Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 23 Aug 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2273887)   #1
AUTOLEGEND
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
AUTOLEGEND should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a 24 hour race, hom many sets of rotors would a GT2 car go through?

I was reading about an R35 that raced at the Tokachi 24 hour race. Then i saw this pick of what im assuming are spare brake assemblies. It got me thinking, when i watch a 24 hour race on tv, i never see them working on brakes. Only after a crash when there is physical damage.

So.... how often do race cars like a Porsche gt3 rsr or even a lmp1 car go through brakes components? And how long do they usually last?

Old 23 Aug 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2274011)   #2
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Le Mans 24h many teams have one schedule brake change, but thats it. Of course you can always have bad luck and need a second brake change
Old 24 Aug 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2274166)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't remember hearing it mentioned on RLM that any team was having a standard brake change......
Old 24 Aug 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2274333)   #4
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
I can't remember hearing it mentioned on RLM that any team was having a standard brake change......
Not in the last years, but some time ago. So I would say one brake change isnt unnormal, but more than one looks like using the wrong brakes.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2274347)   #5
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger80
For Le Mans 24h many teams have one schedule brake change, but thats it. Of course you can always have bad luck and need a second brake change
Is that just a pad change, or pads & rotors?

I know most teams can change pads pretty quickly so doing those is not a huge deal.
Old 24 Aug 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2274639)   #6
AUTOLEGEND
Racer

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
AUTOLEGEND should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good additions.

Also, how long would steel rotors last vs carbon ones?

But i have the same question as Duff_44, what all is involved when a brake changed is necessary and how often does it happen?
Old 25 Aug 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2274958)   #7
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44
Is that just a pad change, or pads & rotors?

I know most teams can change pads pretty quickly so doing those is not a huge deal.
It is easier to change the calipers with brakes ( and fresh brake fuild) with rotors, then do pads separately.

Remember guys the brake fluid can only take so much, then needs to be replaced. and that is well before the brake pads are worn out.

Teams will have an extended pit stop will after the cameras stop rolling. Normally before dawn and the cameras start rolling for the final day. Change brakes, transmission and diff fluids. In some cases flush out oil with new oil.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 25 Aug 2008 at 12:21.
Old 25 Aug 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2275094)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm just wondering how long that kind of stop is going to take say Audi or Peugeot - being the anorak I am and having listened to the RLM commentary of this year's race through twice (), I can't remember any longer stop for such an eventuality - and the RLM pit commentary team werre pretty hot on getting reasons for any stop out of the ordinary.....
Old 25 Aug 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2275095)   #9
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I remember at sebring, this year or maybe last year audi had to change the brake discs, pads and it was mentioned that they never expect to have to change anything brake related so it wasnt made as easy as possible for the mechanics.

Also at this years le mans 24 hours one of the gt1 corvettes changed the right side calliper and disc, Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgTFs3rh50

Also gt2 Ferrari F430 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_7z-CJkBA

And not strictly GT related but still shows you how fast it can be done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppffC...eature=related

You must remember that the brakes are stupidly hot so it really is a tough job for the mechanics.

Last edited by tux; 25 Aug 2008 at 17:34.
Old 25 Aug 2008, 18:05 (Ref:2275109)   #10
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
I remember at sebring, this year or maybe last year audi had to change the brake discs, pads and it was mentioned that they never expect to have to change anything brake related so it wasnt made as easy as possible for the mechanics.

Also at this years le mans 24 hours one of the gt1 corvettes changed the right side calliper and disc, Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhgTFs3rh50

Also gt2 Ferrari F430 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh_7z-CJkBA

And not strictly GT related but still shows you how fast it can be done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppffC...eature=related

You must remember that the brakes are stupidly hot so it really is a tough job for the mechanics.
Good Video. Fuel, Four tires and Both front rotors in 2:30. Changing the calipers on takes a bit more. In most cases the rears do not need to be changed
Old 25 Aug 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2275119)   #11
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
was quite surprised that they only changed one side on the corvette tho. ive always been taught that if you change one side you should really change the other.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 10:26 (Ref:2276780)   #12
Lukin
Racer

Australia
Perth
Lukin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux
The other car (#2 Skaife/Kelly), did rotors and pads in 23s. The mechanics finished before the driver change and fuel!