Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 20 Jun 2001, 04:43 (Ref:107207)   #26
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
..............................of course, with a taut body and more power...
You've been to Upsalla as well then Ray?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 05:18 (Ref:107214)   #27
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, should I start saving?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 05:21 (Ref:107215)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
No, should I start saving?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 05:28 (Ref:107218)   #29
Ray Bell
Veteran

Given the theme of the thread, maybe somebody could tow me?
Old 29 Jun 2001, 06:47 (Ref:111070)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well, I’ve road tested both cars now. I took the Explorer out for an hour around the country lanes near my home. I was surprised at its poise. For such a big car (and after all the reports) it corners quite well. I felt no serious body roll and the controls were all easy to reach. The response from the engine was good with progressive acceleration and no noticeable gear change under power. My only gripe is the driver’s seat. As with all Fords the seat base is quite solid which means that when I spend more than half-an-hour sitting on my wallet my bum goes numb!!!

The Cherokee is a 60th anniversary model. It’s Silverstone (appropriate?) and as with the Explorer is full leather upholstery. The car is smaller than the Ford. I took this up a motorway and through Beaconsfield and down some lanes. The first thing I noticed was a tendency to under steer (I put this down to slightly off tracking). There is also a bit of body roll so corners need a little more respect. However the “wallet test” proved how comfortable the front seats are. I would not really like to be a back seat passenger because the seat base is a bit low for me.

The Cherokee is smaller (but not too much) and some 7K cheaper, than the Ford, but it is more comfortable to drive. What to do???:confused:

To be continued.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 16:00 (Ref:111172)   #31
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Take you wallet out of your pocket on any trip longer then 10 km.
There is no comparison between the Explorer and the Cherokee. Without any doubt the Explorer is worth an extra 7k, I hope that is not pounds. Take the Explorer every time. My son just retired an older model Cherokee. He will let you have it cheap, needs a new engine, leather upholstery is like new.
Before you buy the Explorer, take it out on a gravel road, real bumpy, Wasboard style (corrugated) and drive it at 70 to 100kph and see how it behaves.
Old 29 Jun 2001, 22:16 (Ref:111282)   #32
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dear Mr Mallett,

We at Wallet Lightening Enterprises would like to inform you of another alternative to your predicament. Simply buy the car of your chose, then, if you can't sit in it because your wallet is too large give the offending article to us. For a small fee, which is beneficial to the cause, we will train your wallet and remove the access fat.

Your new slim line wallet will allow you to fully participate in the lifestyle you've always wanted. Impress the women in your new lotus, that now you can drive it as well. Display a backside of smooth and round proportions, not incumbered by a hefty bulge at the back pocket.

If you require further information or for a obligation inducing expensive quote, please contact me.

Regards

Moffat.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 12:03 (Ref:111719)   #33
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hammer, have you considered any of the Japanese alternatives? I've heard some awful stories about build quality in Explorers and Jeeps.

G'day Morrie and welcome to the fun.
Old 3 Jul 2001, 13:55 (Ref:112500)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well what can I say? Your concern overwhelms me.

Hans. I agree there is really no comparison in terms of overall package. The Ford has those extra luxuries and the size to compensate for any shortfalls. However I’m unlikely to be travelling for any distance on washboard roads so that’s really not a concern. BTW. It’s Sterling not Dollars.

At my first ever race at Brands Hatch the Commentator (dear old Brian Jones) introduced me as “Peter Wallet”. But since then I’ve had little need for the services of a “wallet lightening company”, but thanks for the offer. However the BARC, CSCC and various racetracks have beaten you to it.

David. I spend an awful lot of time in Toyota Landcruisers. For me there’s little going for them. They are oversized, noisy and too softly sprung.

So, having spent a few days in Cornwall fishing and catching some all too rare English sun, I’ve made my decision on the basis that the car is well known and has everything I really need (including full leather etc.) and represents good value for money, I’ve selected the Jeep.

Picking it up on Saturday.
Old 4 Jul 2001, 02:04 (Ref:112778)   #35
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wish you the best of luck with your purchase and hope that it will serve you well. We will get a report from you in about one year I hope.
Old 4 Jul 2001, 10:57 (Ref:112872)   #36
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oui Mullett

is this a Grande Cherokee or the less important model??

Would you post a picture of the new thang if we asked nicely?
Old 4 Jul 2001, 15:49 (Ref:112992)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's a 60th anniversary Cherokee. The less inmportant one. However the colour is Silverstone. Can't think why it appeals.
Old 8 Jul 2001, 12:53 (Ref:114378)   #38
snakepit27
Racer

snakepit27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

i use a 2000 GMC SIERRA 1500 with a 5.3 Vortec V8....285 foot lbs and 300hp........tow up to 8tons
Old 8 Jul 2001, 16:00 (Ref:114435)   #39
Ray Bell
Veteran

What's in the eight tons?