Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1276315)   #1
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best Motoring Gadget/Gizmo/Widget.

Having just taken delivery of a new motor car, I have been impressed by a couple of novel features it includes.

1) a waste bin device built into the rear of the centre console, so no more throwing litter into the passenger footwell.

2) a flap built into the boot floor, which lifts to reveal a selection of hooks and straps to dangle and clasp your shopping bags.

So, Comrades, what is the most helpfull gadget you've seen or used in a motor vehicle?
Old 12 Apr 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1276351)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That'll be a Volvo then...

Very practical those Swedes.

On a slightly different level I'm amazed how much I've used the sat nav in my new Legacy.

Back to the Swedes though - the most impressively designed gadget in any car is the dash mounted cupholder in the Saab 9-5. It's brilliant!
Old 12 Apr 2005, 14:52 (Ref:1276401)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I read this topic I throught of those DVD's of japanese journalists driving and testing diffrent cars, well I think the Rev counter is the best gadit especially since in my car i dont have 1 .
Old 12 Apr 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1276443)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Back to the Swedes though - the most impressively designed gadget in any car is the dash mounted cupholder in the Saab 9-5. It's brilliant!
Except for the task of actually holding drinks...

After 3yrs of owning a 9-5 I decided the only beverage container that could fit successfully in the holder would be a standard 440ml beer can.

Normal 330ml 'Coke' cans fitted nicely but were a two-handed effort to remove, as so little of the can protruded from the top.

Bottles have a rounded bottom, so don't balance safely on the thin base of the holder. Plus they fall out at the first roundabout.

Those McDonalds/KFC/etc. cups are either too large to fit or are too top heavy when full, they tip-over when cornering.

I'm sure the cup holder would work in the USA where they don't have corners, but in the UK it was a bit chocolate teapot.

The same design of holder is being used in other GM products, the new Holden/Vauxhall Monaro/Pontiac GTO has a pair of them.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1276454)   #5
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Must admit, I've never got as far as actually using it for its purpose - just spent ten minutes sat in a 9-5 at a motorshow pushing it in and out... so to speak.

Of course now GM have started using it they'll get it all wrong and it'll stick half open after half a dozen uses...
Old 13 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1277367)   #6
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starter Buttons!
and suspension that goes up and down!!!
Old 23 Apr 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1284848)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
....and suspension that goes up and down!!!
Better than going sideways surely?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 23 Apr 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1285313)   #8
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good Satnav system. Much easier than a map to use when its good.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1287555)   #9
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steering wheel mounted controls for stereo/criuse/etc. Just so handy
Old 26 Apr 2005, 07:43 (Ref:1287645)   #10
Daimlerman
Racer

England
West Sussex - England
Daimlerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you drive classic cars you can't beat a good Swiss Army Penknife.

It's amazing the running repairs that can be carried out with one.

And you can take it with you when you change cars!!