Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jul 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3107071)   #76
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.....yeah you're right perhaps I could change the post to read:

"Until I spied Roger W at Le Mans this year"
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:15 (Ref:3107132)   #77
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.....yeah you're right perhaps I could change the post to read:

"Until I spied Roger W at Le Mans this year"
Sort it out Max....

Think LM support GpC race was first for Roger in his. It was only car to give the Mercs a run for their money when not stuck behind the safety car. But as he said on this thread earlier, the several years difference in age of the cars results in different performance level as well. On that basis I would expect the Pug to be quickest- if as race fit as the silver jobs.

Only disappointment with the LC2 for me is the noise- twin turbo Ferrari V8 but sounds more like ??? With perfect timing slot car manufacturer Slot-It have just produced a 1/32 Martini liveried version so may have my own LC 2 soon!
Old 16 Jul 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3107133)   #78
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is the difficulty with Group C machinery IMO. They developed them so quickly, only the 962 had any longevity and once Merc and later Peugeot, got themselves sorted, the category died. The Jags as a f'rinstance were two season wonders. A great shame really because the Group C era, in and of itself, was the golden era of prototype racing.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3107325)   #79
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This is the difficulty with Group C machinery IMO. They developed them so quickly, only the 962 had any longevity and once Merc and later Peugeot, got themselves sorted, the category died. The Jags as a f'rinstance were two season wonders. A great shame really because the Group C era, in and of itself, was the golden era of prototype racing.
Yes, the pace of development kind of got out of control.

Just received this in an email timed at 1841hrs. All a bit last minute......

"We have been appointed by Classic Historic Racing Ltd to act as their Health and Safety Consultant in respect of the Silverstone Classic Event 2012.
As a part of this role, we have been requested to undertake a review of Competency/Safety Documentation as a part of the due diligence for the event."

£1m Public Liability insurance required plus a form to be filled in and returned. "Site Rules" to follow......

Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3107327)   #80
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er,

The level of insurance is not that high but getting the policy will take time. Is this for individual entrants or teams?

By the way, I'd be surprised if you actually need the insurance cover, you should be able to take the risk, this is a common law right, in fact if we haven't had it before we've automatically been exercising that right anyway.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3107332)   #81
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Er,

The level of insurance is not that high but getting the policy will take time. Is this for individual entrants or teams?

By the way, I'd be surprised if you actually need the insurance cover, you should be able to take the risk, this is a common law right, in fact if we haven't had it before we've automatically been exercising that right anyway.
Agree, and assume this is just aimed at those taking advantage of having a truck and awning in the preparers areas. I have insurance but of course documents are at the workshop so will have to wait until the morning to respond- and really would rather be loading as off at crack of dawn Wednesday!

Wonder if the recent incident at Duxford has anything to do with it?
Old 16 Jul 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3107333)   #82
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Duxford. My thoughts exactly.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3107367)   #83
Cookie2000
Rookie

England
England
Cookie2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
Has an entry list been published yet?
Yes... http://www.hscc.org.uk/resources/Pro...%20Classic.pdf
Old 16 Jul 2012, 20:38 (Ref:3107379)   #84
Wendy Wool
Rookie

Wendy Wool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another fantastic line up.
Cant believe Morgan owners haver come back for another destruction derby!
Old 16 Jul 2012, 21:06 (Ref:3107383)   #85
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Yes, the pace of development kind of got out of control.

Just received this in an email timed at 1841hrs. All a bit last minute......

"We have been appointed by Classic Historic Racing Ltd to act as their Health and Safety Consultant in respect of the Silverstone Classic Event 2012.
As a part of this role, we have been requested to undertake a review of Competency/Safety Documentation as a part of the due diligence for the event."

£1m Public Liability insurance required plus a form to be filled in and returned. "Site Rules" to follow......

We exhibitors had that a couple of weeks back. I sent it back unsigned, saying I refused to sign a document that tied me to obeying unseen site rules, when those very site rules could compromise my health and safety policy. I attached my "To whom it may concern" insurance letter and the cut'n'pasted Race Retro risk assessment and haven't heard another word from them Just a box ticking exercise.
Old 16 Jul 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3107388)   #86
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Guys !

Coming from France, I'm planning to arrive on Thursday to see some great historic racing ! I have a pass that starts from Friday only, do you think it will be possible to get in for the Thursday test day ?

Louis.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 05:29 (Ref:3107449)   #87
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
Hi Guys !

Coming from France, I'm planning to arrive on Thursday to see some great historic racing ! I have a pass that starts from Friday only, do you think it will be possible to get in for the Thursday test day ?

Louis.
Hi Louis, thursday is a set up day so vehicles coming in are expected to have that pass. I would suggest going to the welcome centre which will be in car park on right of main entrance and asking. Can't see why you can't get in but whether they will let you bring car in as well is the question. I will PM you mobile number- if you are stuck give me a call and I will see what I can do from the paddock!

Old 17 Jul 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3107499)   #88
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi there, does anyone have any info on the condition of the ground at the circuit, especially the competitors camping area ?

We are arriving on Weds evening & need to know what type of wellies to bring - hiking boots, normal wellies or fishing waders !!!!!!!

Seems like it's been raining all week, but would just like to know if anyone has been there during this week.

At least it's supposed to get better towards the weekend.... let's hope !!!
Old 17 Jul 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3107517)   #89
midgetman
Veteran

I have just received the following from the organisers:

Dear Exhibitor,
We are delighted to tell you that despite the recent weather conditions, the Silverstone Classic will be ‘opening for business’ over the weekend of July 20-22 2012. We have, however, had to make some changes to the site layout which will affect some car club displays and some exhibitor stand locations.
The grass areas at Silverstone including the Autojumble plots are quite badly affected by water saturation, so all autojumble plots have moved from the Copse grass area to Copse runway which is tarmac.
All Trade Stands are already on tarmac, and Vending Stands and Art & Photo Gallery have cassette flooring and will be surrounded by trackway from the tarmac. Please note, we have slightly rearranged the Vending Stands to help with the overall flow of the trade area following the changes to the autojumble stands.
Please find the new trade village layout attached. Please note, your stand numbers will remain the same.
The Silverstone Classic 2012 event is going forward as planned. Ticket sales are doing surprisingly well despite the weather and as the majority of the event is on hard standing there is no likelihood of it being cancelled.

It doesn't say anything about the camping areas, but I reckon you should be thinking of wellies. The ground may have firmed up by the weekend and this IS the UK so probably waders, hiking boots and flip flops! Trackway has a habit of sinking, so that will probably end up muddy no matter what the weather.

Come and see us! We've been relocated from the edge of the vending to the middle but the organisers can't help the weather!
Old 17 Jul 2012, 11:29 (Ref:3107532)   #90
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I have just received the following from the organisers:

It doesn't say anything about the camping areas, but I reckon you should be thinking of wellies. The ground may have firmed up by the weekend and this IS the UK so probably waders, hiking boots and flip flops! Trackway has a habit of sinking, so that will probably end up muddy no matter what the weather.

Come and see us! We've been relocated from the edge of the vending to the middle but the organisers can't help the weather!
Thanks for the reminder for flip flops...... almost forgot them

Will make it over to the trade area, so look out for a fat, bald guy with glasses wobbling around on an old blue bicycle ...... not yer usual U2TC racing jockey, I'm afraid !!!

Cheers, Martin
Old 17 Jul 2012, 12:11 (Ref:3107544)   #91
midgetman
Veteran

Latest from the organisers:

STATEMENT:

The Organisers of the Silverstone Classic 2012 made a new inspection of Woodlands Campsite at 12noon Tuesday 17th July. The grass areas in the campsite are damp after the recent heavy rain but sufficient areas are still usable. The Organisers recommend that all campers come prepared for wet weather camping with suitable clothing and footwear. The Campsite managers have vehicles for towing any vehicle that does encounter a problem.

Waders, wellies and flip flops it is then!
Old 17 Jul 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3107581)   #92
FMS
Rookie

FMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie2000 View Post

Hi

I have seen the International pits garage layout on the Masters web site

(http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...ing%20plan.pdf)

but not all of the F1 cars are going to be in those pits.

Does anyone know where the Tyrell 006 (John Delane) , Ensign 01 (Sydney Hoole) , March 721 (Rudolf Ernst), Mclaren M26 (Frank Lyons) and Brabham BT42 (Paul Knapfiedl) are going to be based ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3107594)   #93
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camp sites

Copied from the Marshals forum SC thread.

Silverstone Woodlands
To everyone camping with us at the Silverstone Classic:

We're really sorry we haven't yet responded to your emails; we have been extremely busy preparing the campsite for this weekend after the damage caused at the F1.

We will now be available to answer any questions or concerns you may have on info@silverstonewoodlands.co.uk

Here is an update on the ground conditions on-site:

- The ground is still very wet underfoot following persistent rain since the F1.

- Please bring with you wellies or wet weather footwear.

- The grass is damaged in many locations site wide, but on the whole is in good condition.

- If we experience more rain before or during the event it is possible that your vehicle will need to be towed. We will be on-hand to facilitate this but please be prepared.

- You will be able to park your car next to your pitch.

- The site will be operating as normal but please be prepared for mud and wet ground conditions.

- The Petrol Head Pub will be open as usual.

We apologise once again for not getting back to you sooner and are looking forward to seeing you all this weekend.
Old 17 Jul 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3107636)   #94
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
After reading the various reports regarding the Woodlands site we are going to head up on Thursday evening. Hopefully my friend who has an infield car pass will be able to drive in and out without incident. My car will be parked up until Sunday evening.

I take wet weather clothing and boots to every UK motorsport event, regardless of whether it's a dought or flood year.

A great entry, really looking forward to visiting both pits on Friday and shooting the races over the weekend.

Old 17 Jul 2012, 17:44 (Ref:3107637)   #95
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMS View Post
Hi

I have seen the International pits garage layout on the Masters web site

(http://www.themastersseries.com/reso...ing%20plan.pdf)

but not all of the F1 cars are going to be in those pits.

Does anyone know where the Tyrell 006 (John Delane) , Ensign 01 (Sydney Hoole) , March 721 (Rudolf Ernst), Mclaren M26 (Frank Lyons) and Brabham BT42 (Paul Knapfiedl) are going to be based ?

Thanks in advance.
They will presumably based at their preparers trucks. There are two areas where these will be based- the International paddock and the National paddock. Don't assume that as the cars are racing from the International / New Wing that they will be based there, but it is most likely they will, so look there first!
Old 17 Jul 2012, 18:17 (Ref:3107648)   #96
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
They will presumably based at their preparers trucks. There are two areas where these will be based- the International paddock and the National paddock. Don't assume that as the cars are racing from the International / New Wing that they will be based there, but it is most likely they will, so look there first!
That is wrong

We (I and I presume most GP Masters entries), will actually be based in the new wing pits, which is required by the organisers.
Apart from that, a 3 litre F1 is not the car that You want to drive around the paddock with these crowds

We have asked to be based in the new pits near the GPM / HGPCA border to get my 2 cars close together and save running back and forth.

Rudolf
Old 17 Jul 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3107709)   #97
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
That is wrong

We (I and I presume most GP Masters entries), will actually be based in the new wing pits, which is required by the organisers.
Apart from that, a 3 litre F1 is not the car that You want to drive around the paddock with these crowds

We have asked to be based in the new pits near the GPM / HGPCA border to get my 2 cars close together and save running back and forth.

Rudolf
The new wing pits is the International paddock by another name........

Old 17 Jul 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3107774)   #98
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be with my Alfa in the 'cheap seats' paddock (with some of the other pre-63 GT cars) in garage 9.

Any 10-tenthers around, come and say 'hi' over the weekend - Or look out for a big, bearded bloke 'riding' an unfeasibly slow French moped (will be bringing my Velosolex as pit bike).

Looking forward to the pre-63 race immensely, even if we will be one of the slowest (and least valuable) cars on the grid....

Weather forecast doesn't look half bad (he says, jinxing it for ever more...).
Old 18 Jul 2012, 09:41 (Ref:3107903)   #99
FMS
Rookie

FMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
That is wrong

Rudolf
Thanks Mike and Rudolf. If anyone else has any more info I'd be grateful.
Old 18 Jul 2012, 15:58 (Ref:3108057)   #100
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently I will be there on Saturday, presumably with a spanner in my hand at some point in with the U2TC
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang