section of the rear wing on the right in case they tag the wall - breaking off part of the spoiler harms the handling less than bending the spoiler. I put one on both sides more for aesthetics than anything else, as you likely wouldn't need such breakaways at all on a car like this where you're NOT supposed to let the tail out.
An interesting photo just came from Onroaks facebook page:

It wouldn't be hard to convert a LMP3 into an open top LMP racer
Old 3 Nov 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3587941)   #7513
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

That it wouldn't - the cockpit enclosure is not itself part of the safety cell that all LMP3s must be built off of. Just the rollcage.

But open-top isn't the significant detail here, it's the lack of a wing. And surely a wingless car could be built around the P3 safety cell.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 22:38 (Ref:3587944)   #7514
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I've heard some CN cars run in the SCCA P1 class, but yeah I don't know why no one has adopted CN cars in the states as a series.

IMSA could add them to the Lites, and adopt some of the CSR cars as a second class.
Or run them with a national GT4 championship.
Old 3 Nov 2015, 23:13 (Ref:3587962)   #7515
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This is not the bombshell I've been sitting on(NDAs still in effect, got to protect my source), but I've got an interesting new rumor hitting my inbox...

Apparently some independent owners are attempting to start, with SCCA sanctioning, a sports prototype series for non-wing cars - instead of wings, large 1990s Trans Am style spoilers on the back, and the cars are much like LMP3 - open chassis design(aside from dimensional and safety regs and the aforementioned wing ban, of course) but be built around a spec engine that will either be a Ford Ecoboost or an unspecified GM crate motor.

I have no reason to assume at this time that there is any truth to this rumor, but still...Interesting concept. With the end of Sports 2000 in SCCA club racing there aren't any non-wing prototype classes above Spec Racer Ford that I'm aware of, and S2000 didn't have giant spoilers in place of wings anyway. This idea has me VERY intrigued...
I'm curious as well. By the way, any date on when said bomshell will come out? How bout your prediction of 50/50 good or bad, has that changed?
Old 3 Nov 2015, 23:47 (Ref:3587966)   #7516
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
I've heard some CN cars run in the SCCA P1 class, but yeah I don't know why no one has adopted CN cars in the states as a series.
Yeah, CN cars are fully legal in SCCA P1, but I believe with an engine displacement max of 2 liters instead of 3. Jim Devenport has run the last two Runoffs in a Norma M20FC CN car.

Quote:
IMSA could add them to the Lites, and adopt some of the CSR cars as a second class.
Rumor is IMSA's looking at the Elan NP01 for the new Lites car. Do not know if there's any bite to the rumor, but it makes sense - the current car is getting a touch old, the NP01 is built by the same provider, runs the same engine, and can theoretically with the right tuning hit similar lap times. And it fits in with IMSA's move towards keeping everything closed-top.

Quote:
Or run them with a national GT4 championship.
Part of the reason why I'm so keen on seeing them in IMSA - their GTS class is effectively our national GT4 championship. The idea of PWC running a CN class(or even just championship races for SCCA P1 and P2 unmodified, since that still allows for CN) works almost too well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
I'm curious as well. By the way, any date on when said bomshell will come out? How bout your prediction of 50/50 good or bad, has that changed?
Still no idea. I was never told exactly when the NDAs expire. My assessment of it being a coin toss of whether it would be good or bad has shifted towards a 75% chance of it being good due to things I've been hearing on matters not(directly) related to it.

Unfortunately, I have not gotten any updates on the matter in a while, so my assessment of the likelihood that it will occur is dropping.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 01:07 (Ref:3587988)   #7517
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post

Looks like the factory is keeping busy, there are 7 tubs lined up right there!
Old 4 Nov 2015, 01:24 (Ref:3587997)   #7518
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Part of the reason why I'm so keen on seeing them in IMSA - their GTS class is effectively our national GT4 championship. The idea of PWC running a CN class(or even just championship races for SCCA P1 and P2 unmodified, since that still allows for CN) works almost too well.
Meant PWC here, not IMSA. Rushed a bit much and didn't notice my error before it was too late.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 03:21 (Ref:3588021)   #7519
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Well, I like to think the Conti Sportcar Challenge is the national GT4 championship, thought I perfer it to be mostly Touring cars with some small bore GT cars in it, and not have any protos in it.

My favorite CN car are the wolfs. I would love to see more run here in the states. But that NP01 is ugly. Almost DP ugly.

But anyway, I would like to see the IMSA lites likes be like this.
Lites1: FIA CN cars
Lites2: SCCA P1 car. Though I think this class would need to be more simplified.

Btw, how involved is that rumor with IMSA Fox? Is it some new car or class or something?
Old 4 Nov 2015, 04:36 (Ref:3588030)   #7520
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Well, I like to think the Conti Sportcar Challenge is the national GT4 championship, thought I perfer it to be mostly Touring cars with some small bore GT cars in it, and not have any protos in it.
I say PWC because the GTS class expressly accepts FIA GT4 cars. CTSCC does not.

Quote:
But anyway, I would like to see the IMSA lites likes be like this.
Lites1: FIA CN cars
Lites2: SCCA P1 car. Though I think this class would need to be more simplified.
It's be better to just go straight SCCA P1/P2 for Lites. CN cars are already P1 legal, and the existing cars could still be sued by entrants that don't want to switch. There's really not much point in differentiating.

Quote:
Btw, how involved is that rumor with IMSA Fox? Is it some new car or class or something?
Which rumor specifically? Juggling around way too many here...
Old 4 Nov 2015, 06:45 (Ref:3588035)   #7521
Rcz
Veteran

United States
The rumor you keep saying could change everything.

What kind of rumor is it? Is a new class coming into the IMSA series. A new type of car? Or maybe perhaps something to do with P1 and the series?
Old 4 Nov 2015, 12:13 (Ref:3588093)   #7522
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
The rumor you keep saying could change everything.

What kind of rumor is it? Is a new class coming into the IMSA series. A new type of car? Or maybe perhaps something to do with P1 and the series?
It is not connected with IMSA(directly - some of their teams have been involved in the talks, but it is unrelated to the series itself), and it entirely involves existing classes of cars. I cannot divulge anything further without breaking an NDA.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 01:37 (Ref:3588488)   #7523
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fine article on the non hybrid P1 future
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/1...privateer.html

Though it completely forgots to mention the Glickenhaus.
Old 6 Nov 2015, 02:48 (Ref:3588498)   #7524
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

Yes a very odd omission there....

Glickenhaus seem pretty intent on doing P1
Old 6 Nov 2015, 03:31 (Ref:3588504)   #7525
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

Maybe because Glickenhaus wants to build a hybrid LMP1 with a Bosch hybrid system.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/jim-gl...ine-1735682208