Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Jul 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1036598)   #1
vandijk
Veteran

Netherlands
vandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridvandijk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new qualifying format for ALMS

Just announced by the ALMS:
Quote:
"The new qualifying format, which is in a one-race trial at Sonoma, is designed to increase the drama of competition for the New Century Mortgage FastQual Award by giving drivers more of an opportunity to post their best lap times on a track clear of traffic.

However, unlike single-car qualifying formats used in many other racing series, the format for the American Le Mans Series will have multiple cars on the track at the same time, dispatched individually at specific intervals timed to maximize the opportunity for each car to have clear track. The spacing of the cars will also create better opportunities for individual car/driver television coverage as well as coverage by the American Le Mans Series Radio Web.

The cars will be lined up for qualifying in reverse order of the fastest lap achieved by each car in the practice session immediately prior to qualifying. The fastest cars will therefore be placed at the end of the line, building drama during the qualifying session while drivers compete for the overall pole as well as individual class poles. Each car will get a total of four laps on the track during the qualifying session, including its out lap, two flying laps and its in lap".
Old 14 Jul 2004, 17:57 (Ref:1036617)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
:confused: Ummm.

Quote:
The spacing of the cars will also create better opportunities for individual car/driver television.
Given there is no qualifying coverage.. um ok. :confused:

I gotta ask why?
Old 14 Jul 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1036666)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe they're doing it because "JOON-YUHR" is in the 3rd Corvette, and they don't want him punting any "ALMS Regulars" who might be "in his way" like he does in NASCAR....

But seriously....maybe if they went to this kind of format, coverage of their qualifying could be taped and shown on "SpeedChannel"...or maybe CBS and NBC would consider qualifying coverage if this format was adopted....

Just guessing....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Jul 2004, 15:38 (Ref:1037372)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This also has come up on the "ALMS at Sears Point Thread"

There are upsides and downsides to this new method...

But I'll hold off on my judgment until I see how it works, and if they continue it...

I would hate to see teams do what F-1 teams did at Silverstone last week to manipulate the qualifying system....

But the more that I think about it, a system like the one they will try could make qualifying more conducive to TV coverage (live or taped) and would give the teams and sponsors the visibility that could foster more sponsor participation...

Even if TV didn't cover it, as each car took to the track, the Radio ALMS announcers and the local track PA announcer would broadcast "Joe Driver in car number X, in the "Name of Sponsor" chassis and engine on "brand of tires" now begins his qualifying run"

and they would be following and announcing the times of each car that makes a run, as well as covering their laps for the crowd....

The awareness of the radio listenres and the crowd in attendance would be greatly increased...and thus would the sponsor recognition...

Old 15 Jul 2004, 17:47 (Ref:1037486)   #5
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there is no point in taped coverage of qualifying, unless you show like a 1hr show prior to the race...since most races are live, taping wouldnt give you much time to air it, and who would care after the race?

I am all for it if we get TV coverage, otherwise...whoopdee doo.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1037509)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy
there is no point in taped coverage of qualifying, unless you show like a 1hr show prior to the race...since most races are live, taping wouldnt give you much time to air it, and who would care after the race?

I am all for it if we get TV coverage, otherwise...whoopdee doo.
If they qualify on a Saturday afternoon, they could show it live, or someone like Speedchannel could show it that evening....

Old 15 Jul 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1037543)   #7
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more whining about blocking! Lots of pressure on the drivers and I think it might be fun.

And it's a punisable offense to mention "Joon-Hure" around hear, pardner!
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 15 Jul 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1037565)   #8
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
bgeorge104 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the ALMS still covered live by internet radio, I've noticed that there are no links to archived races other than the 12 hours of Sebring?

Big shame if the races are no longer covered
Old 15 Jul 2004, 20:30 (Ref:1037589)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Archives will be coming, it's just that (from my understanding) they're changing formats. Also it takes a while to get them defined and uploaded.

Rest assured, live coverage is definitely available for Qualifying and Race.

http://www.americanlemans.com/radiow...iowebhome.aspx
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1037596)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTW, I'm not sure if this will work, but give it a try:
http: //play.rbn. com/?url=lemans/lemans/g2demand/
race070504.rm&proto=dual&rbnkey=1
Change the numbers to coincide with the date: I've chosen 0705 for July 5 (the Monday at LRP), but 0703, 0626 and 0627 should also be available.

I've added some spaces so that you'll have to copy and paste to get it to work in Real.

Caveat: I don't know if this will work, as I can't run Real on my current machine.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Jul 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1037612)   #11
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes no difference; an Audi will still win
Old 15 Jul 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1037615)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by dretceterini
Makes no difference; an Audi will still win

I posted this in the other "Sears Point" thread:

Sears Point is the only place (at least that I could find), where Audi R8 has lost two races in a row....

They haven't won there since 2001....

I think it will be 3 in a row after Sunday's race....the MG-Lola is better suited to the circuit....

Old 15 Jul 2004, 21:06 (Ref:1037623)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is an interesting format. I hope it works, but it remains to be seen. Will it be the best bits from one lap qualifying and all-at-once, or the worse bits? I think more the former.
Old 15 Jul 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1037627)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'm interested in seeing how the times (particularly at a place like Sears Point) will differ from the past Pole times and top of Class times....

Traffic always seems to be an issue there.....

Old 17 Jul 2004, 11:35 (Ref:1038936)   #15
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Change the numbers to coincide with the date: I've chosen 0705 for July 5 (the Monday at LRP), but 0703, 0626 and 0627 should also be available.

I've added some spaces so that you'll have to copy and paste to get it to work in Real.

Caveat: I don't know if this will work, as I can't run Real on my current machine.
Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try.

Do you know what time qualifying & Race is in central european time?
Old 18 Jul 2004, 04:01 (Ref:1039400)   #16
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll tell you what ALL the drivers and PR are saying.. they all like it because it's ALL about the $$$ and TV coverage, but I don't like it. It doesn't make them work for it. IMO.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 18 Jul 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1039888)   #17
bgeorge104
Racer

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins

It works a treat, thanks for your help
Old 18 Jul 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1039893)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They seemed quite positive about it on RLM.
Old 19 Jul 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1040581)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Any word yet on whether they will use this same format in Portland???

If the response was positive, they probably will keep it....