Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 May 2001, 12:39 (Ref:94470)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wanna See Your Machine Move?

To all those in the road car forum, have you ever looked at taking your car out on the high speeds of the circuit.

For those of you that want the thrill of speed, in a legal, controlled environment there are a number of avenues.

In Victoria, Australia we have a number of public events where you can take your road car for a bit of a thrash. For those of you that like Drags, and burnout comps, we have the Street Legal Drags run at Calder Raceway.

For those that like the skill of manoeuvring in and out of obstacles on various surfaces, we have the Group 5 Motorkhana series, which even runs a Victorian Championship round every year.

And for those that want to combine for the total package, there is the Group 5 Sprint Series which is run at Phillip Island, Calder, Sandown and I believe even Winton.

Sprints are a good way to start competing, you can take your road car down and as long as it passes scrutineering (road standards, plus a few extra little items) you can have a day of running in a group of 3 other cars, trying to get the best time for the day.

I have started in Sprints, and soon will be stepping into my first State Series Round.

Are there such avenues in other states or countries. I am certain there are, so please let us all know, so that those who want to get out and active with motorsport can have a chance to.
Old 20 May 2001, 13:51 (Ref:94484)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's nothing like that round here, except in places like southend, where all the barrys and their cars congregate to show them off. and get done by the police for speeding, no seatbelts, etc.
Old 20 May 2001, 15:48 (Ref:94498)   #3
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
So where are you located Bella? And how many car clubs or organisations do you have in your area?
Old 20 May 2001, 16:07 (Ref:94502)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We've driven the Hurricane round Castle Combe a few times, there used to be a kit-car day there every year, now it's run as a combined day for kit's and readers of a tin-tops mag. I'm told the tin-top drivers don't have such good manners on the circuit as the kit drivers!
There are track days at most circuits and some airfields organised by car clubs etc.
Old 21 May 2001, 10:52 (Ref:94738)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've done a few hillclimbs over the years, though never in my car. And now I have a car to do it in, I don't get a chance to run it...typical
Old 21 May 2001, 17:46 (Ref:94861)   #6
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
So has anyone looked seriously at taking their road car out for a burn?

I have a little red Mazda RX7 series 2 which is the same make as the race car, but is standard right down to its very Retro stereo. I am planning on taking this out for a bit of a sprint when I get it ready to handle it. IT is a lot of fun for a standard 12A engine, but it gives me something to do in between race weekends.

I have also thought of getting my girlfriend to have a drive, and see if she enjoys it. OF course I would send her out with a gun driver to teach her lines, and car control etc. But I think she may enjoy it.

Anyway I have also looked into running a few motorkhanas on the weekends that I am not racing or sprinting, or officiating. (sound like I am hooked on the sport, well I am).

Anyway tell me what you do with your road cars. For example a guy at my work just got booked because he was at the illegal street drags. He wasn't competing just there, anyway I tell him there are actual events held on tracks where he and his mates can go.

They had no idea, that is why this thread began.
Old 22 May 2001, 01:21 (Ref:95015)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I live in Brisbane, and I have always dreamt of testing my Volvo AWD (not the Cross Country) on a track. However, my better half would probably kill me if i did. I do intend to drive the car up to Mt. Glorious on my own as soon as my replacement Michelin Pilot Sport is fitted tomorrow. (I ruined one of the tyres by running too long on a flat tyre). It has taken me two and a half months to get a replacement tyre.
Old 22 May 2001, 10:37 (Ref:95124)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
vandas, i'm in cambridge, in the east of england (in case you didn't know...hey, a lot of people don't!). as far as i know, there's nothing. i mean, there's probably clubs for little boys to show off their plastic girlfriends and equally plastic cars, but nothing worth while.

and besides, if i can have drives like yesterday (a505-a11-a14 to ipswich and back), who needs it.

it's a shame really, because halfway through a corner at 90mph (316i's, ****? never!), i realised i have too much aggression, and need to go and take it out on a track. i can never be beaten on the road. i must outdrive/overtake everyone on the dual carriageways, except porsches and other fast cars. and i figure all that agression's wasted. i want to take my car out, but come on, what can you get from a 316i with a dead engine, no special tweaks, and totally finished shocks? (180kmh, evidently...)
Old 22 May 2001, 11:33 (Ref:95144)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bella

Trade the BM on a Motorcycle, any make, any capacity.

Then know the meaning of living life in the fast lane.
Old 22 May 2001, 16:52 (Ref:95235)   #10
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well Moffat,

I plan on getting the two extremes of road going licences. I am planning on going for my motorbike, and my truck licence. Reason being, I want to be able to legally drive anything, plus I wanna get a bike to toy around with.

Also sometimes we need a licenced driver to get the team truck to and from events. We currently only have one. So Dad is paying for me to get my truck licence. hehehe
Old 23 May 2001, 01:07 (Ref:95386)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very useful documentation to have... and not very heavy to cart around with you. Good move!
Old 11 Jun 2001, 10:11 (Ref:103835)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vandas, a truck licence is a handy way to get in through the back door of a top racing team.

It constantly amazes me that so many people are completely unaware of that fact that just about every road circuit has frequent club days, sprints etc. where anybody can rock up with his street car and go for a speed, in safety. In fact, I took part in just such an event last weekend at Lakeside. There were many novices out there, having a good time and hopefully learning an awful lot about driving.

Bella, contact the MSA, I'm sure there are worthwhile motorsport clubs all over Britain, alternatively contact the ciruits and ask them about club/open days. You really need to get your fix and get it on a circuit, before the inevitable big one on the road.