Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Jun 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1631674)   #1
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Texas Race Thread

Congrats to Helio Castroneves on winning at Texas. Personally I haven't had a chance to see the race yet - was supposed to have been shown tape delayed at noon today, but it was moved to later (I assume in order to not collide with the Formula 1 race, which is aired by the same network albeit on a different channel)

Also, I was positively surprised to read that the race last night was crash free. Have to make sure to get one of the reruns taped so I can watch it.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1631770)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not too much of a race to write home aboot.

Wheldon lead all day/night untill a screwed up stop cost him. Hornish followed him most of the night, then stalled on his final stop.

Helio wins from Dixon.
Old 11 Jun 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1631938)   #3
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Positives for me from the race

The pace of the Fernandez cars, Matsuura and Sharp were near the front at times and both came home in good positions.

Hope fully they will continue to get stronger

and a word for Ed Carpenter, a decent finish last week backed up with another top 10 and ahead of Scheckter!!

he has had some stick so good to see him fighting back
Old 12 Jun 2006, 00:12 (Ref:1632019)   #4
Racer

Antarctica
FL
2112 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This was NOT the typical IRL race at TMS. I don`t know exactly where to pinpoint the causes for this.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 05:11 (Ref:1632101)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I enjoyed the race personally.

The lack of yellows has to go down as a bonus imo.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 05:38 (Ref:1632105)   #6
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was a remarkably subpar meeting at the so-called "action track" of the IRL. The race featured no crashes, no spectacular engine failures, and most importantly, no on-track passes for the lead. Even more so, the racing behind the Penske and Ganassi quarted was equally static and dull. Worst of all, the ridiculously late final round of pit stops scattered the field about the track and left no time for one mad dash to the finish, making Castroneves' last several laps unbearably routine.

What I noticed was the homogeny of the leaderboard throughout the evening: every multicar team seemed to find itself in the same pack for most of the race. As drivers were racing against their teammates, everyone just settled in, the the lack of agression on the racetrack was a direct cause for the remarkable lack of attrition by contact or mechanical failure. Without cautions, the field slowly spread out, and the prospects of stretching out the fuel window to accomodate a two-stop strategy disappeared.

It wasn't a great race, but the end result was caused by a compounding of the multiple variables I listed above, and definitely not the normal turn of events seen at Texas. The show will be better in Richmond, but it might be time to worry if no one can ascend to challenge the Penske and Ganassi camps.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 06:13 (Ref:1632115)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It certainly wasn't great, but I found the fuel conservation aspects, highlighted by the lack of yellow, quite intriguing. The battles up front may not have been dynamic, as such, but it was far from a foregone conclusion until quite late on imo.

Motegi was worse to my mind.

I guess I am just trying to highlight some positives, as the negative will always be clear.

Last edited by Dutton; 12 Jun 2006 at 06:16.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1632847)   #8
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one thing that they didn't mention on air was that after his last pit stop Hornish was able to get around Sharp and Vitor to salvage a 4th place finish and that Sharp edged Vitor by less than a car for 5th.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1632894)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Meira ran out of fuel on the final straightaway....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1633304)   #10
jethro10
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lake District
jethro10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
This was NOT the typical IRL race at TMS. I don`t know exactly where to pinpoint the causes for this.
Yep, but it's becoming more common.
Shame really, it is getting a little boring.

Jeff
Old 13 Jun 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1633456)   #11
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was an ok race actually. The battle at the front wasn't thrilling although that was down to Dan being that much faster than Dixon and the Penske guys and them in turn being miles faster than the rest. But to be fair further down the field there were some nice battles and stories to look at and I thought the coverage of the race just about did them justice.

Not a classic race by any stretch of the word but it kept me well entertained for a couple of hours which is more than I can say of certain other races I watched over the weekend.