Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 19 Mar 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2419643)   #26
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Stretching legs at Sturup? Impossible!
The airport, not the track.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 19:51 (Ref:2419647)   #27
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind View Post
The airport, not the track.
Ah. Well, thank goodness for that.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2419700)   #28
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
A large Chevy V8 would only be legal for 2010, they'd need a different engine for 2011, unless the ACO continue to allow production engines in P1.
One would think that if it meant getting a Panoz prototype to the grid they (the ACO) may think of something, or there is already plans for it. But I would think it would be the new GT-2 LS3 D.I. Corvette engine and not the LS7, or maybe the LS9 Supercharged variant of the LS3.

L.P.
Old 19 Mar 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2419712)   #29
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll believe it when i see it, as with all sports car projects. but the problems with the old panoz prototypes wasn't where the engine was...
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:27 (Ref:2419744)   #30
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
One would think that if it meant getting a Panoz prototype to the grid they (the ACO) may think of something, or there is already plans for it. But I would think it would be the new GT-2 LS3 D.I. Corvette engine and not the LS7, or maybe the LS9 Supercharged variant of the LS3.
An LS is an LS, a part from one with fit on another. Piston shape and rod clearance can be dealt with.
I have not doubt that if someone wanted to try to make an LS of any sort work, the engine, as such, would not be the problem.
Now if the ACO will let the engine be competitive, that is another thing, but then again the IMSA is not brain-dead either.

Do the rules impart a cylinder head limit?
Old 19 Mar 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2419760)   #31
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
An LS is an LS, a part from one with fit on another. Piston shape and rod clearance can be dealt with.
I have not doubt that if someone wanted to try to make an LS of any sort work, the engine, as such, would not be the problem.
Now if the ACO will let the engine be competitive, that is another thing, but then again the IMSA is not brain-dead either.

Do the rules impart a cylinder head limit?
The ACO already gives cam-in-block engines a bigger restrictor. They also give "production based" P1 engines bigger restrictors than pure racing P1 engines. The 2009 rules aren't as generous in regard to GT1 engines in P1 as they were in 2008, but ACO still gives Aston GT1 (or Chevy GT1 if any one wanted to use it) a bigger restrictor than comparable Judd/AIM and so on.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 02:24 (Ref:2419904)   #32
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
a front engined Panoz coupe?!

leave it to Don P to pull this one off!!!
our beloved Jackson County car will be back in Prototype racing!!!
whatever the engine, it's sure to be V8load, frighten young chlidren and shake the ground when it goes by.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 02:25 (Ref:2419905)   #33
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Groovy news! I said a few weeks ago when looking at the Acura with the forward weight shift, 'bring back the Panoz' which would have the stock block engine advantage too. I guess Doctor Don must know something about ACO rules we don't. It seems like the Panoz layout also frees up rear end aero somewhat more then a mid-engine layout (balanced against challenge with front end aero flow...)

I like the algae fuel too, great application for small grid power, use algae to process brown water and harvest for power supply. Great community level setup. But happy too if it turns out to be the go juice in a US built LeMans entrant.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 03:55 (Ref:2419926)   #34
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's just say there is a reason only Autoweek has it
Old 20 Mar 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2420048)   #35
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news .
Mr. Don Panoz and Batmobile car back to Le Mans, I still don´t believed...

Just one question it will be Open or Close prototype???

I just want to see it when i go to Le Mans ( by the way 2011)
Old 20 Mar 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2420074)   #36
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why hasn't anyone quoted this before:
Quote:
Panoz said that he plans a different approach in an attempt to take on the major manufacturers in LMP1.

“We are looking at something that has never been done before, something that would be good for sports-car racing, good for Le Mans and good for us.

“If a Panoz is to go up against the [original-equipment manufacturers such as Audi and Acura], then we have to do something unique.”
This will be interesting!
And my guess will be that we will se something truly different, but very loyal to old type of Prototype design!
Old 20 Mar 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2420090)   #37
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Just one question it will be Open or Close prototype???
A closed topper is what they mentioned ..... we already have some kind of idea what a front engined coupe looks like ..... the original Panoz Esperante was one of those , but would look differant to the new rules , but it was still a front engined coupe .
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:14 (Ref:2420121)   #38
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Why hasn't anyone quoted this before
Because that quote contains almost no information The title of the article says it all: "Panoz seeks return to LMP1 with new front-engine coupe".
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:18 (Ref:2420128)   #39
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article mentions LMP1, but a big V8 prototype would still work from 2011+ with the currently planned rules, if it ran in LMP2 - using a GT2 corvette engine.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2420132)   #40
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Because that quote contains almost no information The title of the article says it all: "Panoz seeks return to LMP1 with new front-engine coupe".
Well, Panoz has used Front engined cars before, so there for it can't be that he mentions
Quote:
We are looking at something that has never been done before, something that would be good for sports-car racing, good for Le Mans and good for us.
Something that has never been done before!!.
I don't know why it always come to my mind when someone says that, but im thinking 4 wheel drive!?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2420143)   #41
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know why it always come to my mind when someone says that, but im thinking 4 wheel drive!?
I don't know why it comes to mind either, because it's not allowed by the ACO
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2420156)   #42
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I don't know why it comes to mind either, because it's not allowed by the ACO
Damn!, would have been nice to see a 4wd prototype!.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2420159)   #43
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
Panoz LMP had the fault that the vibration was very terrible because the long propeller shaft turned in the high rotation.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:09 (Ref:2420165)   #44
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Nobody has built a front engine car according to the current LMP1 regulations Or perhaps Panoz is referring to use of butanol as fuel.
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2420172)   #45
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the fuss over getting weight forward and curing understeer, a front engine with a rear transaxle and Acura's rear tyres on the front trick could maybe work OK..?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2420173)   #46
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
quote from Mr.Don Panoz himself .

revealed that his company is “investigating concepts” that could result in a comeback to the LMP1 prototype category after an absence of six seasons. It is understood that the studies have resulted in the decision to build a Chevrolet-engined prototype.

Take what you will from that remark .
Old 20 Mar 2009, 13:25 (Ref:2420220)   #47
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
This needs to be a newly developed Chevy engine. The corvette engine is too big to be put in the front sucesfully. Can you imagine this car going through the corkscrew. It will feel like you went off a cliff
LS engines are OHV and quite compact. That's not the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
If they went with a wider angle engine there'd be more space for inlet trumpets.
90 degrees... that's the problem!
Old 20 Mar 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2420223)   #48
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Chevrolet doesn't make Boxer engines, do they?
Old 20 Mar 2009, 14:52 (Ref:2420261)   #49
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
i tried to do a quick sketch of an Panoz P1 Coupe, but didn't really work, because i dont have time, because of a big paper!.
But my general idea for the car was that it's uses the same idea as the R15, and has the some nose, and under the nose, all Radiators and cooling is mounted, so the sides of the the cockpit is clean to direct the air thru the car instead of over and around (like the R15). So the car would look a bit like a Catamaran up side down, and having a cockpit in the middle. (don't know if it makes sense)
Old 20 Mar 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2420270)   #50
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
90 degrees... that's the problem!
Yeah sorry, I was thinking of 2011 ahead when they can't use the big Chev