Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Apr 2024, 12:26 (Ref:4203838)   #2726
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see this all work out for Bobby , to be sticking it top 10 in his first day in RWD is mightily impressive.

Just got to hope he can get a big sponsor on board now to make it all work financially.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 12:34 (Ref:4203839)   #2727
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's quite experienced in RWD through his coaching in Ferrari and Radical racing, so that should help.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 12:52 (Ref:4203842)   #2728
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
He's quite experienced in RWD through his coaching in Ferrari and Radical racing, so that should help.

That I didn’t know, so even more reason to sign him up
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:53 (Ref:4203854)   #2729
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another good Autosport article. Understandably (given BT is talented and seems a genuinely nice guy) it seems Autosport and Marcus Simmons are really trying to promote him.

It seems that despite no Hybrid (therefore being about 30bhp down on the other BMWs) he managed a 48.3secs lap and only had 1 set of Goodyear slicks for performance runs.

In the wet early running (the first hour) he managed a 53.50secs on his first run, compared to the fastest BMW of Jake Hill on 53.363secs.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/thompson-stakes-claim-for-full-time-btcc-seat-with-first-bmw-test/10594844/
Old 4 Apr 2024, 13:59 (Ref:4203855)   #2730
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
It seems that despite no Hybrid (therefore being about 30bhp down on the other BMWs) he managed a 48.3secs lap
If he had no hybrid was he carrying ballast of equivalent weight to the hybrid system? If not then obviously he'd be lighter than the other cars - so the weight saving would help the lap times. As always with testing it's hard to know just how people stack up against each other as we don't have all of the information!
Old 4 Apr 2024, 14:14 (Ref:4203857)   #2731
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
If he had no hybrid was he carrying ballast of equivalent weight to the hybrid system? If not then obviously he'd be lighter than the other cars - so the weight saving would help the lap times. As always with testing it's hard to know just how people stack up against each other as we don't have all of the information!
Absolutely! From looking at the timing on TSL, it seemed people were running to very different plans. I don't think that hybrid point was clarified in the Autosport article - if the car was lighter then it would flatter the times.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 14:27 (Ref:4203858)   #2732
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post

It would seem logical, at least to me, that if WSR were unsure whether they would running the fourth car, then it would seem sensible to have not have yet had the hybrid element returned to them as that might be an unnecessary expense without any benefit.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 14:30 (Ref:4203859)   #2733
Pit Lane Lurker
Rookie

Pit Lane Lurker has been held in scrutiny for further testing
With all the respect in the world to Bobby and I don’t mean this as any sort of slight on him - but I’d take all the times from yesterday with a relative pinch of salt.

Far too many variables in play to make any real sense of the numbers.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 16:50 (Ref:4203867)   #2734
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Another good Autosport article. Understandably (given BT is talented and seems a genuinely nice guy) it seems Autosport and Marcus Simmons are really trying to promote him.

It seems that despite no Hybrid (therefore being about 30bhp down on the other BMWs) he managed a 48.3secs lap and only had 1 set of Goodyear slicks for performance runs.

In the wet early running (the first hour) he managed a 53.50secs on his first run, compared to the fastest BMW of Jake Hill on 53.363secs.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/thompson-stakes-claim-for-full-time-btcc-seat-with-first-bmw-test/10594844/

Well if the picture in Autosport was from a fast lap it would have been deleted for track limits!
Old 4 Apr 2024, 18:01 (Ref:4203870)   #2735
TinTopGrumpy
Rookie

TinTopGrumpy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The important thing is that WSR have the data so they can make comparisons and pass that onto to anyone who might have an interest in his future which I would think was the point of the day.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 18:08 (Ref:4203871)   #2736
MarcusH26
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTopGrumpy View Post
The important thing is that WSR have the data so they can make comparisons and pass that onto to anyone who might have an interest in his future which I would think was the point of the day.
This is how I see it , it's basically giving him the data to put the last pieces of the puzzle together if he can. Think the big push from the main BTCC account on socials was very deliberately targeted towards that too.

Will be interesting to see if he's up at Croft next week.

Last edited by MarcusH26; 4 Apr 2024 at 18:27.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 18:31 (Ref:4203874)   #2737
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see DeLeon has been out testing at Snetterton today. In a VW Golf.
Old 4 Apr 2024, 18:40 (Ref:4203875)   #2738
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
This is how I see it , it's basically giving him the data to put the last pieces of the puzzle together if he can. Think the big push from the main BTCC account on socials was very deliberately targeted towards that too.

Will be interesting to see if he's up at Croft next week.
In the absence of any other names popping up for that seat, I assume (hope) they’re pretty confident he’ll be at least starting the season. Either that or he’s their only option at this point!
Old 5 Apr 2024, 05:14 (Ref:4203908)   #2739
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
In the absence of any other names popping up for that seat, I assume (hope) they’re pretty confident he’ll be at least starting the season. Either that or he’s their only option at this point!
Strange when a few months ago Dick Bennets was crowing about having a choice of 4 drivers for the seat
Old 5 Apr 2024, 07:28 (Ref:4203913)   #2740
MarcusH26
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Strange when a few months ago Dick Bennets was crowing about having a choice of 4 drivers for the seat
I can only assume it's budget related and drivers he was targeting thought the cost of the seat was too much Vs elsewhere. Hence why we're now left with either Thompson finds the budget for the whole seat or some kind of split seat scenario.
Old 5 Apr 2024, 09:39 (Ref:4203930)   #2741
Protonman
Rookie

Protonman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusH26 View Post
I can only assume it's budget related and drivers he was targeting thought the cost of the seat was too much Vs elsewhere. Hence why we're now left with either Thompson finds the budget for the whole seat or some kind of split seat scenario.
It’s now well documented that at least 3 drivers were Watson Collard and probably Moffat . Each chose other options and have documented their reasons for them . Then there are those siting sponsor clashes or who turned out not to have funding anyway . Now it’s either start with Thompson and see what happens, wait for another to emerge or stand down the car . If another emerges that will probably lead to the shared seat syndrome that is proposed . If the car is stood down however it seems both a massive waste of all that development time and a big shame given the current numbers . That’s one very quick car and guaranteed to give the driver in it a chance at advancement.
Old 5 Apr 2024, 10:16 (Ref:4203932)   #2742
MarcusH26
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protonman View Post
It’s now well documented that at least 3 drivers were Watson Collard and probably Moffat . Each chose other options and have documented their reasons for them . Then there are those siting sponsor clashes or who turned out not to have funding anyway . Now it’s either start with Thompson and see what happens, wait for another to emerge or stand down the car . If another emerges that will probably lead to the shared seat syndrome that is proposed . If the car is stood down however it seems both a massive waste of all that development time and a big shame given the current numbers . That’s one very quick car and guaranteed to give the driver in it a chance at advancement.
Yeah I think the fourth was potentially Adam Smalley and the Duckhams sponsorship didn't work for BMW given they have " BMW Original Oil" on the car this year I can understand why that didn't work out.

I do hope a deal can be struck for Thompson, adding a genuinely quick driver fourth car would be a big plus for WSR especially with the new lineup at Speedworks likely to be joining the battle at the front.

I think standing down entirely is very very much the last resort.
Old 5 Apr 2024, 10:47 (Ref:4203935)   #2743
cameronpoe
Rookie

cameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcameronpoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Budget for season at WSR circa £600-700K plus you may need some extra for Crash damage so your looking at £50K + a weekend , the cars are very hard to run I have seen it first hand so unless there is a budget it will make financial sense to park the car , but like everyone I hope it does get out , Thompson is decent , he needs to calm down in the races which he will at WSR and then he will get some good results , a good addition to what is probably the one of the strongest grids in any motorsport series world wide and if you don’t agree when I get a minute I will explain how and why I can back up the statement..
Old 5 Apr 2024, 11:20 (Ref:4203936)   #2744
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpoe View Post
Budget for season at WSR circa £600-700K plus you may need some extra for Crash damage so your looking at £50K + a weekend , the cars are very hard to run I have seen it first hand so unless there is a budget it will make financial sense to park the car , but like everyone I hope it does get out , Thompson is decent , he needs to calm down in the races which he will at WSR and then he will get some good results , a good addition to what is probably the one of the strongest grids in any motorsport series world wide and if you don’t agree when I get a minute I will explain how and why I can back up the statement..
Not sure I'd agree that Thompson needs to calm down in the races, he (and Lloyd) dragged that Cupra into positions it probably shouldn't have been in.
Old 5 Apr 2024, 11:43 (Ref:4203937)   #2745
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Not sure I'd agree that Thompson needs to calm down in the races, he (and Lloyd) dragged that Cupra into positions it probably shouldn't have been in.
I’m just about his biggest defender, but I can recall a few minor skirmishes (as does every driver) perhaps knowing he had to throw and risk everything for a good result in the Cupra. As said above, he can afford to be slightly more patient in the BMW knowing he’s got the car to rack up the points / podiums every round and the results will come.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 11:37 (Ref:4204054)   #2746
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going to be strange not to see the Honda brand on a BTCC grid. Simoni, Menu & Winkelhock made up the podium the last time there wasn't one somewhere amongst the field.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 11:48 (Ref:4204055)   #2747
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Going to be strange not to see the Honda brand on a BTCC grid. Simoni, Menu & Winkelhock made up the podium the last time there wasn't one somewhere amongst the field.
2001 Hondas were limited to production class entries, nothing in the BTC spec at least. But I think it has to be 1994 without a single Honda in some shape or form?
Old 7 Apr 2024, 13:19 (Ref:4204060)   #2748
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read this, Sutton's got a busy year ahead with an expanded simracing business alongside his fifth-title-chasing dream.

https://www.overtake.gg/news/why-a-f...business.1984/
Old 7 Apr 2024, 15:08 (Ref:4204077)   #2749
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Just read this, Sutton's got a busy year ahead with an expanded simracing business alongside his fifth-title-chasing dream.

https://www.overtake.gg/news/why-a-f...business.1984/

Having read that article, you would almost believe that all the various drivers around the world who are not full time professionals do absolutely nothing except twiddle their thumbs at home between race weekends.
Old 7 Apr 2024, 17:21 (Ref:4204091)   #2750
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronpoe View Post
I long thought the BTCC budgets were comparable to that of an F3 season, but maybe those views are skewed somewhat or point toward a different era…?

In any case, those budgets for a single season are eye wateringly high. Anyone have any ideas on what could be realistically done to lower the budget requirements?