Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Jun 2014, 14:01 (Ref:3422612)   #76
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Click image for larger version

Name:	Richard and Mike 2014..JPG
Views:	31
Size:	811.3 KB
ID:	42747
Good job Mike was up for a chat. This picture portrails the day.
Old 16 Jun 2014, 14:17 (Ref:3422620)   #77
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Utterly brilliant day out - well done to Iain and everyone who worked so hard to get it off the ground.

Did the Tour with the children as Mrs M abandoned me for a w/e away with the ladies....(her with the ladies - not me!

It must be said that we did take our time (hustling 17 feet of elderly V12 Sovereign through some of the lanes prohibited anything more than a ponderous pace) and coupled with a 13 y/o navigational skills while being heckled by the 9 y/o in the back (the 14 y/o spent half the time asleep!!!) dictated that we were never going to be brisk.

Agree with Mike's comment (think it was Mike?) that the Tour for next year could maybe start a little earlier as it would have been great to have stayed a bit longer but we had to go to a BBQ that eve. at least I stayed long enough to steal Bully's star auction prize from Jim. Thought the auctioneer Le Compte did a cracking job - even though he did not recognise me!
Old 16 Jun 2014, 17:27 (Ref:3422680)   #78
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Nick, much respect to You, James Owen and anyone else that undertook to do The Tour with their young 'uns! And further respect for squeezing your Daimler Sovereign down those lanes- a narrow bodied Morgan felt too wide at times!

Lovely photo thanks Iain. I've known Richard for getting on for 40 years I guess! Couldn't let his assessment of my navigational skills go unanswered.....

The cycle ride Saturday afternoon was in more sunshine and also very enjoyable, although having to leave the pub in Wallingford knowing that the route home was all uphill was a struggle! The thought of beer and BBQ spurred us on..... Oh, and the only rider that came a cropper (into the nettles) during the ride was.......... No, I will leave you to guess!

Old 16 Jun 2014, 18:44 (Ref:3422710)   #79
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Gazza and Charlie Wooding have some super photo's. Just go to Charlie's web site, We packed up the truck this morning and I looked over the field and all that was there were a couple of bits of litter.
At 11am on Sunday I'm saying to myself "that's it never again". Well that was yesterday.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3422986)   #80
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
didn't realise it was you in the Morgan, Mike. I was behind you and you went straight on at the Equestrian Centre. My navigator told me it was wrong so in deference to youth I went in the direction I was told....the fact that you finished way in front of me speaks volumes....
Old 17 Jun 2014, 11:14 (Ref:3423002)   #81
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
I dont get involved in organising the Tour, I did not realise that part of the challenge was ride a Hoss.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 12:15 (Ref:3423036)   #82
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three generations of Owen Family enjoyed the day out. Doing the tour in the XK was fun. Granny, age 85, on the Maps, Emily, age 7, writing the answers to the questions (well the ones we could find!) and Freddie, age 4, generally trying to distract us! We arrived first and got interviewed, so the kids thought we'd 'won' but the fact is that 65miles with that crew was never going to happen! Freddie gave the game away when Iain gave him the microphone and he admitted that 'we kept going the wrong way' and that 'we cheated' ... Tour was fun, good route, but challenging nav in places; well organised, a bit long for us, but only because of our younger crew, I would think that length of tour would be about right for 'grown-ups'!! I might introduce a prize next year for 'Count the Cyclists', just to keep little ones interested, and would test their counting too as we must have seen 1000s.

Nuffield events were fun, getting in 'first' meant there was plenty of cake left to keep everyone happy! We enjoyed a wander round, chatted to several 10thers, kids drove the electric buggies and spent some time queuing for certain 'facilities' (hint for next year - a portaloo or two might be a good idea! Good turnout, I hope that gets reflected in the charity takings.

I tried to push the price up on an auction item for the sake of charity ... I now own it ... nice Andrew Kitson print of Gerry Marshall's cars.

Great work Iain and team - must have been a huge effort.
Old 17 Jun 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3423242)   #83
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
Three generations of Owen Family enjoyed the day out. Doing the tour in the XK was fun. Granny, age 85, on the Maps, Emily, age 7, writing the answers to the questions (well the ones we could find!) and Freddie, age 4, generally trying to distract us! We arrived first and got interviewed, so the kids thought we'd 'won' but the fact is that 65miles with that crew was never going to happen! Freddie gave the game away when Iain gave him the microphone and he admitted that 'we kept going the wrong way' and that 'we cheated' ... Tour was fun, good route, but challenging nav in places; well organised, a bit long for us, but only because of our younger crew, I would think that length of tour would be about right for 'grown-ups'!! I might introduce a prize next year for 'Count the Cyclists', just to keep little ones interested, and would test their counting too as we must have seen 1000s.

Nuffield events were fun, getting in 'first' meant there was plenty of cake left to keep everyone happy! We enjoyed a wander round, chatted to several 10thers, kids drove the electric buggies and spent some time queuing for certain 'facilities' (hint for next year - a portaloo or two might be a good idea! Good turnout, I hope that gets reflected in the charity takings.

I tried to push the price up on an auction item for the sake of charity ... I now own it ... nice Andrew Kitson print of Gerry Marshall's cars.

Great work Iain and team - must have been a huge effort.
Ahhhh that was you. Had the splendid machinery and crew been associated with the tenthers title you would have been sent round the tour again rather than being sympathetically shown the entrance road. Beware tenthers in orange.
Old 19 Jun 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3423669)   #84
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm so sorry I missed it, but work beckoned on both days

To see these photographs, read the reports, it sounds like the whole event has grown since the days of all clustered around Iain's workshop, the magnificent (?!?!) duelathon et al. Congratulations to the energy and hard work of the organising committee - and Iain, I don't know how you do it, it's not like you've nothing else to do!

Any reports of the soap box race? Was looking forward to seeing some Tenthers' engineering.
Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3426214)   #85
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
Gary Critcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've just mastered the black art of posting pics to forums, so here goes .....

Old 25 Jun 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3426218)   #86
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
a couple more

Old 29 Jun 2014, 12:02 (Ref:3427807)   #87
Gary Critcher
Racer

England
London, England, UK
the video edit is coming along nicely.....
Old 29 Jun 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3427826)   #88
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
We are all looking forward . Gazza
Old 29 Jun 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3427827)   #89
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
On a romantic side I finnished work today and wandered over to the field where the show took place . Was I bit like when those old 2 nd world war air field movies when the film starts with a deserted air field . Sorry I'm waffling . Anyway I had to pause and look at deserted field and thought about how full it was a couple of weeks ago of classic and racing cars .
Old 29 Jun 2014, 13:45 (Ref:3427828)   #90
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Ahh b t w looks like we made about £4000.0" all together with the school. Church and our efforts . Money going to local charities this year . The baby dialysis machine we have funded in the past is now funded by NHS
Old 29 Jun 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3427863)   #91
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Iain, can I suggest that in future you get the donations through www.justgiving.com or similar? That way, those of us who can't make it could still contribute. Anyway well done for all your efforts.
Old 30 Jun 2014, 08:44 (Ref:3428472)   #92
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Good call - cracking effort Iain - well done
Old 21 Jul 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3436335)   #93
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Just watched the DVD it's brilliant well done Gazza . Need to do voice over then they will be ready for sale . Competitors in the tour will get a copy f o c .
Old 5 Jan 2015, 22:16 (Ref:3490183)   #94
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
ProCo2020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a thread for the 2015 event yet?

Tour route has been planned...

Follow me on Twitter @bryanhull or @rallymatcher
Old 6 Jan 2015, 04:54 (Ref:3490258)   #95
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not yet.
Old 6 Jan 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3490299)   #96
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
is there a date for 2015 version please?
Old 6 Jan 2015, 10:33 (Ref:3490301)   #97
ProCo2020
Rookie

England
SE England
ProCo2020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the date is the 5th of July.

There will be a couple of diary clashes no doubt but whatever date you aim for someone will always have an issue.

Follow me on Twitter @bryanhull or @rallymatcher
Old 6 Jan 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3490313)   #98
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
is there a date for 2015 version please?
Iain did post date somewhere on calendar thread, but to save looking it is 4/5 July. Unfortunately so is British GP (big screen TV would solve!) and Masters new Donington event. The latter may unfortunately take precedence for me.....
Old 6 Jan 2015, 13:14 (Ref:3490334)   #99
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big screen TV could be an earning opportunity! VIP lounge, hospitality, hosted by Famous International Racing Driver. WDYT Iain?
Old 6 Jan 2015, 16:24 (Ref:3490366)   #100
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
thanks both, just sorting out my year planner....