Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Aug 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3115093)   #226
Crazy Craig
Rookie

England
Upshire, Essex
Crazy Craig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone have pics or footage of the save of the season by the driver of the red RS500 in the ST race ? He booted it out of Woodcote & pulled out to pass one of the M3's, proceeded to get a real tank slapper on all along the old pitwall & managed to sort it all out ..... fantastic suff (from the outside !!).

Here it is as I saw it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMV2w9SEJA
Old 2 Aug 2012, 08:34 (Ref:3115109)   #227
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Craig View Post
Does anyone have pics or footage of the save of the season by the driver of the red RS500 in the ST race ? He booted it out of Woodcote & pulled out to pass one of the M3's, proceeded to get a real tank slapper on all along the old pitwall & managed to sort it all out ..... fantastic suff (from the outside !!).

Here it is as I saw it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMV2w9SEJA
Top driving fella
Old 2 Aug 2012, 08:38 (Ref:3115110)   #228
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig, can't see the video via your link, but think this one will work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMV2...1&feature=plcp

It was a fantastic save, well done mate !!!!!!
Old 2 Aug 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3115143)   #229
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some pics from Race 4 - The Stirling Moss Trophy for Pre 61 sports cars. Being pedantic I'd call these Sports Racing cars rather than simply sports cars, but that's just me!:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6525wb.jpg   IMG_6535wb.jpg   IMG_6548wb.jpg  

IMG_6560wb.jpg   IMG_6583wb.jpg   IMG_6599wb.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2012, 10:00 (Ref:3115149)   #230
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And a few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6605wb.jpg   IMG_6611wb.jpg   IMG_6629wb.jpg  

IMG_6647wb.jpg   IMG_6713wb.jpg   IMG_6721wb.jpg  

Old 2 Aug 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3115347)   #231
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Craig View Post
Brilliant brown trouser moment!
Old 3 Aug 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3115551)   #232
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Phew!
Old 3 Aug 2012, 13:16 (Ref:3115605)   #233
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I posted it in the wall there at a Walter Hayes support race, I can confirm that wall is very solid Craig and you were wise to avoid it!
Old 10 Aug 2012, 08:10 (Ref:3118237)   #234
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Can someone clear something up for me?

The organisers suggest that the Group C races this year were the first time three Lancia LC2s have appeared on the same grid since Le Mans in 1983. Is that right? Didn't three of them take part in the support event for this year's Le Mans 24 Hours?

Edit: Ah, they weren't three MARTINI liveried Lancias at Le Mans this year...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes there were 3 at the 24hrs. The Classic press release specifically described the cars as 'Martini Lancia LC2s' so maybe at Le Mans they were not all in same livery....

Are you thinking of a complaint under Trade Descriptions Act?

IIRC the third Lancia at the Le Mans support race this year was Henrik Lindberg's car, which is plain red- I think it's the privateer car raced by Gianni Mussato in the late 80's, rather than a factory 'Martini' car.
Back in period, it was pretty rare for Lancia to field three Martini cars- Le Mans 83, and Brands 84 as mentioned by retrognome were about the only occasions that come to mind. More often than not, any third Lancia usually raced as a Jolly Club entry in a variety of liveries, particularly in 'Totip' colours: http://www.sportscar-racing.thesaxby...lanciasil2.jpg

It's great to see three- potentially 4 if the Lindberg car ever turns out at the same meeting as the Cleveley, Wills and Duncan McKay cars (as I recall, Henrik brought his 962 out at Silverstone instead?)- LC2s back on track- they really are wonderful beasts.....
Old 10 Aug 2012, 08:23 (Ref:3118241)   #235
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghirlracer View Post
By the way, to the people complaining about younger cars being present: do bear in mind that one race for more modern cars probably attracted in a fair number of younger spectators (it certainly attracted me), who may have developed a new interest in classic cars as a result: a younger generation of enthusiasts can only be a good thing for ensuring these amazing vehicles survive long into the future.
True enough- I guess what brings a lot of us to historic racing, whether as competitors or spectators is the nostalgia factor, and for the younger generation of spectators, nostalgia probably revolves around the 80's or 90's cars. Personally, I love watching any kind of historic racing from Edwardians to Group C, but as much as I enjoy the older cars, I've only ever seen them raced as historics, I'm too young to have seen them 'in period'. The newer cars have a different appeal for me because Group C sportscars and Group A tourers were the cars I saw when I went to my first race meetings as a teenager around 1984/5...

As a friend said to me a while back 'You know you're middle-aged when you're watching historic racing and find yourself thinking 'I saw that car race when it was new...'
Old 17 Aug 2012, 13:08 (Ref:3121074)   #236
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a friend said to me a while back 'You know you're middle-aged when you're watching historic racing and find yourself thinking 'I saw that car race when it was new...'[/QUOTE]

How true is that?
Old 19 Aug 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3121691)   #237
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Or worse than middle age, for some of us who remember watching cars from the 1960's first time around!

Few pics from Race 12 - RAC Woodcote Trophy for pre 1956 Sports cars:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6878wb.jpg   IMG_6887wb.jpg   IMG_6890wb.jpg  

IMG_6899wb.jpg   IMG_6910wb.jpg   IMG_6911wb.jpg  

Old 19 Aug 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3121696)   #238
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And a few more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6892wb.jpg   IMG_6900wb.jpg   IMG_6896wb.jpg  

IMG_6921wb.jpg   IMG_6928wb.jpg   IMG_6932wb.jpg  

Old 19 Aug 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3121797)   #239
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
As ever John you do take some lovely pictures! Pleasure to view them here (even if i'm more from the KA era of 'old'!!)
Old 19 Aug 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3121810)   #240
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks John, and I have to ask- did the yellow 'D' Type hold that slide?

Some lovely cars in Woodcote Trophy. Did you get manage to get a shot of Malcolm Paul's Lotus X? Sadly a rear hub shaft failed so it lost drive and stopped on circuit. I gather the car has been fitted with shiny new ones for Goodwood!

Old 20 Aug 2012, 08:40 (Ref:3121979)   #241
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Thanks John, and I have to ask- did the yellow 'D' Type hold that slide?

Some lovely cars in Woodcote Trophy. Did you get manage to get a shot of Malcolm Paul's Lotus X? Sadly a rear hub shaft failed so it lost drive and stopped on circuit. I gather the car has been fitted with shiny new ones for Goodwood!

1) Yes

2) I'll check!
Old 20 Aug 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3121992)   #242
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No shot of the Lotus X I'm afraid Mike, someone on here must surely have one. Where's Brands when you need him?!
Old 20 Aug 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3121994)   #243
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
OK, found one. My old friend Bob Bull has a nice frontal shot here:-

https://picasaweb.google.com/rbmapic...54728955987650
Old 20 Aug 2012, 17:27 (Ref:3122208)   #244
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks John and Bob, some more lovely shots there!

Old 23 Aug 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3123478)   #245
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Of the races I actually got to see, the RAC Tourist Trophy Race for Pre 63GT cars was, for me the finest grid. A few pics from the rolling start and first couple of laps, but I'll also put up quite a few more later:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6935wb.jpg   IMG_6937wb.jpg   IMG_6944wb.jpg  

IMG_6950wb.jpg   IMG_6966wb.jpg   IMG_6969wb.jpg  

Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:03 (Ref:3125691)   #246
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Next 4 posts devoted to the Pre 63 race:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6982wb.jpg   IMG_6994wb.jpg   IMG_6999wb.jpg  

IMG_7039wb.jpg   IMG_7048wb.jpg   IMG_7064wb.jpg  

Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3125694)   #247
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7071wb.jpg   IMG_7077wb.jpg   IMG_7096wb.jpg  

IMG_7104wb.jpg   IMG_7111wb.jpg   IMG_7117wb.jpg  

Old 27 Aug 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3125697)   #248
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And more:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7121wb.jpg   IMG_7140wb.jpg   IMG_7167wb.jpg  

IMG_7173wb.jpg   IMG_7190wb.jpg   IMG_7198wb.jpg  

Old 27 Aug 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3125720)   #249
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Last lot for Pre 63GT:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7205wb.jpg   IMG_7207wb.jpg   IMG_7216wb.jpg  

IMG_7288wb.jpg   IMG_7301wb.jpg   IMG_7302wb.jpg  

Old 28 Aug 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3126279)   #250
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks John and Bob, some more lovely shots there!

Mike,
Glad to be of help, try looking at Classic 2011 Saturday (Green TR2 cover) and Revival 2009 for more pics of the car, if you are interested. All can be downloaded FOC. Just remember me when you make millions out of them.

Cheers,

Bob.

PS; John, not so much of the 'old friend' please. I am still young at heart