Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Jul 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3104043)   #51
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Silverstone's going through hell this weekend isn't it? One feels for them, even if it turns out that the problems are self-inflicted. Fingers crossed that the Classic turns out to be an oasis of sunshine!
by Sunday a lot of the problems were resolved. I drove straight in yesterday morning and had no problems leaving after the race. I was back in Hampshire by 4.30
Old 9 Jul 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3104151)   #52
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
by Sunday a lot of the problems were resolved. I drove straight in yesterday morning and had no problems leaving after the race. I was back in Hampshire by 4.30
That's good news, but only serves to highlight what utter cr@p value the GP is for the spectator. Back home for 4:30? Go to Combe, you don't leave much before six and it's wall-to-wall entertainment. Or, to bring it back on topic, on the Saturday at the Classic there's still racing at 9:00pm on the Saturday and all for just £88 for the three days!
Old 9 Jul 2012, 12:21 (Ref:3104164)   #53
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
That's good news, but only serves to highlight what utter cr@p value the GP is for the spectator. Back home for 4:30? Go to Combe, you don't leave much before six and it's wall-to-wall entertainment. Or, to bring it back on topic, on the Saturday at the Classic there's still racing at 9:00pm on the Saturday and all for just £88 for the three days!
that of course is a very different comment and in my mind it takes a lot to beat a day at Castle Combe.
I was fortunate that I was inside the track so was able to move around quite freely - up by the old pits was, apart from the support race teams it was pretty much empty. Three support races and the GP on Sunday was not great value and I was gutted the HFO was moved to Saturday. However, as always, The Red Arrows put on a great show.
Had a look at the classic timetable and it looks good, however it sadly clashes with FF weekend at Nurburgring so again I will have to miss it.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3104813)   #54
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Was looking to attend the Silverstone Classic, however the relatively ticket prices kinda put me off. £30 is still a lot of money, and £60 on the door is just a joke.

Sorry, but too much for me, if it were £20 then I might be interested, I just think £30 is too much.
Old 10 Jul 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3104880)   #55
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ummm, it's actually £45!

Donington this weekend for the Euro Le Mans series is £25 to watch a couple of dozen cars racing for six hours. MG Live was £25 a few weeks back. Autosports International is £25 plus £8 car parking. I really don't think £45 is out of the way for an event with hundreds of the most important historic cars in Europe, racing from 0900 to 2105, superb paddock access, club stands, free parking and truly excellent trade stands ;-)

Last edited by midgetman; 10 Jul 2012 at 22:31.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 07:36 (Ref:3104965)   #56
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, I checked just after I posted that, it is £45. Thats almost double the cost of a BTCC meeting (love it or hate it).

Yep, Autosport International is another overpriced event that I no longer attend, I think when I did last it was in 1998 and it was £15 or something like that.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3105023)   #57
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want cheaper ticket prices? Buy in advance. Simples.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3105027)   #58
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Want cheaper ticket prices? Buy in advance. Simples.
£45 is the advance price, its £60 on the door. Unless you mean it was cheaper months ago than £45? Even if it was, I am reluctant to buy tickets so far in advance as I can never be sure that I can make it on that date.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 11:44 (Ref:3105048)   #59
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
It's always the same, squire.
Britcar 24, if you got the free tickets in March, was a steal. On the door, it was about £50, IIRC.
At least you get something ALL day, unlike Premiership footy, at £100 a ticket for just under 2 hours...
Old 11 Jul 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3105125)   #60
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sodemo, if you just want to see high quality historic racing on the GP circuit best visit the HSCC International meeting in May every year. I guess spectator prices will be relatively low. If you want all the razzmatazz that Silverstone Classic brings as well it is going to cost more- as it does to race at the meeting! Still cheap compared with Goodwood Revival.........

Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3105229)   #61
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Sodemo, if you just want to see high quality historic racing on the GP circuit best visit the HSCC International meeting in May every year. I guess spectator prices will be relatively low. If you want all the razzmatazz that Silverstone Classic brings as well it is going to cost more- as it does to race at the meeting! Still cheap compared with Goodwood Revival.........

Hey Mike,

Well I believe there is a historic meeting at Donington in a few weeks, so I may go to that instead. Not sure what the meeting is like in terms of "quality" but its more than half the price of the Silverstone Classic (£15). There is also the CSCC mid-Sept also for the same price.

Its a shame about the Silverstone Classic because I was kinda looking forward to seeing the old supertourers which I doubt will be on at any other event.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:19 (Ref:3105230)   #62
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Was looking to attend the Silverstone Classic, however the relatively ticket prices kinda put me off.
Easy answer become a marshal, get in for free every day and have the best view in the house. Simples.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 17:50 (Ref:3105248)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Easy answer become a marshal, get in for free every day and have the best view in the house. Simples.
You have a point there!

That Donington meeting weekend after Classic seems to be growing in stature, with Coys getting involved. The Silverstone Fujifilm race (nearly 40 cars entered) is a one off, but if older stuff like CSLs appeals then Oulton Gold Cup end of August is next round of JD Classics challenge. Or Portimao mid October..........

Finals and info pack arrived today! Only change- for those competitors camping- is that it now will be at Winter Hills behind Competitor parking. Adverse weather apparently....

Old 11 Jul 2012, 19:07 (Ref:3105279)   #64
midgetman
Veteran

Exhibitors are consigned to Woodlands again. I'm probably bivouacing in the van there Thursday and Friday now, Mrs and MiniMM not joining me until Saturday when it's the delights of the Premier Inn, Milton Keynes. Our stand is in line of sight of the big screen it seems, so I shouldn't miss anything this year
Old 11 Jul 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3105289)   #65
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HSCC International trophy two day meeting costs £15 for the weekend.

Classic news, the Tourers, E-type and Peter Gethin entries are up on the HSCC site.

The Classic site also has a note regarding hard standing areas for traders, car clubs etc.
Old 15 Jul 2012, 08:55 (Ref:3106558)   #66
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at the Friday testing list and found this......

Nicholas Minassian Peugeot 905

Is this for real????????

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 15 Jul 2012, 09:27 (Ref:3106564)   #67
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack View Post
Just had a look at the Friday testing list and found this......

Nicholas Minassian Peugeot 905

Is this for real????????
Yes! Announced in autosport the other week!
Old 16 Jul 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3106936)   #68
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Has an entry list been published yet?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 07:24 (Ref:3106943)   #69
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
So was there a big crowd?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3106947)   #70
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Hold on, I'll just hop into my flux-capacitor rigged Delorean and let you know...
Old 16 Jul 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3106950)   #71
midgetman
Veteran

Will NM be racing the 905 as well as testing it?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 07:56 (Ref:3106955)   #72
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Has an entry list been published yet?
Some of the entry lists are here...

http://www.hscc.org.uk/calendar.html

Look out for Bev Bond with his polo shirts and stickers supporting his charity....

(Artwork kindly donated by Alan Raine)

By giraffe138 at 2012-07-11
Old 16 Jul 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3106970)   #73
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Will NM be racing the 905 as well as testing it?
Yes it is entered in GpC race with Missasian to drive. May give those silver things a run for their money! There was one entered in the odd GpC race last year, not sure if this is same one. There was one in the LMC auction other week.

Also 3 yes three Lancia LC2s entered!

Old 16 Jul 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3106985)   #74
midgetman
Veteran

That'll be one very happy Mini-MM then who is desperate to see one in action.

Three Lancia LC2s - I have poor memories of them "in period". I drew one in the coach trip sweepstake on the way to Le Mans, it was on pole so by the time the race came I'd already spent the "certain" winnings - damned thing broke down on the warm up lap, never saw it again until I spied Roger W last year!
Old 16 Jul 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3107033)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Roger wasn't driving the LC2 last year was he? I thought he was running a Group C2 car.