Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Nov 2003, 10:36 (Ref:776752)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Washing your racesuit

I can't find the previous thread on this, but I seem to remember the conclusion was don't! Take it too a dry cleaners adn even then be careful!

However my racesuit label indicated it is OK. Here is a little key to the symbols. (what does a line under the A symbol mean? is it just code for dry cleaners?) http://www.planet-stuff.freeserve.co...ds/Washing.htm

Attached Thumbnails
nomex.jpg  
Old 8 Nov 2003, 11:32 (Ref:776795)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mine goes in the washing machine after every meeting, no probs so far.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 11:37 (Ref:776797)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Mine goes in the washing machine after every meeting, no probs so far
But you won't know of any problems untill you have to test it, then it will be a bit late if the there are any.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 11:44 (Ref:776803)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The suit is regualarly inspected for physical wear and tear and it is always kept in the shade, so no UV degradation. My washing powder isn't flammable and neither is the water, so I don't expect any problems.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 12:00 (Ref:776814)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I have to admit I do assume that the label would be different if it made a difference! Surely

I suppose after the next wash I could try to set fire to it
Old 8 Nov 2003, 12:08 (Ref:776818)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
Mine goes in the washing machine after every meeting, no probs so far.
Ditto.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 12:09 (Ref:776820)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
David, I am no expert on this I would'nt know what is OK, Is Nomex a fire proof material or a material inpregnated with a fire retardent? I was more thinking along the lines of the retardent washing out or the washing powder, many of which contain sand and some strange chemicals, degrading the fabric. I have always dry cleaned mine but will check the label and see what's what. Could save me £12 a time.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 12:11 (Ref:776823)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its a fireproof material.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 18:36 (Ref:777074)   #9
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checked with the washerwoman and she informs me that my racesuit goes into the machine set at 30 degrees with a non-biological detergent.
Old 8 Nov 2003, 21:44 (Ref:777208)   #10
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It apparently says:
- Machine wash at 40C
- Do not bleach
- Needs ironing
- Can be dry cleaned (underline probably means "with caution")

(I've just bought a new washing machine). I would also suggest you don't use fabric conditioner (it apparently messes with fibres in a way that's fine for T-shirts, but not good for techy stuff).

My suit says "Dry Clean Only", then later says "Drip Dry" - clearly designed for blokes!
Old 9 Nov 2003, 08:30 (Ref:777482)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK - from the horse's mouth.

Racesuits are OK to wash in ordinary washing machine. Wash them separately from anything else and use a DETERGENT not SOAP POWDER based agent. Reason? David Paterson said "My washing powder isn't flammable " but soap powder can react with especially hard water to leave a residue which is. Wash it separately so no fluff etc from other garments gets into the fabric. The fluff won't be flame retardant.

Use low (40deg) temps not for any fireproofing degradation but to avoid damage to the garment as a whole.

If you've got a Proban suit the retardant properties will NOT wash out - the confusion is caused by the bad wording of the label. However, it will wear away so look out for shiny patches - these are not protecting you.

Nomex doesn't degrade, but every time you work on your car you get dirt on it which'll sustain combustion so make sure you change or wear a coverall before getting oily. This may never wash out properly of course - how many sets of clothes have you ruined working on your car? - which is why you should replace your suits regularly. Not just to provide me a racing budget, honest.

Any questions and send me a PM or contact me thro' racewear.co.uk and I'll try to help.
Old 18 Nov 2003, 13:11 (Ref:787070)   #12
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tip for anyone whos brain is the same size, or smaller than mine (not very many of you):

Do not do a race in the rain in a single seater get your suit, Nomex T-shirt, Gloves and balaclava soaking wet, and then put them in you kit bag and forget them for a week!

The Walter Hays trophy was as wet as they come, any I only rmoved the suit from the bag last night! needless to say it smells and has gone mouldy!!!! a long with the rest of the aforementioned items!!

The worst part is that like many I put my balaclava and gloves inside my helmet, and went mouldy inside there, so that smells too!

I am just off to take my furmenting suit to the dry cleaners.........................
Old 18 Nov 2003, 14:56 (Ref:787177)   #13
spearce
Racer

spearce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Justin, same for me too, suit is OK. But inside of helmet didn't look (or smell) too good after a week with wet gloves inside !!!
I've used some foam cleaner to try to freshen things up a little, wonder if anyone will stand within sniffing distance next time out ???
Old 18 Nov 2003, 15:04 (Ref:787186)   #14
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
its good to know someone is as stupid as me Steve!

I have put my helmet in the airing cuoboard to dry out, not sure what to do about the smell yet - I will have to put a couple of leaves of clover in there!
Old 18 Nov 2003, 16:14 (Ref:787247)   #15
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
you can usually get the guts of a helmet out if your careful

just think . . . . someone got it in there in the first place !
Old 18 Nov 2003, 16:33 (Ref:787269)   #16
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Does anyone not wash there race suit? I race a Maestro which is an enclosed space and I think that after a couple of races my ears would water, if i did not wash the romper suit
Old 19 Nov 2003, 09:40 (Ref:788000)   #17
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
you can usually get the guts of a helmet out if your careful

just think . . . . someone got it in there in the first place !
I believe Arai Glue theirs' in for some reason. Thats why they can't be chromed.
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:48 (Ref:788084)   #18
spearce
Racer

Justin - no need to chrome F/glass or kevlar - it doesn't rust !!!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 11:52 (Ref:788086)   #19
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
Damn, Ive just had all the bodywork on the Van Diemen chromed!

The drycleaner told me yesterday she doubts that she can get the mould of my racesuit! If this is the case I will have to buy another, or look like a mouldy tramp!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:03 (Ref:788092)   #20
spearce
Racer

Hello mouldy tramp, is the 'high grunge' look still in, or did it go when JV lost his ride?
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:05 (Ref:788094)   #21
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
It went then, so will have to buy another one!

I don't want to look like the racing equivilent of Kurt Cobain!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:08 (Ref:788095)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Kurt's dead isn't he?
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:10 (Ref:788097)   #23
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
I meant pre '94 Kurt Kobain!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 12:14 (Ref:788104)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Pre 94 is even slower!
Old 19 Nov 2003, 13:14 (Ref:788196)   #25
spearce
Racer

There are some strange circumstances and unanswered questions surrounding the death of Kurt Cobain. This information has been the subject of books, television shows, radio shows, quite a few magazine and newspaper stories, even a film. Was Cobain murdered? This site organizes as much of the documented information, research, and media coverage as possible. It exists to either help get Kurt justice, if it turns out he was in fact murdered, or help clear his name and legacy of all these "murder theories" for good, if he wasn't. Whatever you believe happened in April 1994, the fact is he should have never been a victim of shoddy police work, blatant cover-ups, media manipulation, and general misinformation. Justice For Kurt Cobain.