Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Oct 2005, 22:44 (Ref:1447950)   #76
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It certainly wasn't the money. He was on a pretty good wicket at Toyota.

This is so disappointing. James Courtney is as fast as ANY Australian driver that has ventured overseas. To see him racing V8Supercars at 25 is very disappointing.

Having said that, it appears that James has made a lifestyle choice - and if he's happy with that then let's hope we get to see him in full flight.

By mid-2006 Courtney will be braining them ....... and Rusty will be starting to wish he hadn't had so much input (if you believe him) in selecting his team mate.

And watching C.Lowndes and J.Courtney thrash it out (providing both receive good equipment) in coming years could be one of the more memorable motor racing experiences in this country.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 00:36 (Ref:1447995)   #77
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac

And watching C.Lowndes and J.Courtney thrash it out (providing both receive good equipment) in coming years could be one of the more memorable motor racing experiences in this country.
This much is true.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 01:53 (Ref:1448013)   #78
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This sounds exactly like the garbage that Cochrane would like intelligent people to swallow ; absolute BS
What planet are you on, not this one. They had French commentators doing the Bathurst race."Australsia Area" cannot argue with that.. they are very popular.
This is so disappointing. James Courtney is as fast as ANY Australian driver that has ventured overseas. To see him racing V8Supercars at 25 is very disappointing
Good career move. At least he can nopw race as James Courtney, not carry a "gentlemen racer" as in the Japanese series.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 03:34 (Ref:1448038)   #79
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James belongs in F1. At least he has picked a terrific team, albeit in V8s.

He will be on the pace very quickly.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 04:10 (Ref:1448044)   #80
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
...Good career move. At least he can nopw race as James Courtney, not carry a "gentlemen racer" as in the Japanese series.
And Ingall is certainly no gentleman!*

(*Doesn't mean I don't like the guy!)
Old 31 Oct 2005, 05:06 (Ref:1448057)   #81
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the press release:
For Courtney timing has proved everything.

“This last couple of weeks has been amazing as we had some incredible offers both in Japan and Australia for 2006 onwards so the pressure was really on to decide where I would go. But only on Thursday was the decision actually made and the contract signed.”

Seems it might not have been so cut and dried as some would like to believe. I know that SBR was chasing very hard and have had a definate "Maybe" for a month or so. But pen was not put to paper until thursday even if it had been decided before. I say good luck to them in 2006 as i think it is going to be one of the better seasons in a while.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1448062)   #82
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What planet are you on, not this one. They had French commentators doing the Bathurst race."Australsia Area" cannot argue with that.. they are very popular.
do you honestly think the average French motorsport enthusiast knows anything about Supercars?! They are a great local series, but a few in here need to get out more.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 05:52 (Ref:1448068)   #83
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robert - You make a good point about his 'gentleman' co-driver in the SuperGT series. Perhaps Toyota couldn't promise him a competitive team mate next year, which swung the decision back into SBR's direction?

Is he signed to a Ford contract?

Whats this about Bill Woods saying SuperGT was too much of a domestic series? (forgive me, i didn't watch RPM) They have as many overseas rounds as V8Supercars, and whole reason they changed the name from Japanese GT Championship to SuperGT Championship was because they were pushing the series into different countries, not just running races in Japan. Billy, don't let facts get in the way of a good plug though..........
Old 31 Oct 2005, 05:52 (Ref:1448069)   #84
storyline
Veteran

Australia
Country Victoria
storyline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ingall re-signs with Caltex Racing

INGALL RE-SIGNS WITH CALTEX RACING

Caltex Racing’s Russell Ingall has re-signed with the Stone Brothers Racing team.

Ingall, who currently leads this year’s V8 Supercar Series by 66 points from his SBR teammate Marcos Ambrose with two rounds remaining, penned the new deal at the weekend.

Confirmation of the new deal comes on the same day that is has been announced that young Australian open-wheel ace James Courtney will be replacing Ambrose at SBR next season in a Caltex-lubricated Ford sponsored by Jeld-Wen – the parent company of the Stegbar window and doors company, which has been a support sponsor at SBR the last couple of seasons.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1448073)   #85
Robert Ryan
Veteran

do you honestly think the average French motorsport enthusiast knows anything about Supercars
How do you think a series is promoted? By getting someone who speaks the Language to help promote it. So what Touring car series is great? They are the most talked about, if that is a guide ,Touring Car series in the US. I am talking Touring car series, not "Touring series" i.e NASCAR.
Everyone I have talked to in the US mentions them as regards "racing in Australia" the others are Sprintcars and Drag Racing(Aussie in the US). That tends to be the US "knowledge " of Australian racing generally.. unless they are into specific sorts of racing like bikes.
A Promotor who pushes Dirt Modified racing in the New England area.. commented how the really "Crash and bash" for a group of roadracers.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 06:00 (Ref:1448076)   #86
Robert Ryan
Veteran

SuperGT is Japanese "domestically " based and yes they are trying to promote races in other countries.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1448193)   #87
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
do you honestly think the average French motorsport enthusiast knows anything about Supercars
How do you think a series is promoted? By getting someone who speaks the Language to help promote it. So what Touring car series is great? They are the most talked about, if that is a guide ,Touring Car series in the US. I am talking Touring car series, not "Touring series" i.e NASCAR.
Everyone I have talked to in the US mentions them as regards "racing in Australia" the others are Sprintcars and Drag Racing(Aussie in the US). That tends to be the US "knowledge " of Australian racing generally.. unless they are into specific sorts of racing like bikes.
A Promotor who pushes Dirt Modified racing in the New England area.. commented how the really "Crash and bash" for a group of roadracers.

huh?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1448239)   #88
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
It certainly wasn't the money. He was on a pretty good wicket at Toyota.

This is so disappointing. James Courtney is as fast as ANY Australian driver that has ventured overseas. To see him racing V8Supercars at 25 is very disappointing.

Having said that, it appears that James has made a lifestyle choice - and if he's happy with that then let's hope we get to see him in full flight.

By mid-2006 Courtney will be braining them ....... and Rusty will be starting to wish he hadn't had so much input (if you believe him) in selecting his team mate.

One very important matter that would weigh heavily on Courtneys choice is

THE LITTLE LADY AT HOME!

He now resides in the Sunshine Coast and is recently married AND wifey is having a baby! I can see his wife saying " take the great offer just down the road based at the Gold Coast" and not have to travel to Japan or miserable Melbourne (at HRT) and leave me here with a young baby
so he took the well paid job with a great and proven FORD team based nearby to his wife and bub!!!......Similar to Lowndes move a few years ago!

It will indeed be fantastic watching James and Craig battling two SBR powered BA/BFs with Skaifey(and others ) trying to keep up with the young and younger guns!
Old 31 Oct 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1448313)   #89
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How do you think a series is promoted? By getting someone who speaks the Language to help promote it. So what Touring car series is great? They are the most talked about, if that is a guide ,Touring Car series in the US.
Robert I am not sure where you get your info from, but the 3 people on Speed forums dont count as bible.

The proof is in the pudding or lack of pudding, how many americans or other OS psoters do you see in these Aus part of this forum.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1448330)   #90
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace
One very important matter that would weigh heavily on Courtneys choice is

THE LITTLE LADY AT HOME!

He now resides in the Sunshine Coast and is recently married AND wifey is having a baby! I can see his wife saying " take the great offer just down the road based at the Gold Coast" and not have to travel to Japan or miserable Melbourne (at HRT) and leave me here with a young baby
so he took the well paid job with a great and proven FORD team based nearby to his wife and bub!!!......Similar to Lowndes move a few years ago!
Marcus Ambrose and his wife have just had a baby and they are leaving SBR,QLD and Australia to go to America so Marcus can try to break into NASCAR.

Does this mean James Courtney is under the thumb and Marcus Ambrose isn't or has Mrs Ambrose more faith in her husbands abilities.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 12:45 (Ref:1448341)   #91
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I must concur...this guy could have been anything and the "breaks" just have'nt seemed to go his way. Will Power is a great driver and will do well in CC but Courtney could take him in a whim. And why has he been overlooked for A1??
Wierd...but he will do what Ambrose did in V8SC...and yes. a CL/JC battle in tourers - great - but rather see them in a McLaren and a Renault.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1448363)   #92
MHDT
Racer

MHDT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
I must concur...this guy could have been anything and the "breaks" just have'nt seemed to go his way. Will Power is a great driver and will do well in CC but Courtney could take him in a whim. And why has he been overlooked for A1??
Wierd...but he will do what Ambrose did in V8SC...and yes. a CL/JC battle in tourers - great - but rather see them in a McLaren and a Renault.
Better to see Mr Courtney in the hot seat, rather than your friend BPB, Deeks?
Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1448592)   #93
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert I am not sure where you get your info from, but the 3 people on Speed forums dont count as bible
DRT I am not talking about FORUMS, but people who manage series , drivers, fans(generally) car owners: OK let us see they were :ARCA(Car owners), Winston West (Drivers, Team Owners and Media), Sprintcars ; Modifieds/Late Models(organisers); SPEED WC(Admin and Organisers, Drivers); Trans Am/GT1/ Americangt Drivers and
organiser; Historic Racing. That is just off the top of my head...
RICK Answer I thought you would come up with, as you do come from Fantasyland LOL.
Old 31 Oct 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1448602)   #94
Robert Ryan
Veteran

The proof is in the pudding or lack of pudding, how many americans or other OS psoters do you see in these Aus part of this forum
DRT have you noticed how few posts there are in the NASCAR forum? Ten-tenths has a European/Aus/Kiwi constituency mainly. What people who do wander on to it from the US and Canada are primarily openwheel fans....a rare fan in the US.
Old 1 Nov 2005, 17:44 (Ref:1449587)   #95
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm I remember JC's old girlfriend! damn was she smoking hot, I beleive she was the daughter of the tony kart importer and then went on to be on that island TV show.... noice....

I just hope JC signed for a 1 yr deal, smashes them next year and goes for an F1 gig in 2007, and no he is not too old! if anything he has more reason to be in F1 than half the field....

oh pics of the new baby
Old 2 Nov 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1450242)   #96
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya
Marcus Ambrose and his wife have just had a baby and they are leaving SBR,QLD and Australia to go to America so Marcus can try to break into NASCAR.

Does this mean James Courtney is under the thumb and Marcus Ambrose isn't or has Mrs Ambrose more faith in her husbands abilities.
Marcos HAS to get the NASCAR bug out of his system! so Sonja and Tabitha have no choice-

Maybe James is under the thumb or maybe he saw a sweet deal with a great team with Ross and Jimmy Stone(did you see the grin on Ross Stones face at the launch-those SBros pulled a coup on HRT!!
Old 2 Nov 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1450391)   #97
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That probably had something to do with HRT struggling to find somewhere to put JC, while Ross and Jim had just the place.

All the best to SBR. They've got a talent on board. I'm sure they'll make him go well. Whether he can beat HRT in his first season, we'll have to wait and see.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1450827)   #98
Beatcha
Racer

Australia
Beatcha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just remember the Stones said drivers are like light bulbs, you just plug them in. So do they relate this to JC as well? If so i think they have got a real bright bulb in JC and he will brain them in a few years time.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1450943)   #99
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it takes him that long.
Old 3 Nov 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1450968)   #100
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It won't.

I think more thana few people are going to get a big shock when this kid puts his talent out there for all to see...