Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Sep 2003, 23:27 (Ref:710454)   #101
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No announcement Friday, no deal yet.
Old 6 Sep 2003, 23:36 (Ref:710459)   #102
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update, indycool....I don't no what we would do with out you!?

Last edited by Dov; 6 Sep 2003 at 23:43.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 17:29 (Ref:711018)   #103
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, according to Robin Miller on RPM2DAY (who may or may not know more than Indycool) both sides have agreed on $0.75/share and it now goes to the shareholders for voting. In the meantime, I think they're working on something that would allow OWR to buy Vannini's shares at an above market value price, and thus silence him (not sure about that one though).

Anyway, if Robin's correct, expect a press release or something about it tomorrow.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Sep 2003, 17:33 (Ref:711019)   #104
James Wilkenson
Rookie

James Wilkenson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what does "sending it to the shareholders" mean?
Old 7 Sep 2003, 17:41 (Ref:711025)   #105
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
It means that the two sides reached a deal, but the shareholders have the final say.... given that more than 50% of the shares are owned by a few individuals, it is up to them whether it goes through or not. The smaller ones will have to proxy their votes to whomever they feel will represent them.

Hopefully what it means though is that were a month away from an end to financial press releases and the Cart's critics from having an endless supply of fodder.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Sep 2003, 17:43 (Ref:711027)   #106
James Wilkenson
Rookie

James Wilkenson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do forsythe and co. get to vote there shares even though they are the bidders?
Old 7 Sep 2003, 18:27 (Ref:711056)   #107
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I beleive Forsythe can vote his original 15% however the shares he bought above the 15% maximum ownership thershold are restricted and will follow the vote of the board of directors. So if the board wants the deal to go through....

Last edited by Flatspot; 7 Sep 2003 at 18:36.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 01:06 (Ref:711327)   #108
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Why on earth would one "special" shareholder get a different deal then the rest? The BoD's job is to maximize shareholder value. Creating a deal at $0.75 is not maximizing shareholder value, unless some special dividend is declared. If there is any truth to this, then the lawyers are going to have a heyday.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 01:11 (Ref:711332)   #109
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The never-ending Silly Season.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 01:24 (Ref:711333)   #110
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
0.75 might be maximizing the shareholder value though if you consider the alternatives... What would get the shareholders more? I can't think of anything... having Cart run out of money would likely result in a much much lower value. As would liquidating the company, once all of the resulting lawsuiting (from promoters, sponsors, etc) were settled. All things considered, $0.75 per share sounds pretty good.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 01:29 (Ref:711334)   #111
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The $.75 a share is a gamble and a bet. It's a business deal. OWRS is gambling that, A) the shareholders will go for the perceived threat and not understand what money is still in the bank and what liabilities may be attached to it, and B) It can turn it around for $15 million additional to run another season. Time will tell.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 06:34 (Ref:711401)   #112
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Quote:
Why on earth would one "special" shareholder get a different deal then the rest? The BoD's job is to maximize shareholder value.
Unfortunately there are some shareholders that are willing (and able) to throw money into a good long fight. This is particulary true when the opposition is not in a position to sustain the fight which C^RT is not. The BoD is in a fiduciary capacity to all shareholders and must operate under the "reasonable man" concept.

The BoD is faced with this:

Alternative "A": stay status quo in your business and run entirely out of money within a year and leave the majority of your shareholders with a zero value.

Alternative "B": Accept a buyout proposal from a third party which gives you a value certain that is greater than the zero in alternative "A", but is attached to a time frame and stipulations that all litigation be settled prior to its going through (as the OWRS deal is).

The BoD must make a decision knowing that there is an antagonistic major share holder that is likely to either sue for mismanagement if you pick alternative "A" causing all shareholders to receive the zero value and possibly sooner rather than later or choose alternative "B" knowing that this same shareholder is able to file suit and delay the deal for a length of time long enough for the comapny to run out of money or force the buyer out before it can be heard by the court. The BoD makes this decision also knowing the potential suit can be avoided by cutting a "special deal" for that shareholder in the form of a private transaction.

With the foregoing in mind it is easy to argue that the BoD has a fiduciary responsility to the majority of the shareholders to not only accept altenative "B" but that a "prudent man" would payoff the antagonist to avoid that opportunity from evaporating thereby assuring the greatest final value to the majority of its shareholders.

It sucks but it is the way it is and the way of the business world.

Last edited by Flatspot; 8 Sep 2003 at 06:39.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 12:11 (Ref:711740)   #113
indycool
Veteran

Good analysis, flatspot......the BoD is in a delicate spot with Vannini and so is its liability insurance company.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 06:22 (Ref:712659)   #114
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For someone to buy out Vannini for more than the .75 it would have to be done prior to the shareholders offer and of coarse if it becomes public there could be court action that would hold everthing up indefinalty this could cause the company into liqudation.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 13:45 (Ref:713158)   #115
indycool
Veteran

MPH closed at $.91 Monday.....16 cents over the $.75.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 14:26 (Ref:713186)   #116
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So market valuation and the offer are converging?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 9 Sep 2003, 15:14 (Ref:713230)   #117
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I beleive that any private transaction to take out a shareholder like Vannini would come before the BoD takes definative action on the offer. Private transactions are exactly that however and anyone is able to make such a transaction with anyone else at no liability to the other shareholders. All sharholders are able to do the same thing if they can find a buyer and therefore have no cause for legal action. As an example, Forsythe purchased his last shares in a private transaction at $5.00 when the open market was closer to $3.50. Not only that but the BoD took action to allow that purchase, taking him over the max. ownership threshold and no one sued. I don't think anyone will as they are very, very likely to lose and it will only hurt their personal final outcome.

Sometimes you just have to suck it in and take your lumps.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 15:20 (Ref:713235)   #118
indycool
Veteran

Flatspot, you're right on that one. The BoD allowed Forsythe to take out Grosveld. Kalkhoven has reportedly been talking to Vannini. I think Vannini will be a little tough to diaper. But I agree that the BoD would be foolish to present a lowball offer to the shareholders without taking care of that first.

MPH was at $.87 this morning at last look, low of $.83, on volume of 38,700 shares.
Old 11 Sep 2003, 14:32 (Ref:715162)   #119
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At 8:30 p.m. on Wed., Sept. 10, CART's Board apporved the sale to the Forsythe Group we all know about for 56 cents per share...the process begins as discussed in the "sale Timeline" thread...

According to the Indianapolis Star this morning, that is the best price CART could hope for given the finanical statements from recent quarters....

Yes...It IS happening....the wheels are in motion

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Sep 2003, 14:56 (Ref:715188)   #120
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
great news