Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Oct 2002, 11:17 (Ref:396770)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McNish to test Penske

"Also, Team Penske will test F-1 driver Allan McNish at California Speedway as a favor to Toyota."

pinched that from an IndyStar article, here is the link
http://www.indystar.com/article.php?pit04.html

now to me that seems an enormous waste of talent. With friends like Toyota who needs enemies.
Does anybody know if McNish has been in contact with any Sportcar teams?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Oct 2002, 12:45 (Ref:396815)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan! God man, what are you thinking????

There's a Bentley seat just waiting for you!!!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 6 Oct 2002 at 12:45.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 13:48 (Ref:396855)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yea...but bently race just once a year. i would rather see him in a series, but still it would be great to see bently come to Le Mans with this "British Superteam" - McNish, Blundell, Brundle, Herbert...
Old 6 Oct 2002, 13:49 (Ref:396856)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a waste of time. As if anybody in the Invisibles is going to know Nishy from first base. Or first place.

I agree with Lee --get thee to Bentley, McNish! Or even back to Audi! With all those Audi privateers allegedly starting up next year they will need good drivers. Leave the ovals to people who can't drive.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 14:02 (Ref:396862)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
'As a favour to Toyota'??? That's a laugh!

Are Penske in Toyota's pocket or something? And why would Toyota think of running McNish in IRL, least of all with Penske?
Old 6 Oct 2002, 15:29 (Ref:396918)   #6
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I were Bentley management, I wouldn't want my contracted driver in the IRL as the potential for serious injury is just to great. I can understand McNish exploring other racing endeavors as he has pretty much conquered sportscars, but the IRL really only offers money as an incentive in my eyes. If Rahal's ambitions to run sportscars come to fruition, maybe that would be a good option for McNish because the opportunity to possibly run single-seaters is there with his CART team also.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Oct 2002, 18:39 (Ref:397011)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will some go a tell Mr McNish to forget the Penske test and go sign the Bentley contract now................
Old 7 Oct 2002, 14:12 (Ref:397564)   #8
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
To me the only thing IRL offers is dizziness and broken legs!
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:08 (Ref:397617)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Don't you mean "broken backs"?
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:28 (Ref:397636)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
That as well. I think he would be a fool to go to IRL. There are IMO two worthwile option and these are Sportscars or Champcars.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 15:55 (Ref:397654)   #11
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This must be a huge favor to Toyota. But why? Didn't they just dump him?

Personally, I'm a pretty spiteful dude, so if I were McNishy I'd peg the rpms on that boat anchor toyota motor, blow it up, then complain about how i never get a fair shake with Toyota.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 20:42 (Ref:397849)   #12
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without Mcnish and Salo Toyota would be at the back constantly. Mcnish, and Salo did exactly what they were supposed to do, and Toyota dumps them, that's were the favor comes in.

I think that Toyota should bring back the GT-One, so Mcnish can go play, I mean it's only fair.