Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 7 Apr 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3389948)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Renault 3.5 Monza - Round 1

time for the world series of Reanult cars to come out and play, race one starts at 3.00pm and might be live on eurosport on Saturday but there is something in the way. at least its not flipping tennis or flipping snooker, it the WTCC cars that could be the issue this time. race two looks like its delayed at 3.00pm on Sunday but once again its depends on fellow singer seater AutoGP. this is rare motorsport could overrun motorsport
Old 8 Apr 2014, 07:35 (Ref:3390070)   #2
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlin will miss first round. And four seats still open...

Not good signs...
Old 8 Apr 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3390217)   #3
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get this. It's a bit smelly this whole Carlin thing. How come all the other teams are finding drivers and suddenly Carlin can't? They had their GP2 drivers signed months ago. There is something going on behind the scenes or Carlin believe they're so super uber great, that they need only championship winning drivers with huge budgets like Signature did some time ago in F3ES.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3390251)   #4
Formulahistory
Veteran

I think Carlin don't want a year as 2013 with being out of the top ten. I think they searched for really good drivers and they couldn't get them...
Old 8 Apr 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3390255)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's formula renault 3.5 NOT wsr. world series by renault is the EVENT. formula renault 3.5 is the SERIES.

right now i've got that off my chest...

the carlin thing is very interesting isn't it? clearly it's not just what we see on the surface. down to three seats now merhi is joining up though

(weird step from him. presumably he was given an offer he couldn't refuse?)
Old 8 Apr 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3390321)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV coverage is on BTsport channel !-
Old 8 Apr 2014, 20:07 (Ref:3390328)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
presumably he was given an offer he couldn't refuse?)
Perhaps it was his only offer? (The reason I suggest this, is because, as you say, it is an odd move)
Old 9 Apr 2014, 09:02 (Ref:3390461)   #8
skells22
Veteran

I think BT sports has done somethng wrong, i need to know want time race 2 starts as it says highlights of race 2 when we do not know the time of race 2
Old 9 Apr 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3390474)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
the actual session times are:

friday
10.05-10.55 - test 1
13.20-14.10 - test 2

saturday
11.30-12.00 - qualifying 1
16.15-16.58 - race 1

sunday
9.00-9.30 - qualifying 2
12.30-13.13 - race 2

i suggest you watch television at those times and see if it's on. tom gaymor said on twitter it would be live on british eurosport, fwiw.
Old 9 Apr 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3390481)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the actual session times are:

friday
10.05-10.55 - test 1
13.20-14.10 - test 2

saturday
11.30-12.00 - qualifying 1
16.15-16.58 - race 1

sunday
9.00-9.30 - qualifying 2
12.30-13.13 - race 2

i suggest you watch television at those times and see if it's on. tom gaymor said on twitter it would be live on british eurosport, fwiw.

Woah late to the party here, much more work to do than last month!

Thanks bella

Merhi is definitely a good driver addition to the entry and I'm keen to see how he fares against some of the guys who've had much more seat time.

I'm looking forward to his much more than GP2 over the last few seasons as I always get the feeling that what you see happening is the real form as opposed to some random lottery (ironically like this series used to suffer from but doesn't anymore!).

All things being equal I think this is either Sorensen's or Sainz' series to lose. Sorensen still has the talent but he nedds a more consistent set up or balance this year?

Sainz looked mega on occasions last year and just needs to calm down a bit and keep that raw pace over the race entirety. I like his style as he's got car control to spare.

Rowland looks like a rookie to be reckoned with?

The Sirotkin, Stevens, Nato or even Melker might be my other title punts?
Old 9 Apr 2014, 23:28 (Ref:3390674)   #11
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Woah late to the party here, much more work to do than last month!

Thanks bella

Merhi is definitely a good driver addition to the entry and I'm keen to see how he fares against some of the guys who've had much more seat time.

I'm looking forward to his much more than GP2 over the last few seasons as I always get the feeling that what you see happening is the real form as opposed to some random lottery (ironically like this series used to suffer from but doesn't anymore!).

All things being equal I think this is either Sorensen's or Sainz' series to lose. Sorensen still has the talent but he nedds a more consistent set up or balance this year?

Sainz looked mega on occasions last year and just needs to calm down a bit and keep that raw pace over the race entirety. I like his style as he's got car control to spare.

Rowland looks like a rookie to be reckoned with?

The Sirotkin, Stevens, Nato or even Melker might be my other title punts?
you forgot gasly, he is also mega quick.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 21:18 (Ref:3390895)   #12
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We are almost in Friday and Tech 1, ISR, Zeta and Comtec are still without 2nd drivers. Not good.
Old 10 Apr 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3390906)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Could be a few surprising last minute season entries or one-off deals?
Old 10 Apr 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3390911)   #14
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well it seems Zeta are running Roman Mavlanov, so that's one seat filled.

Judging from testing, either Nigel Melker or Tio Ellinas could end up at either Tech 1 or ISR as I see Melker certainly tested for both. As for the second Comtec machine, it only got a run out for Liam Venter in the first test otherwise it hasn't turned a wheel.

It could well be a case of whoever is kicking about Monza with their kit-bag and a suitcase full of Euros gets a go!
Old 11 Apr 2014, 00:15 (Ref:3390927)   #15
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
el_cat, that's why I suggested them as drivers in the FR 3.5 predictions thread.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3391239)   #16
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, in the end no-one turned up, Zeta apart. Certainly a black eye for Renault Sport. With the benefit of hindsight targeting GP2 head on was a big, big mistake.
Old 11 Apr 2014, 22:07 (Ref:3391287)   #17
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I see where you're coming from, but the cream definitely rises to the top in GP2 over the course of the season. What you see as a lottery, I see as complexity in setting up cars and managing tyres over the course of a race distance. Given what F1 is now, this is essential for a feeder series, and I don't quite think 3.5 can really offer that.

I just hope the racing is a bit more like 2012; last year was a bit processional and dull for my liking. I know people will think the high tyre deg of GP2 makes the racing impure, but it's gripping. Motorsport is in the entertainment business at the end of the day, and that doesn't square with the processions that we've seen in 3.5 and F3 lately. Even with a not great driver lineup this year, I am confident that 3.5 can deliver though. Sainz always makes things tasty at the very least!
Old 12 Apr 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3391434)   #18
kotkot
Racer

Hungary
Budapest
kotkot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A not great lineup? Because Ferra... Marciello chose GP2?

Sainz, Sirotkin, Rowland and Gasly are massive talents without a doubt. Norman Nato has never been really good as a rookie in his career, his second seasons show massive improvement from him. Ghiotto was one of the best Eurocup FR2.0 champions last year, Buller has always been good, anywhere he races, Sorensen and Stevens are established, fast driver with F1 connections, Laine and Stockinger both proved themselves in GP3 two years ago, Vaxiviere is a French F4 champion, preceded by a certain Stoffel Vandoorne, Merhi is an F3 champ, Jaafar was British F3 runner-up behind Jack Harvey. Visser is also talented, even if her move to FR3.5 is a too big step.

I have just listed 15 driver out of 21 drivers. The field is great. Maybe the hyped, slightly overrated Marciello and FR3.5 graduate Vandoorne is now in GP2, but in-depth Formula Renault 3.5 is just as good as GP2.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3391453)   #19
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't agree. None of these drivers are a step away from F1, with the exception of perhaps Sainz and Sirotkin. But both have a lot to prove this year - Sainz needs to stop getting involved in silly accidents and Sirotkin needs to deliver a consistent season at the front. The Eurocup graduates don't look to be in the same league as Frijns or Vandoorne either. Buller, Sorensen, Stevens, Laine, Jaafar, Stockinger haven't shown consistency in junior formulae and their results to date don't suggest that they have a long term future in single seater racing. If they were in the GP2 field they would be labelled as journeymen by many on here.

It is a shame Ferrari chose GP2 for Lello, because he looked mega in pre-season testing in the 3.5 car.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3391471)   #20
skells22
Veteran

big crash just happen, i wonder who will be blame in this flip
Old 12 Apr 2014, 15:21 (Ref:3391483)   #21
Formulahistory
Veteran

we have just 21 cars in Monza - is that a negative record?

and just one guy who could win a race in the past (Sörensen), must also be a negative record?
Old 12 Apr 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3391545)   #22
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I´m really happy with Roberto Merhi´s result. A good position in QF and a 2nd wasn´t expected after a not very bright testing season.
Old 12 Apr 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3391634)   #23
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Disappointing to see the small grid and I have to agree with p-matt, the quality of drivers is not great.

For example Will Buller, he is average at best, his years in F3 never came to anything special and I haven't seen anything which proves his worth in FR 3.5.

He finished fourth at Monza today, which on paper doesn't look bad, but then you have to remember he has six years of car racing behind him...and he is competing against drivers with significantly less experience!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 00:50 (Ref:3391749)   #24
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
big crash just happen, i wonder who will be blame in this flip
Definitely Ja'fa (cree!), and the stewards have agreed.

However he himself thinks he should be allowed to move into the car that's got an overlap alongside him and expects it to move out of his way, based on his press statement.
I know drivers have to have a degree of self confidence to get them to the top, but the way he puts it borders on the delusional!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3391913)   #25
skells22
Veteran

at least the 2nd race was a lot cleaner and thank you BT sport for showing it live. i will not spoil the result due to people that did not have BT sport and are waiting for the Eurospot UK TV to show the race