Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Apr 2010, 22:48 (Ref:2675399)   #1
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BMW quits WTCC for DTM?

Source is only TcT so far so I'll take it with a pinch of salt, but if it happens great news for the DTM but perhaps the final nail in the WTCC coffin?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 06:33 (Ref:2675550)   #2
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BMW are preparing 1,6T engine for independents, so it's a question of advertising. There's no sense in works racing againts Focus, Civic or Cruze. If it's a private effort - no questions. But throw money to lose fights with lower class models is an antiadvertising.
Besides, BMW 320 with Mini engine - ..... What a strange world we live in.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2675599)   #3
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be for it. WTCC has been on a decline and DTM is in good health and couldn't go wrong with BMW.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 08:22 (Ref:2675604)   #4
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog07 View Post
DTM is in good health

DTM is a disaster right now. No passing, no action, stagnating TV-audiences and at times a big problem with team orders...
Old 19 Apr 2010, 08:36 (Ref:2675622)   #5
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW will remain in WTCC in one way or another, that's been confirmed. As helgi is saying, they are developing the 1,6 turbo-engine. But that's for private teams, and next year the new 3 series will arrive as the E90 is getting old. I still have doubts over a works effort from BMW in WTCC next year, DTM participation or not.

I'm a bit confused about the new DTM regulations. What will they look like (haven't been following the DTM thread since the last seasons were a sleeping pill for me), if that's even official? BMW has officially said earlier that DTM under present (or similar as present) regulations is not interesting.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2675650)   #6
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Theissen said that the current format is not suitable because these cars can be used only in DTM. He is going to step in only in case he can sell cars and get advertising in different championships throughout the World. And talks between ITR (DTM bosses) and GTA (Super GT) are going. So it would be great for both series. If I understand correct they are going to make some handicap system to equalize DTM and GT500 cars and only in 5 years introduce common regulations. And Germans go on with one-hour sprints while Japanese keep GT style racing. And new BMWs should compete in both series. In this case Theissen comes and saves DTM from collapse.
Old 19 Apr 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2675931)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
BMW 320 with Mini engine - ..... What a strange world we live in.
So strange that the next-generation 3er could have that very engine.

Btw, how about a merger with this thread?
Old 19 Apr 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2675967)   #8
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That thread over half a year old now!
Old 19 Apr 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2676132)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also remember that ITR had talks with Grand-Am, in which BMW run Engines for DP teams. Possible usage of that?
Old 20 Apr 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2676393)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Also remember that ITR had talks with Grand-Am, in which BMW run Engines for DP teams. Possible usage of that?
I'd say no. The Grand Am engine is production based, whereas the DTM-engines of Merc. and Audi are as far as I know bespoke racing engines. While the engines could surely be equalized it would open quite the can of worms and I am pretty sure that's not what the ITR wants...
Old 20 Apr 2010, 09:27 (Ref:2676397)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Of course Mercedes and Audi can switch to production based engines.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2676442)   #12
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Story was in Focus magazine in Germany wasn't it, which is pretty reliable I always thought.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2676454)   #13
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Story was in Focus magazine in Germany wasn't it, which is pretty reliable I always thought.
Yes and no. Reliable, in so far that it is one of the three big, serious and much read weeklies, but unreliable in so far that it usually deals with economics and politics and is not really known for its motorsports coverage...
Old 20 Apr 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2676497)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldn't really surprise me to see BMW leave after the organisers keep dumping on them.

Having said that, it seems as though they have gone backwards this year, perhaps they haven't done as much development on the E90 as in previous years...?
Old 20 Apr 2010, 13:26 (Ref:2676585)   #15
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Of course Mercedes and Audi can switch to production based engines.
Not a good idea, if you want to race against Super-GT cars in 2015. They have special racing engines.

And, Grand-Am's BMW engine is based on 4,8L 5-series V8, though BMW must race 3-series model's silhouette in DTM.
Old 20 Apr 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2676817)   #16
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it happens, its a shame.

The WTCC (or any touring car series for that matter) without BMW is like chips without ketchup.

It simply doesn't work (and anyone who contradicts me by suggesting that the better sauce is mayo is getting a talking to !)
Old 20 Apr 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2676897)   #17
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
and anyone who contradicts me by suggesting that the better sauce is mayo is getting a talking to
Damnit, how did you know?!?
Old 22 Apr 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2678001)   #18
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW said on numerous occasions, that they won't build cars to run in just one championship. Hence ITR talking/dealing with other series to have technical crossovers and attracting new manufacturers with a similar stance (similar to the BTCC/STCC linkup).
Old 23 Apr 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2678250)   #19
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
BMW said on numerous occasions, that they won't build cars to run in just one championship. Hence ITR talking/dealing with other series to have technical crossovers and attracting new manufacturers with a similar stance (similar to the BTCC/STCC linkup).
I think that sentiment might change if they don't actually have to develop all that many bespoke parts for DTM, i.e. if they could drop their GT2-engine into a spec-chassis and add a silhouette with limited aero (hence less time in the wind tunnel), the expenses might suddenly be justifiable, even if the car can only run in one series.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 09:18 (Ref:2678299)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I think that sentiment might change if they don't actually have to develop all that many bespoke parts for DTM, i.e. if they could drop their GT2-engine into a spec-chassis and add a silhouette with limited aero (hence less time in the wind tunnel), the expenses might suddenly be justifiable, even if the car can only run in one series.
Or a change of management at BMW? Don't know if there was a change but can imagine new people with power have less against a silhouette series. Different people, different opinions.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 13:08 (Ref:2678418)   #21
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see the same story, again based on Focus, made it into Autosport this week, so they obviously give it some credence.
Old 23 Apr 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2678559)   #22
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They were just a bit slow
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:45 (Ref:2681533)   #23
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Well, BMW step in in two years. It's official, and I'm happy, but DTM-thread should be carried to Sportscars section as BMW comes with M3 GT2 machinery.
Old 29 Apr 2010, 09:58 (Ref:2681543)   #24
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW confirms plans for DTM 2012 entry

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=4704
Old 29 Apr 2010, 10:11 (Ref:2681549)   #25
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very nice, hopefully the DTM can be interesting again

As a side note, it's also confirmed that BMW are paying Prodrive for building a new MINI in future WRC-spec (might have been official for a while, but I lost more and more interest in WRC last seasons).

These are both much better ways of spending money than to spend it all on F1.

So by reading this article, I understand they will also develop a new car for FIA WTCC (aimed at customers).