Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Mar 2004, 13:38 (Ref:901970)   #1
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Molson Indy contract could be void

Interesting article from Slam!Sports in Canada regarding the Molson Indy potentially not having 18 cars.

Molson Indy Article
Old 11 Mar 2004, 14:12 (Ref:902005)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing in that article I hadn't seen before (probably hadn't looked close enough) was this by Carpentier;

Quote:

"The only thing that makes me unhappy is they should have told me in September," Carpentier said. "All the other series have started. To find something (now) would be impossible."
I wonder what he would have considered an alternative - ALMS? Grand-Am? Trans-Am? Perhaps even IndyCar?
Old 11 Mar 2004, 15:40 (Ref:902067)   #3
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello, Rusty (good to see you here in the Champ Car forum)

Carpentier said that after the press conference, when the whole hell broke loose. He spent a good time talking to the media and, as usual, was very friendly and outspoken - but professional.

Also, he said other very important things like "I cannot look for a ride, because I am contracted to Forsythe. It is clear that they have to do that, I can't do it. They are working on it."

And more: "You know guys, as a professional, as a professional driver, I cannot be out for a year. I need to work." One of the reporters asked if he would consider a seat in the IRL, and Carpentier said "yes, why not? But I don't think there anything open there either".

The Slam!Sports article has a certain "dramatic" tone that I can understand. However, I must point two incorrections:

1.) Carpentier absolutely did not learn that he would not drive during the press conference. This is plain wrong. It was bad anyway, but what happen was:

- Thursday last week Tracy phoned Carpentier and asked "if someone from the team had called you?" Carpentier asked "no, about what?" That was the critical moment. Patrick is, understably, pretty mad because almost everybody in the team knew what was going on, but nobody told him.

- He officially learned of the fact on Friday, when Gerry Forsythe called him.

Also, the author of the Smam!Sports article, hints that "Champ Car series are trying to get promoters like Molson to drop the 18-car clause". This is not accurate.

What happened - and is still being discussed - is that Champ Car asked under which conditions (such as a reduction of the sanctioning fee) the Molson promoters would accept dropping that clause. The Molson promoters are quite interested (of course) on reducing the fee, and McNulty spins the things to their side.

Cheers,

Muzza
Old 11 Mar 2004, 16:15 (Ref:902104)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Molson Indy does not want out of this deal. They will likely agree to a modified deal if necessary. Lower sanction fees, for fewer cars.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 16:24 (Ref:902108)   #5
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, Fogelhund, but Muzza, there's no difference in what you present regarding something that's been approached to be negotiated and what the Sun writer said. I don't see it anyway.

It goes along with Gentilozzi's press conference comment about contracts having "16-18 cars," also quoted in The Sun.
Old 11 Mar 2004, 22:30 (Ref:902500)   #6
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
One thing in that article I hadn't seen before (probably hadn't looked close enough) was this by Carpentier;

I wonder what he would have considered an alternative - ALMS? Grand-Am? Trans-Am? Perhaps even IndyCar?
He can still get into the ALMS. Have you seen the entry list for Sebring? The TBA'a are longer han the actual entries.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 11 Mar 2004, 23:00 (Ref:902533)   #7
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Muzza
Hello, Rusty (good to see you here in the Champ Car forum)

Carpentier said that after the press conference, when the whole hell broke loose. He spent a good time talking to the media and, as usual, was very friendly and outspoken - but professional.

Also, he said other very important things like "I cannot look for a ride, because I am contracted to Forsythe. It is clear that they have to do that, I can't do it. They are working on it."

And more: "You know guys, as a professional, as a professional driver, I cannot be out for a year. I need to work." One of the reporters asked if he would consider a seat in the IRL, and Carpentier said "yes, why not? But I don't think there anything open there either".

The Slam!Sports article has a certain "dramatic" tone that I can understand. However, I must point two incorrections:

1.) Carpentier absolutely did not learn that he would not drive during the press conference. This is plain wrong. It was bad anyway, but what happen was:

- Thursday last week Tracy phoned Carpentier and asked "if someone from the team had called you?" Carpentier asked "no, about what?" That was the critical moment. Patrick is, understably, pretty mad because almost everybody in the team knew what was going on, but nobody told him.

- He officially learned of the fact on Friday, when Gerry Forsythe called him.

Also, the author of the Smam!Sports article, hints that "Champ Car series are trying to get promoters like Molson to drop the 18-car clause". This is not accurate.

What happened - and is still being discussed - is that Champ Car asked under which conditions (such as a reduction of the sanctioning fee) the Molson promoters would accept dropping that clause. The Molson promoters are quite interested (of course) on reducing the fee, and McNulty spins the things to their side.

Cheers,

Muzza
Well Muzza, I'll let you in on a little secret, he knew on Wednesday. It wasn't confirmed until Friday. But, Patrick being Patrick, didn't believe it. None of us did. I STILL don't.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 12 Mar 2004, 03:43 (Ref:902716)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Of course, Patrick would have to pay for a ride in the ALMS at this stage, and I'm not sure that is likely to happen.

Given the Fernandez info from today, and a possibility of Rahal leaving too, we are down to 10 confirmed cars. I wonder what the hard number actually is. I can see 15 being a go, but not much less. Where we sit today, we need two confirmations, and an additional entry each from the principles. Will it happen?
Old 12 Mar 2004, 11:33 (Ref:903092)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The thrid cars from the 3 Amigos aren't even 'extra cars' per se. If Forsythe didn't run Lavin, Rahal would've done - and there'd be no risk of him leaving. Likewise, PKVR upgrading to 2 cars has taken 2 Fernandez cars out.

Fogelhund is probably right that a new, cheaper deal will be agreed for this race - but it's still a bad sign that 18 cars is unlikely, and what happens at some of the less popular tracks? They struggled to fill them with last year's fields - what happens with the weakened grid we can expect this year?