Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Dec 2002, 06:48 (Ref:450865)   #1
Chuck
Rookie

Chuck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Concept !! Australian Racing Team

Hi All,
I am attempting to launch a new concept which involves motor racing enthusiasts of all ages signing up as sponsors.
What do I get for my money? you might ask, well all will be in the running to be selected to race 1 of 10 V8 Ford or Holden production racing cars.
These races will be run in conjunction with the V8 super car rounds throughout the year, totaling 10 races in the season, allowing 250 people the chance to be selected.
This is a very breif outline of the concept, the whole story can be read on my web site.
I am currently talking with AVESCO and have submitted a proposal to CAMS.
I am now evaluating the interest factor through similar means such as this forum.
Note: this a no spam post, 100% legit.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 07:02 (Ref:450868)   #2
275GTB-4
Rookie

275GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia's Gold Coast - Scam Central

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck
Hi All,
I am attempting to launch a new concept which involves motor racing enthusiasts of all ages signing up as sponsors.
What do I get for my money? you might ask, well all will be in the running to be selected to race 1 of 10 V8 Ford or Holden production racing cars.

AND

I am currently talking with AVESCO and have submitted a proposal to CAMS. I am now evaluating the interest factor through similar means such as this forum.
Note: this a no spam post, 100% legit.
Hello and Welcome Chuck, excuse me for immediately smelling pyramid and con! But you must admit anyone reading this MUST be sceptical. For a start, where are you getting the franchise from?

Caveat Emptor people

Last edited by 275GTB-4; 16 Dec 2002 at 07:03.
Old 16 Dec 2002, 07:52 (Ref:450884)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Makes me think of Paul Pickett and Chance of a Lifetime here
Old 16 Dec 2002, 07:52 (Ref:450885)   #4
PEPSI
Racer

PEPSI should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Australia's Gold Coast - Scam Central

Quote:
Originally posted by 275GTB-4
Hello and Welcome Chuck, excuse me for immediately smelling pyramid and con! But you must admit anyone reading this MUST be sceptical. For a start, where are you getting the franchise from?

Caveat Emptor people
If he is talking Production racing then he doesn't need a franchise but he would require significant protection from the sky crashing down on him once Ross Palmer/Procar get wound up
Old 16 Dec 2002, 08:55 (Ref:450909)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Each to his own I suppose... the Chance of a Lifetime conceptually is a good program, I worry at the encouragement some people have said they have received from the organisers to have another try (ca-ching ca-ching goes the cash register) only to dip out in the next round... and the yellow EL was as old as the hills, and missing a lot of the niceties of similar cars of the era....

Remember the Allan Grice Peter Jackson Search for a Champion, it found Peter Gazzard and Rick Bates in the ex-Wayne Park VL to be worthy winners, certainly worthier than the car they got but still
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Dec 2002, 12:54 (Ref:451076)   #6
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Still, Johnson did some reasonable things... shame he couldn't jag a ride at Bathurst with GRM.
Old 17 Dec 2002, 06:54 (Ref:451626)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grant Johnson seems to have a lot of talent, the way he flogged one of Peter Hills' old Mondeos around suggested that quite early, and even in the tech-free EL, without the nice stuff like adjustable sway bars, or spare parts, or even some testing the showing was quite good.

A pity he didnt have a budget to continue with the series into the 30 lapper...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Dec 2002, 08:46 (Ref:451669)   #8
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another class of race cars now there's something that the sport really needs,why not just join a class that is already in exsistance?Commodore Cup,GTP what ever but for gods sake we need another class of cars like a hole in the head

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 17 Dec 2002, 12:39 (Ref:451805)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll drink to that
Old 18 Dec 2002, 12:54 (Ref:452613)   #10
275GTB-4
Rookie

275GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fast, Furious, FNQ, First.....Ford?

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
I'll drink to that
First Australian Racing Team? interesting acronym..
Old 19 Dec 2002, 02:17 (Ref:453128)   #11
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Onlooker
Another class of race cars now there's something that the sport really needs,why not just join a class that is already in exsistance?Commodore Cup,GTP what ever but for gods sake we need another class of cars like a hole in the head
I agree Onlooker. Next year there are way to many new categorys as it is, with Aussie Racing Cars, Future Racers, Cup Car etc...........
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 02:44 (Ref:453139)   #12
RaceTime
Veteran

And don't forget that Aussie Racing Cars have, effectively, two categories now - Aussie Racing Cars from Phil Ward and Aussie Legends from Bob Jane.....
Old 19 Dec 2002, 03:35 (Ref:453172)   #13
White Knight

Quote:
And don't forget that Aussie Racing Cars have, effectively, two categories now - Aussie Racing Cars from Phil Ward and Aussie Legends from Bob Jane....
Not Aussie Legends but Futureracers and created by someone (unknown) in opposition to Phil Ward, and endorsed by Bob Jane, apparently. Seems the cars are not nearly to the the standard of the Aussie Racing Cars and this is where they seem to have an uncertain future.

Old 19 Dec 2002, 04:19 (Ref:453180)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

Wasn't 100% sure of the name - a press release came out about 10 days ago and I chased this up with Calder Park,

It is based on the original Legends for which Bob Jane still, it appears, holds the Australian rights - this is why Phil Wards are known as Aussie Racing Cars.

Will also be interesting to see what hits the fan if the alternate series doesn't have a reverse gear (CAMS being pendantic as usual).

Each series is taking turns at a V8 meeting so that there will be Legends (let's call them for what they are...) at every round - just not the same ones at all rounds.

Plus, the Calder Park version has 3 race meetings pencilled in at Calder in Feb, April and May.

It is also interesting to note that CAMS 10 days ago issues a press release stating that NO new categories would be authorised UFN - and then suddenly we have the Legends and Carrera Cup being granted rights in the last 7 - 10 days....

Last edited by RaceTime; 19 Dec 2002 at 04:21.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 04:46 (Ref:453184)   #15
Onlooker
Veteran

I think that they have sorted the reverse gear thing according to the Tech Torque article that was in AA a few weeks ago as they have rigged a starter motor up to a toothed rear brake rotor,it wasn't a bad piece but implied that the whole "Aussie Racing Cars" thing was the idea and design of P Ward himself and failed to mention that they are a vertual copy of the Ledgends right down to the Toyota rear end.

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 19 Dec 2002, 04:51 (Ref:453185)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

But Legends as a vehicle do NOT have that toothed disk brake - and the Thunderdome legends certainly don't - which is why I was asking...
Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:32 (Ref:453195)   #17
Onlooker
Veteran

I see, I guess they may have to approach P Ward to see if he will supply the parts or the design.
How do you think that these little cars will go on the longer tracks? PI would be a fairly big stretch I would imagine.Racing around the south circuit at Oran Park is one thing but the longer straights will either have them bouncing off the rev limiter or arriving at some corners very quick indeed. Given the speed that they could be travelling at I would be suprised if the roll cage would be up to the task in a direct front on hit at say Sandown ala C McConville.The wheels on Legends are also quite prone to being ripped off in the event of contact with those alloy control arms

Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:40 (Ref:453196)   #18
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd think that they be fine on the long tracks. Gearing would have to go up of course, but under the cheesy appearance, the Phil Ward cars appear to be properly engineered bits of gear (can't comment on the other species).

If they could do one with a 105 series Alfa cover, I'd be interested!
Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:47 (Ref:453198)   #19
Onlooker
Veteran

What do they have forward of the firewall? that is the main concern of mine,at say sandown they would be traveling at 200km plus

Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:51 (Ref:453199)   #20
GTV27
Veteran

Probably a bit more than say a Formula Ford which would be travelling at about the same speed at that point.

The low overall vehicle weight would require less structure to absorb an impact (at a guess, 400Kg?).

Having said that, any accident like that has the potential to be nasty no matter what you're in.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:59 (Ref:453202)   #21
Onlooker
Veteran

It's the thought of the motor coming in through the 1mm ally fire wall that is the main problem or a hit side on after a spin and I can tell you for sure that a Legend has bugger all compared to a FF up front.I guess it must have passed CAMS spec but I wonder what G force the calculations were done at as 200km/h is like 55m/s so a 400g x 55 = 23kN force

Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:11 (Ref:453208)   #22
GTV27
Veteran

Yes, you'd want to make sure that the block was FIRMLY attached, otherwise you could be wearing it. I think there is a bit of bar work (cross bracing et al) between the cockpit and the engine compartment.

Side impacts hurt no matter what you're in (unless its the navigator's side HEHEHE).
Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:27 (Ref:453212)   #23
Onlooker
Veteran

Just dug out the article and they have definatly improved the bar work at the front with a fair size diaginal compared to the Legends so it may be OK

Old 19 Dec 2002, 08:09 (Ref:453222)   #24
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hate to be picky, but I'm going to be anyway

The correct formular to calculate force is

Force = mass x acceleration

not mass x velocity.

Doesn't really matter, a hit at that sort of speed is going to be measured in mega splatts (an obscure scientific turm :b )
Old 19 Dec 2002, 11:36 (Ref:453327)   #25
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
When the ARC were at QR, one of them went A over T several times in big way, all of the bar work did a fantastic job, nothing major fell off it, and the driver trotted off AOK.