Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 Jan 2012, 23:49 (Ref:3015962)   #1
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 24 Hours of Daytona

Could you please advise which of the following fourteen DPs on the 24 Hours of Daytona entry list are built to G3 specifications? And what are the actuall cars (chasis+engine) hidden under "Corvette DP" bodywork?

01 Chip Ganassi Racing - BMW / Riley
02 Chip Ganassi Racing - BMW / Riley
2 Starworks Motorsport - Ford / Riley
5 Action Express Racing - Corvette DP
6 Michael Shank Racing - Ford / Riley
8 Starworks Motorsport - Ford / Riley
9 Action Express Racing - Corvette DP
10 SunTrust Racing - Corvette DP
50 Predator/Alegra - BMW / Riley
60 Michael Shank Racing - Ford / Riley
76 Krohn Racing - Ford / Lola
77 Doran Racing - Ford / Dallara
90 Spirit of Daytona - Corvette DP
99 Bob Stallings Racing - Corvette DP

The "most anticipated sports car race in the history of North American motorsports", or simply the 50th edition of 24 Hours of Daytona, starts at 3:30 PM ET on Saturday, and I guess that it deserves a dedicated thread
Old 23 Jan 2012, 23:54 (Ref:3015964)   #2
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe both of the Ganassi cars, one of the Shank cars, and one of the Starworks cars are in new Riley DPG3 bodywork. Another Shank car might have it too but I seem to remember an article saying only one would?

Stallings, Suntrust, Spirit of Daytona, and both Action Express cars are in new Corvette DPG3 bodywork.

Edit: The Action Express and Spirit of Daytona cars are Coyote chassis, the Suntrust is a Dallara still, and I think the Stallings is still a Riley, but I'm not sure on that one.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 23:59 (Ref:3015965)   #3
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
The "most anticipated sports car race in the history of North American motorsports", or simply the 50th edition of 24 Hours of Daytona, starts at 3:30 PM ET on Saturday, and I guess that it deserves a dedicated thread
Most anticipated....with marketing like that you are bound to push away the dedicated sportscar fans, but I believe their success has been to forget about those sorts of people anyway.

Actually, I will watch this only because of the GT race. I have less problem then most with tube framed cars.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 00:12 (Ref:3015970)   #4
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is the first Daytona (that I have been into sportscar racing for) that I'm actually really looking forward to.

I don't care much for the DPs really, but after watching some of the races last year I'm hoping for some good luck for Spirit of Daytona. They had a pretty rotten season last year, and I like Antonio Garcia and Richard Westbrook so I'm hoping to see some luck for them. I also like the Taylors so I'll be watching to see how they go.

I too don't mind the tube frame cars as much as some. As long as the cars are fun to watch I can look past it. The GT battle is the one that I have more interest in.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3015983)   #5
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That slogan is such a joke but I'll let it pass... it's still gonna be million times better than that god awful 24-hour clown parade we had about a week ago!

Small DP field again but at least with semi-pretty cars now! In terms of GTs and especially driver lineups it's absolutely superb entry all the way, should be a pretty entertaining race too with those traditional Nascar-cautions after every 5 minutes

I'll be catching the Eurosport2 coverage + maybe some Speed streaming as well, expecting enjoyable start to the season again. Remember to check the RLM preview on tuesday night!

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Jan 2012 at 01:03.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3015988)   #6
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The haulers unload in two days.

01 Chip Ganassi Racing - BMW / Riley (DPG3 generic Riley)
02 Chip Ganassi Racing - BMW / Riley (DPG3 generic Riley)
2 Starworks Motorsport - Ford / Riley
5 Action Express Racing - Corvette DP (DPG3 Corvette Coyote)
6 Michael Shank Racing - Ford / Riley (DPG2 Riley)
8 Starworks Motorsport - Ford / Riley
9 Action Express Racing - Corvette DP (DPG3 Corvette Coyote)
10 SunTrust Racing - Corvette DP (DPG3 Corvette-bodied Dallara)
50 Predator/Alegra - BMW / Riley (DPG2 Riley)
60 Michael Shank Racing - Ford / Riley (DPG3 generic Riley)
76 Krohn Racing - Ford / Lola (DPG2 Lola)
77 Doran Racing - Ford / Dallara (DPG2 Dallara)
90 Spirit of Daytona - Corvette DP (DPG3 Corvette Coyote)
99 Bob Stallings Racing - Corvette DP (DPG3 Corvette-bodied Riley)

One of the Starworks cars is a DPG3 generic Riley, and I think it is #8 but I don't know for sure.

Chris
Old 24 Jan 2012, 01:19 (Ref:3015992)   #7
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
#8 is a new DP3. Spotter Guide out soon
Old 24 Jan 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3015995)   #8
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
The "most anticipated sports car race in the history of North American motorsports", or simply the 50th edition of 24 Hours of Daytona
Seriously? I'm guessing the crack is flowing freely again in Daytona Beach.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 01:40 (Ref:3015998)   #9
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late breaking news

Here is a LINK to the weather for a `rolling 10 days'. Also useful if one is following the 500.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 02:16 (Ref:3016003)   #10
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Seriously? I'm guessing the crack is flowing freely again in Daytona Beach.
I believe it's a line from the SPEED ads for their coverage of the race; you can hardly expect it to sound like a post from this forum about the series, and if it were to someone should be fired. And anyway, tickets, parking/camping and media credentials are reportedly running short, so someone has been doing a good promoting it.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3016019)   #11
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Wait, is that the whole DP field? 15 cars?

Haven't had the time to look into Daytona yet but that seems kind of slim.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3016021)   #12
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, it's not the largest grid. There were some concerns about he DPG3 balance of performanceto the old cars. Next year I'd anticipate more entries unless further question marks rise over entrants' heads about the Turbos.

However good DP will be, GT is three times bigger and in my opinion ten times better racing.

Chris
Old 24 Jan 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3016022)   #13
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The most anticipated sportscar race in the history of North American motorsports since Petit Le Mans 2011, more like. Congrats to GARRA.

This is going to be a decent one, no doubt, but I can't really say it is a million miles above previous versions. The DP race is a bit of a snore for me to be honest, I don't see an obvious underdog of character to cheer for like Brundle in the UA/Shank Riley last year. Car count in DP is low but most of the loss is at the dull end of the field, I surmise. Lots of potential in GT with the Canuck in me pulling for Hinchcliffe in the 70, the novelty-lover in me going for the Ferraris and the classicist hoping Porsche pulls the rabbit out of the hat with one of its many hands. Still, the GT cars themselves bore me, like a hobbled version of a halfway-decent formula (GT3). One of these years a halfway pukka 997 GT3R will run (in my dreams) and we'll nearly have recovered GT cars as serious as 10 years ago!
Old 24 Jan 2012, 07:33 (Ref:3016038)   #14
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
The Rolex 24 at Daytona Spotter Guide, presented by SPEED.com and supported by Ten-Tenths.com (and Grant, who hosts and built the website) is now available to download.

http://www.spotterguides.com/grand-am-2012/

As you will see, a few liveries you wont have seen before....

Unfortunately, I am away for the rest of the week, so unlike previous guides, no updates until then, but hope you find it useful
Old 24 Jan 2012, 08:39 (Ref:3016054)   #15
tbz
Racer

tbz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excellent job as always @andy
Old 24 Jan 2012, 09:01 (Ref:3016066)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was getting quite excited looking at Andy's guide but then realised that it's this weekend while I'm in Belgium
Old 24 Jan 2012, 09:18 (Ref:3016074)   #17
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
....and i have a threat of a tropical cyclone (sitting in the bay of Mozambique) that could hit the capital this week end.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3016187)   #18
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
The Rolex 24 at Daytona Spotter Guide, presented by SPEED.com and supported by Ten-Tenths.com (and Grant, who hosts and built the website) is now available to download.

http://www.spotterguides.com/grand-am-2012/

As you will see, a few liveries you wont have seen before....

Unfortunately, I am away for the rest of the week, so unlike previous guides, no updates until then, but hope you find it useful
Another top notch job on the guide Andy, Thanks! I am glad to see some teams only using 3 drivers for the race. Especially Risi, it shows what kind of effort they are putting forth.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3016230)   #19
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looking forward to this because it's one of only two major endurance races a year that I can actually "gasp" watch on television live. DP should be okay, probably better than AudiMP1 this year, but I'll certainly be more focused on the GT race. Hopefully the MOMO NGT 26 wins in GT, but I can count 21 cars that have a real chance of victory in that class.

Also, for anyone going, please be advised the infield should be packed this year (first time I can remember 4 day supertickets have sold out) and parking will be a pain.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3016243)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good stuff as always, andy_b.

All the rhetoric about the GA and a small proto grid aside, I always look forward to this one. Being the "opening" event for my racing calender, I enjoy "following" this event every year. Not the greatest of roval circuits, but it's Daytona! The GT race is going to be awesome!

I couldn't help feeling a little sad this morning, while looking at the Spotters Guide, seeing all the names from many different backgrounds of motorracing entered in this event; I wondered if "Lion Heart" would've found a ride somewhere....
Old 24 Jan 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3016251)   #21
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic work on the spotters guide as usual Andy, although i noticed you missed Westbrook out in the Spirit of Daytona
Old 24 Jan 2012, 16:18 (Ref:3016257)   #22
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will watch some of this. want time is the green flag (so I can hop to Motors TV or Eurosport 2) in GMT please (or CET)
Old 24 Jan 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3016265)   #23
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should I assume that all the Corvette-bodied DPs are powered by Chevrolet? No Porsche engines this year?

5 Action Express Racing - ? / Coyote-Corvette G3
9 Action Express Racing - ? / Coyote-Corvette G3
10 SunTrust Racing - ? / Dallara-Corvette G3
90 Spirit of Daytona - ? / Coyote-Corvette G3
99 Bob Stallings Racing - ? / Riley-Corvette G3

I really like the look of the generic G3 Riley, nice to have as many as four of them

01 Chip Ganassi Racing - BMW / Riley G3
02 Chip Ganassi Racing - BMW / Riley G3
8 Starworks Motorsport - Ford / Riley G3
60 Michael Shank Racing - Ford / Riley G3

2 Starworks Motorsport - Ford / Riley G2
6 Michael Shank Racing - Ford / Riley G2
50 Predator/Alegra - BMW / Riley G2
76 Krohn Racing - Ford / Lola G2
77 Doran Racing - Ford / Dallara G2
Old 24 Jan 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3016269)   #24
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Looking at how long it has took for the first generation DPs to become reliable I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the old cars win.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 17:12 (Ref:3016280)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
And anyway, tickets, parking/camping and media credentials are reportedly running short, so someone has been doing a good promoting it.
Ahhhhh... Ahhhhhh... Ahhhhh... Bull****! Excuse me... must be allergies.

Hey, it's a race and I'm gonna watch it!