Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Aug 2007, 23:56 (Ref:1998832)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phoenix Off

http://www.grandprixarizona.com/
Old 29 Aug 2007, 00:39 (Ref:1998850)   #2
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Ok, can someone get me KK's arse.

Seriously though, did the sponsors' finances suddenly go to pot? Why can't KK, GF, and PG bankroll the remainder of this year's costs and continue going for sponsors to keep this from happening next year?!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 01:11 (Ref:1998861)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
Why can't KK, GF, and PG bankroll the remainder of this year's costs
They can.

They chose not to.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 03:20 (Ref:1998888)   #4
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very disappointing. Was looking foward to a race in Pheonix.

All that effort in going head to head with IMS has come to nothing.

Now wouldnt it be nice if they could switch this race to Pehonix International Raceway
Old 29 Aug 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1998981)   #5
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which means that we're done racing in the US for this season. Netherlands, Australia and Mexico left.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1999042)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bankrolling the race for this year at least would surely have been cost-effective, considering the negative PR of cancelling a race at such short notice, messing up the late-season schedule. It seems like the initial published race schedule is never completely followed through by OWRS.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1999053)   #7
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just wondering, could this decision have been helped by the fact that Bourdais is moving to F1?

with his current lead and form, it's likely he would've been champion before this race. and with the late date for it, STR could've asked him to skip it, so he could be working for them at that point already
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:01 (Ref:1999054)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh dear oh dear oh dear - at the risk of being accused of negativity (one of the most heinous crimes in this part of the forum apparently) this seems wholly in keeping with the administrative side of CC this past 12 months.

Isn't it time this series went back to being a national championship again and it stopped pretending it was a well organised international racing car series?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:08 (Ref:1999057)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Another "win" for the hobby racers. This year's winner of the "Ansan Award" goes to...

First China gets switched, then cancelled. Now Phoenix. We, as fans, are asked to accept that this is a top-line series. One that is on rise.

Well, top level racing series just don't have these things happen year-in and year-out. Further, the apparent unwillingness of the hobbyists to prop the race up with their own $$ makes a statement of it's own. If this series were truly viable, and truly on the edge of re-establishing itself then there should have been no hesitation to do so.

If the owners are no longer willing, then why would/should anyone else be?

marcel82, I would be willing to bet that 70% of the folks who would have been attending the race have no idea who Bourdais is, let alone that he is going to F1. Further, that should be a draw to come see the race, not a detraction.

PS- of course, China is still listed for this year as "TBD."

Last edited by JohnSSC; 29 Aug 2007 at 10:13.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1999068)   #10
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery

Isn't it time this series went back to being a national championship again and it stopped pretending it was a well organised international racing car series?
But Pheonix is Arizona? 'national'
Old 29 Aug 2007, 10:33 (Ref:1999073)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Another "win" for the hobby racers. This year's winner of the "Ansan Award" goes to...

First China gets switched, then cancelled. Now Phoenix. We, as fans, are asked to accept that this is a top-line series. One that is on rise.

Well, top level racing series just don't have these things happen year-in and year-out. Further, the apparent unwillingness of the hobbyists to prop the race up with their own $$ makes a statement of it's own. If this series were truly viable, and truly on the edge of re-establishing itself then there should have been no hesitation to do so.

If the owners are no longer willing, then why would/should anyone else be?

marcel82, I would be willing to bet that 70% of the folks who would have been attending the race have no idea who Bourdais is, let alone that he is going to F1. Further, that should be a draw to come see the race, not a detraction.

PS- of course, China is still listed for this year as "TBD."
The 'hobby racers, the hobby racers, the hobby racers'.

As for Phoenix being canceled, a shame I was looking forward to the December race. A shame another race has been canceled.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:12 (Ref:1999093)   #12
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Not speaking for Mystery here, but the point I believe that was being made is that while the CC gang was on their triumphal swing through second-tier tracks in Europe (thus giving Dan Clarke the chance to make a fool out of himself and the series in front of a more experienced motorsports crowd), perhaps the focus should have been on races here in North America. Since this is their "base" so to speak, the idea should be to make sure that things are in order at home before you go across the Atlantic.

And yes, hobby racers. Like I said in another thread they need to put someone in charge of this stuff, give them a budget and have them make it happen. I am getting really tired of their happy talk. This far out of bankruptcy they should be able to announce a schedule that is stable.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1999106)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Well John I believe since 2001 a race has been canceled every year which isn't good at all, will be 2 this year with China. Why don't thy just announce it's over? Only 2 months left of the traditional racing series which leaves no time to re-organize an event.

I will admit it doesn't look professional, as other top line series don't. But we'll see.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1999110)   #14
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's actually three cancellations this year. Denver was on the original schedule.

China and Ansan are one thing, but I've read at other forums about those who bought plane tickets and reserved rooms for Phoenix. Shame.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1999115)   #15
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks John - spot on assessment of the point I was making. My geography isn't as bad as some people might be inclined to think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I will admit it doesn't look professional, as other top line series don't. But we'll see.
Which top line series? Formula One has deals with circuits lined up years ahead - it's only circuits Bernie £cclestone doesn't like that have doubts and they are always resolved months and months in advance.

MotoGP has a pretty fixed calendar and has done for years.

World Superbikes seems similarly well organised. Same story with World Rally.

IRL? Nope - not a top line series IMHO (Milka Duno!!) but even that seems to have its calendar fixed before the start of the season (before the start of 2007 at all if Wikipedia is to be believed).

Which series do you have in mind?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:16 (Ref:1999131)   #16
indycool
Veteran

CCWS statement from Steve Johnson:

"We obviously are disappointed that the organizers of Grand Prix Arizona
cancelled their event. While we were looking forward to closing our
season with a new Champ Car race in Arizona, we're prepared to now
finish instead in Mexico City (Nov. 9-11) as we have done the past three
years. We look forward to a great event this weekend in Assen, Holland,
the second of two new Champ Car events in Europe, then concluding our
2007 season with our traditionally strong events in Surfer's Paradise,
Australia in October and Mexico in November.

"The 2007 Champ Car World Series season will encompass 14 total events,
including four new events in Las Vegas, Nevada; Mont-Tremblant, Canada;
Zolder, Belgium; and Assen, Holland. This is two less than originally
planned due not only to Phoenix's decision to cancel but also with the
inability to conduct an event in China this year. The failure of our
previous China promoter-since replaced-to materially comply with our
agreement forced us to miss our May date, and we have been unable to
secure an appropriate 2007 replacement date with our new promoter. While
it's unfortunate that these situations have occurred, we're now on the
eve of what we expect to be one of our most successful events of the
year, and anticipate an exciting week ahead in Holland."
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:23 (Ref:1999139)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Thanks John - spot on assessment of the point I was making. My geography isn't as bad as some people might be inclined to think!!

Which top line series? Formula One has deals with circuits lined up years ahead - it's only circuits Bernie £cclestone doesn't like that have doubts and they are always resolved months and months in advance.

MotoGP has a pretty fixed calendar and has done for years.

World Superbikes seems similarly well organised. Same story with World Rally.

IRL? Nope - not a top line series IMHO (Milka Duno!!) but even that seems to have its calendar fixed before the start of the season (before the start of 2007 at all if Wikipedia is to be believed).

Which series do you have in mind?
Look mystery I already said

'I will admit this doesn't look professional, as other top line series don't cancel atleast 1 event a year. But we'll see'

What more do you want me to say?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1999150)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
It's actually three cancellations this year. Denver was on the original schedule.

China and Ansan are one thing, but I've read at other forums about those who bought plane tickets and reserved rooms for Phoenix. Shame.
Off the top of my head....

2001: Rio was canceled when they couldn't agree on a date with the major I believe as they were originally going to run the stock car course.

Then Texas was canceled on the race weekend because of the high speeds on the high banks.

2002: Lausitz I think was originally on the schedule.

2003: Road America was off then on again in the end thanks to Mario Andretti but Fontana was canceled because of the fires in California.

2004: St.Petersburg was moved back to a later date because the season started later then never featured on the schedule.

Korea

2005:Korea

2006: Korea

2007: Denver, Shanghai and Phoenix.

I really want to see CC do well but first I think they need to start off with a solid schedule and bring in stability.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1999189)   #19
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Fair enough Luke but I misinterpreted what you said, which was
Quote:
I took your "as" to mean "in much the same way" rather than how actually you meant it.

With you now and fair comment made above, although I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on Lausitz - local mismanagement on that one I think.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:20 (Ref:1999210)   #20
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

At the start of the season it was all the 24-26 cars stuff

Where did all that go? And now races are falling off the calendar! Well, at least the Champ Car bosses can nominate themselves for a comedy award again

I wonder how the negotiations between Champ Car and the Comedy Channel are going for the TV deal next season

What a laugh
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:28 (Ref:1999217)   #21
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82
I'm just wondering, could this decision have been helped by the fact that Bourdais is moving to F1?
In a word: no. The economy over here is very shaky at the moment and most companies are suddenly being very, very careful with how they invest their money. Racing is invariably hurt by it. I watched it happen before during the run-up to the financial recession in the early '90s. CART survived that one. IMSA did not.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:35 (Ref:1999223)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

At the start of the season it was all the 24-26 cars stuff

Where did all that go? And now races are falling off the calendar! Well, at least the Champ Car bosses can nominate themselves for a comedy award again

I wonder how the negotiations between Champ Car and the Comedy Channel are going for the TV deal next season

What a laugh
Welcome back stradlin.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:55 (Ref:1999233)   #23
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflagger
In a word: no. The economy over here is very shaky at the moment and most companies are suddenly being very, very careful with how they invest their money. Racing is invariably hurt by it. I watched it happen before during the run-up to the financial recession in the early '90s. CART survived that one. IMSA did not.
I can only assume you are referrencing the Sub Prime Mortgage collapse. The recency of this, is such that it just isn't possible to blame a collapse of a race on it. Prudent management would have seen funding (or the majority of it) in place before even announcing such an event. An event falling apart, due to economic repercussions started within months of a race, show imprudence at best.

It is likely that there is more to this, than what we have seen so far.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:04 (Ref:1999238)   #24
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imprudence is the correct word Fogelhund. But then racing is an imprudent business in the first place.

The Arizona group did not have all their sponsorship secured in beginning. Why would any serious company sponsor an event before the location was secure? The location wasn't secured until most companies would have had their 2007 budget already approved. Sure, there are exceptions to those budgeting rules, but not in a shaky economy (and yes, I mean sub-prime lending, which actually started their collapse late last year). In a solid economy, a company would be more willing to make room in a budget for current-year event sponsorship but not with things as they stand now.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 15:23 (Ref:1999251)   #25
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Welcome back stradlin.
I couldn’t stay away after hearing this superb story

I’ve just got to my desk today after working for hours and hours in the blazing sun in high vis clothing and I have to say that this story has cheered me up no end

The question is, and you’ll love this Luke

Is this now a dying series?