Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Jul 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1356464)   #1
bananas
Rookie

bananas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best seats at Spa-Francorchamps?

Hi all,

I'm thinking of going to Spa for F1 this year. Having never been there before (or any other F1 race for that matter), I don't know which seats are the best value. Obviously the grandstand overlooking Eue Rouge looks appealing, but it's near the top-end of the expensive price list...

At the bottom end of the price list General Admission might be OK as I'm not overly fussed about sitting under a roofed grandstand - I'm quite happy sitting on grass even if it rains (so long as it's warm mind!).

The important thing for me is having a good view of the circuit - as much as possible idealy, otherwise an overtaking spot (Bus-Stop chicane?) or a spectacular section such as the legendary Eue Rouge.

Any advice/opinions you can give me would be greatly apprecated - thanks in advance and all that!

Cheers,
Sam
Old 15 Jul 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1356549)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you like top speed, go for the double left. Good long view if you find a good spot on the high bank on the outside of the corner.
The Busstop is not that good anymore, but should be okay for some overtaking. (F1 overtaking? )
The problem with Eau Rouge/Radillon is that where ever you sit, you will always miss something.
Old 18 Jul 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1357957)   #3
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best view we have had at Spa is Radillion High(Gold 4 I think?) . Excellent spot and you can see across to the bus-stop and see the podium. Phuon (sp?) and the blast through the trees into Blanchemont are stunning, but if you are going Bronze, you will need to be there early on race day to secure a top spot. We have also sat in the silver stand at Eau Rouge and the covered grandstand opposite the old pits.
I would always advise anybody to go for a numbered seat so you can wander round the track and look at different places throughout the weekend, knowing there will be a space come qualifying/race. Plus you can leave whenever you want to fill up on frites and mayo!
Old 19 Jul 2005, 06:17 (Ref:1358291)   #4
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remus - translate that please into non-F1 speak. That is Radillion sounds good but I am going for the WTCC so less grandstands so where do I go?
Old 19 Jul 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1358805)   #5
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Les,
if you go for the WTCC, there should be no restrictions. You can walk around and visit all the nice spots: Eau Rouge (Radillon) bottom and top, Les Combes, the lefthander after Brussels, Pouhon (the double left), Malmedy corner from the outside, Blanchimont, the Busstop section and La Source. There are lots of service roads you can use to cut across from one side to another.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1359047)   #6
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
been before and walked from paddock round La Source, bus stop, blanchimont, Stavelot & down round as far as we thought we could get - Pouhon. Is there much round the other way past Eau Rouge?
Old 20 Jul 2005, 12:08 (Ref:1359273)   #7
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malmedy gives you a good up close view travelling quite slowly, and Les Combes is a popular overtaking spot.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1359300)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
general admission and take a chair and a pair of good walking shoes. climbing right to the top round les combes and taking a look at the view down the hill is a triumph, and the spectating is spectacular rather than being close to the cars.
Old 20 Jul 2005, 13:05 (Ref:1359319)   #9
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ALL of it is spectacular! I don't think you'll be disappointed wherever you are!
Old 20 Jul 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1359530)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, during practice take a walk around the circuit. Even when there are no cars it is wonderful. Try watching from the cliffs of death (the entry to Pouhon).
Old 20 Jul 2005, 18:29 (Ref:1359539)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In a recent Ask Nigel. The point of the question isn't about Spa, but it contains this line:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NR
It is highly unlikely, for example, that any new track will ever contain corners comparable with Eau Rouge or Pouhon or Stavelot (all at Spa), or Suzuka's famed 130R.
http://www.autosport-atlas.com/asknigel.aspx
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1359599)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les
Is there much round the other way past Eau Rouge?
You can have an easy walk from Radillon up to Les Combes (outside), good vantage point near Post 7, from there go via the marshals campsite to Brussels (good viewing). The small tunnel you pass on the campsite will lead you to the infield and the other good spots like the lefthander after Brussels and Pouhon. Stay away from the outside of Stavelot to Pouhon, you'll be stuck in either mud or shrubbery. From Pouhon you can take a shortcut to the paddock.
Take your radio along: tannoy=radio (107.5 IIRC)
Old 20 Jul 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1359634)   #13
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
didn't realise there was a tunnel that way round - it's not shown on the circuit guides. Might try that and I'll pack the radio.
Thanks for all the hints