Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jun 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3419875)   #276
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel told by RBR to stop complaining and 'raise his game'.

Helmet Marko: "He is four-time world champion and if he can't sort out the car the easiest thing is the driver. He has to raise his game."

"Sebastian was complaining about having such a bad car, so there was a different approach, and on top of it Sebastian wants everything absolutely right."
Old 13 Jun 2014, 14:14 (Ref:3419924)   #277
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Fair enough...
Old 13 Jun 2014, 14:38 (Ref:3419940)   #278
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post

Helmet Marko: "He is four-time world champion and if he can't sort out the car the easiest thing is the driver. He has to raise his game."

"Sebastian was complaining about having such a bad car, so there was a different approach, and on top of it Sebastian wants everything absolutely right."
what must he wrench the thing too now?
Old 13 Jun 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3420040)   #279
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Soap box opera.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 01:45 (Ref:3420168)   #280
321Go
Veteran

I guess this now means Ricciardo has done what Vettel hasn't managed to do.
Win in a not so perfect car.

Seems as though Vettel has enjoyed tailor-made cars that suited his driving style since 2010, which all had a very stable rear. This year they don't. Along comes the new kid, and with very limited real world testing, has probably proven right what most of the F1 drivers have been saying for a number of years now.
Old 14 Jun 2014, 07:56 (Ref:3420223)   #281
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I guess this now means Ricciardo has done what Vettel hasn't managed to do.
Win in a not so perfect car.

Seems as though Vettel has enjoyed tailor-made cars that suited his driving style since 2010, which all had a very stable rear. This year they don't. Along comes the new kid, and with very limited real world testing, has probably proven right what most of the F1 drivers have been saying for a number of years now.
What have 'most of the F1 drivers' been saying ? It wouldn't happen to be related to why they didn't get a look in for the WDC for 4 years running, would it
Old 15 Jun 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3421536)   #282
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Could they have been saying he was undisputed no 1, receiving preferential treatment in a superior car?

We've heard that before!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3422298)   #283
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo is F1's fastest driver of all time, just deal with it guys.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 12:27 (Ref:3422584)   #284
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Daniel Ricciardo is F1's fastest driver of all time, just deal with it guys.

Indeed !
Old 17 Jun 2014, 23:44 (Ref:3423272)   #285
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some insiders argue Dr Marko is punishing Vettel for a possible move to Ferrari.
Then, Ricciardo is now the privileged driver, in the current situation.
Old 18 Jun 2014, 05:37 (Ref:3423304)   #286
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

Indeed !
glad I'm not the only one that thinks that
Old 18 Jun 2014, 13:17 (Ref:3423424)   #287
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
Some insiders argue Dr Marko is punishing Vettel for a possible move to Ferrari.
Ya I think I mentioned that somewhere earlier in the thread. RBR are in existence purely and simply to punish Formula One drivers.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3424340)   #288
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems so, there are so many clever people suggesting this.
Old 20 Jun 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3424355)   #289
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Red Bull aren't sabotaging Vettel which would be wildly self destructive and counter intuitive but I wouldn't be too surprised if some of the flak he's getting now from within the team is a little more pronounced due to some of the team defying antics he's got up to in previous years.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 02:05 (Ref:3424433)   #290
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Seems as though Vettel has enjoyed tailor-made cars that suited his driving style since 2010, which all had a very stable rear.
Of course the cars were tailor made for Vettel, Schumacher had the same done for him at Ferrari. I think it was Berger who said that MS had his cars set up to be very pointy at the front and others could not drive them to their limit due to it. I always wondered if it was this issue that held him back from achieving more with MB, the cars not being tailor made to suit his style but more of a compromise for both drivers.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 02:18 (Ref:3424436)   #291
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Of course the cars were tailor made for Vettel, Schumacher had the same done for him at Ferrari. I think it was Berger who said that MS had his cars set up to be very pointy at the front and others could not drive them to their limit due to it. I always wondered if it was this issue that held him back from achieving more with MB, the cars not being tailor made to suit his style but more of a compromise for both drivers.
I think it is a pretty miserable situation when the formula sets the axle weights so the drivers and engineers can't build the cars they want!

The Merc that Schumacher had in his first year, apparently had terminal understeer due to its design that just could not be changed. Another case of run what you brung!

Still all this said it is very interesting to see how much drivers struggle with cars that don't suit their style, I think we are seeing this with Vettel and Ricciardo at the moment.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 03:08 (Ref:3424446)   #292
321Go
Veteran

So if Vettel is now struggling in a car that isn't tailor made for him and/or doesn't suit his driving style, then it seems as though his one and only win in '08 Monza was indeed luck/fluke. I mean.. the '08 STR wasn't tailor made for Vettel to suit his style.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 03:50 (Ref:3424453)   #293
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
So if Vettel is now struggling in a car that isn't tailor made for him and/or doesn't suit his driving style, then it seems as though his one and only win in '08 Monza was indeed luck/fluke. I mean.. the '08 STR wasn't tailor made for Vettel to suit his style.
Wasn't tailor made, but possibly suited anyway.

I just don't get how a slightly different car, oversteer / understeer affects drivers results so significantly.

It seems to lend credibility that a great deal of success in F1 is purely luck, if the car characteristics suit your style you'll do well, otherwise you'll probably struggle. There does not seem to be enough adjustability in the cars to suit individual styles.

Probably gives some credibility to how good Alonso is as he seems to be able to get on with pretty well anything.
Old 21 Jun 2014, 14:25 (Ref:3424609)   #294
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tenth or two to Dan most of the time today.
It wasn't much, but it was so tight from 5 to 15, this time it made a huge difference.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 01:19 (Ref:3424770)   #295
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
There does not seem to be enough adjustability in the cars to suit individual styles.

Probably gives some credibility to how good Alonso is as he seems to be able to get on with pretty well anything.
Maybe that should read "there is not enough adjustability in certain drivers to suit different cars.
Nando of course seems to be a very adjustable driver.
Old 22 Jun 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3424774)   #296
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Maybe that should read "there is not enough adjustability in certain drivers to suit different cars.
Nando of course seems to be a very adjustable driver.
I like this "adjustable drivers" so no arguments with you here.

But why are they so thrown by such apparently small variations?

Remember Peterson infuriating Chapman because whatever they did to the car Ronnie produced about the same lap time and was very vague about what was different?
Old 22 Jun 2014, 10:34 (Ref:3424892)   #297
321Go
Veteran

Is the love affair between Marko and Vettel turning sour? First Marko tells Vettel to raise his game. And for Australian CH10 he bagged Vettel once more. And praised Ricciardo.

Helmut Marko: "Sebastian is a perfectionist; he needs to get the car really right and if it is not right he cannot make it like Daniel does."

"On the other hand they both get the same material. If the car is not to his liking, Daniel seems to be more a driver who can handle it."
Old 22 Jun 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3425119)   #298
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When it was vettel and Webber, there was obvious favouritism by Helmut to Vettel since it was Helmut and the RB junior team that got Vettel to F1. Now that RB have two red bull junior programme drivers, Vettel doesn't seem to have the same "golden boy" image since both Vettel and Ricciardo are red bull through and through, if you get my drift.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 16:46 (Ref:3425484)   #299
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i suppose its all fair game as Seb enjoyed the benefits of Marko's tendency to jump on and off band wagons for the last several years.

or is this just a Red Bull trait/marketing. always hype up the new while taking a poo on the old...which again must be said is a fairly common trait for many sporting organizations.
Old 23 Jun 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3425494)   #300
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there has been a change in the relationship between Marko and Vettel. Vettel does well, Marko praises him, he does not so well, Marko criticizes him. Seems quite reasonable. Of course, some Webber fans in previous seasons thought that was favouritism towards Vettel but it was probably justified much like it is now adequate to say that Ricciardo is making more of the situation than Vettel is.