Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Oct 2010, 17:53 (Ref:2775001)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Grand-Am 2011 Discussion

There has been a bit of news lately regarding 2011 plans for multiple teams, so I thought I would start a thread to keep tabs on everybody's plans for next season.

I have compiled a list of potential DP season entries with chassis/engine listed. Please add to this list and maybe start one for GT if you are so inclined.

Ganassi - Riley/BMW
Dyson - Lola/Ford
Gainsco - Riley/Chevy
Spirit of Daytona - Coyote/Chevy
Action Express - Riley/Porsche (2 cars)
Sun Trust - Dallara/Ford
AIM - Riley/Ford
Michael Shank - Dallara & Riley/Ford (2 cars)
Starworks - Riley/BMW (2 cars?)
Doran - Dallara/Ford
Krohn - Lola/Ford

So that looks like 14 possible entries for next season, and I'm sure there will some additions/subtractions periodically. Looking at the list it seems Riley isn't as popular of a chassis as it used to be.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 18:04 (Ref:2775006)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Looks pretty much spot on - 2nd Ganassi for Daytona, and there's a rumor about a 2nd Coyote being run by a team other than SoD... otherwise that seems to be about it unless something is coming out of leftfield.

GT:
1x Stevenson Camaros (looks like only 1 car now)
1x Autohaus Camaro
2x Turner Motorsports BMW M3
1x Magnus Porsche
1x Autometrics Porsche (Daytona only?)
1x Mitchum Porsche (Daytona only?)
1x Brumos Porsche
??? TRG (at least Daytona, but I expect 1 or 2 full season entries, Lally said they'll be at the VIR test)
1x LG Corvette
1x Whelen Corvette
1x Banner Corvette (might be in trouble with Edwards leaving etc. alternatively might turn into a Camaro)
3x Sahlen's Mazda
3x SpeedSource Mazda (might be two... or four)
1x Racer's Edge Mazda
2x Dempsey Racing Mazda (just one car entered for VIR)
1x TPN/Blackforest Mustang (semi-works entry)
??x Audi R8 (APR?? Vici?? United Autosports??)
??x Ferrari 430/458

Probably 20 for the full season, give or take one or two - more for Daytona.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 19:44 (Ref:2775063)   #3
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have my doubts about Krohn racing in Grand Am.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2775065)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I think you'll find another manufacturer in GT as well.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 20:20 (Ref:2775081)   #5
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I think you'll find another manufacturer in GT as well.
another prep 1 or prep 2?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2775088)   #6
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Whatever the unibody chassis is.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2775093)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Tony Dowe's Ferrari?
Old 14 Oct 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2775120)   #8
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would be nice. Tony's a great guy and a seasoned racer. It would also make the Leighton Reese Corvette even less likely.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2775145)   #9
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Suntrust has switched from Ford to Chevrolet as an engine supplier, and Ford will be running Mustangs in GT.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 02:40 (Ref:2775189)   #10
johncho
Rookie

johncho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt starworks will be running BMW engines.
Old 15 Oct 2010, 13:30 (Ref:2775360)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncho View Post
I doubt starworks will be running BMW engines.
why do you say that?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 17:16 (Ref:2775481)   #12
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With all the success Ganassi had this past year, it is sort of surprising that there will not be more entries with BMW engines in DP Class. The big winner in DP seems to be Ford engines which will be in more than half the entries!

DK
Old 15 Oct 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2775499)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I was just browsing the GA website and found this little bit about the cars that are eligible in the GT category:

"Among those cars eligible for competition in the Rolex Series GT class are the Porsche GT3, Chevrolet Camaro, BMW M3 and M6, Pontiac GTO.R, Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z, Ferrari 430C, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang, Infiniti G35, Audi R8, Jaguar XK and Mercedes SLS."

So I guess they might be expecting a Mercedes SLS along with Audi R8? And could this be what Krohn will be racing in 2011? Also, has the Infiniti or Jag raced before?
Old 15 Oct 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2775513)   #14
Speed-King
Veteran

The Infiniti raced once in the 2006 or 2007 24hours...

And that's mostly a list of theoretically elegible cars, a look at the GT-rulebook shows for which cars GA has actually bothered so far to create a set of specs...

The 2011 rulebook should be available in the next months, though. It will be interesting to see what changes there are in there...
Old 15 Oct 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2775583)   #15
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was just browsing the GA website and found this little bit about the cars that are eligible in the GT category:

"Among those cars eligible for competition in the Rolex Series GT class are the Porsche GT3, Chevrolet Camaro, BMW M3 and M6, Pontiac GTO.R, Mazda RX-8, Nissan 350Z, Ferrari 430C, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang, Infiniti G35, Audi R8, Jaguar XK and Mercedes SLS."

So I guess they might be expecting a Mercedes SLS along with Audi R8? And could this be what Krohn will be racing in 2011? Also, has the Infiniti or Jag raced before?
From Dave Spitzer:

Quote:
Ferrari 458

Discussions are underway to introduce a version of this car for Rolex GT competition. Again, significant attention will be paid to the engine and electronics to be sure it is a fair entry.

Other GT3 cars – Mercedes, BMW, etc.

We are in early discussions with these brands to include versions of their GT3 cars in Rolex GT also. If you are interested in details, please let us know. Similar principles will be followed as with the Audi R8.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 00:09 (Ref:2775608)   #16
johncho
Rookie

johncho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BMW DP engine is kept to very tight rules by GA due to the overall strength of Ganassi. so it is hard for a pro-am team like starworks to play second fiddle to Ganassi, with the same engine. We saw it this year when all BMW's got a weight penalty + engine downgrade, after Ganassi's engine was confiscated and more importantly, was pulling away in the points.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 00:33 (Ref:2775615)   #17
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The Infiniti raced once in the 2006 or 2007 24hours...
Anyone know where I can find some pics of this car?

It would be quite interesting to see a number of GT3 cars in GT (if it actually happens) although the R8 is more of a sure thing atm.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2775680)   #18
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Anyone know where I can find some pics of this car?
The team's website still exists: http://www.g35gt.com/
Old 17 Oct 2010, 03:06 (Ref:2775977)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
The team's website still exists: http://www.g35gt.com/
Thanks! Too bad that car isnt running, it'd be a good addition to the class.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2776403)   #20
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at this entry list and some potential cars coming soon, Grand AM may not be in as bad shape as people thought. Truthfully, I only watch one race of this series per year, Daytona 24 hours, but it would be great to have this series stick around.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2776524)   #21
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_N_09 View Post
Looking at this entry list and some potential cars coming soon, Grand AM may not be in as bad shape as people thought. Truthfully, I only watch one race of this series per year, Daytona 24 hours, but it would be great to have this series stick around.
Keeping in mind, it isn't an entry list, rather a speculation list... which as always can be a little optimistic at this time of year.
Old 18 Oct 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2776638)   #22
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2011 schedule released.

Quote:
2011 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Schedule

1: Jan. 29-30 Rolex 24 At Daytona Daytona International Speedway, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2: March 5 Grand Prix of Miami Homestead-Miami Speedway, Homestead, Fla.
3: April 9 Porsche 250 Barber Motorsports Park, Birmingham, Ala.
4: May 14 Bosch Engineering 250 Virginia International Raceway, Danville, Va.
5: May 30 Memorial Day Classic Lime Rock Park, Lakeville, Ct.
6: June 4 Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, N.Y.
7: June 25 Road America Elkhart Lake, Wis.
8: July 9 Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca Monterey, Calif.
9: July 24 New Jersey 250 New Jersey Motorsports Park, Millville, N.J.
10: Aug. 13 Crown Royal 200 Watkins Glen International, Watkins Glen, N.Y.
11: Aug. 20 Montreal 200 Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
12: Sept. 17 EMCO Gears Classic Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Lexington, Ohio
Old 18 Oct 2010, 14:02 (Ref:2776676)   #23
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
It is interesting to see that GA dropped Miller from their schedule as well. I think my favorite part of that list of events is that most of them have the race distance in the name of the event! "New Jersey 250" "Sahlens Six Hours of the Glen" "Porsche 250".

Speaking of that last one, I wonder what kind of $ Porsche has to fork up to sponsor an event?
Old 18 Oct 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2776736)   #24
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The Paul Revere 250 at Daytona on Independence Day weekend has been dropped too. That's very surprising to me.

Laguna Seca on July will be hot!
Old 18 Oct 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2776776)   #25
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Won't the Laguna Seca round be only a couple weeks away from Motogp? Last time at Laguna seca, they drew flies instead of a crowd, and the new date surely won't help, although I guess they wanted a race in California. Not at all suprised about the 'loss' of Miller Motorsports Park but Grand Am dropping the Paul Revere 250 is quite suprising and dissapointing. Whatever happened to IMS 'being on' for 2011?, but I guess that was just another typical Murphy rumour that didn't happen, just like Mid Ohio, Road America and Lime Rock being dropped from ALMS.