Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 May 2004, 03:20 (Ref:967157)   #1
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM in China

This is the website promoting the event.
http://www.planeast.com/intr_1.htm

Apparently they are going to run the race around the streets of Pudong and not going to the Shanghai F1 Circuit. The layout looks really uninteresting, all are similar 90 degree corners.

The celebrities' race looks dodgy because Jackie Chan is going to run a female celebrities' race at the Shanghai F1 Circuit just 2 weeks before. All the novelty value will be explored by that.

It looks like the DTM should have gone to the F1 circuit instead. Anyway this street race really doesn't look very likely.
Old 11 May 2004, 10:20 (Ref:967431)   #2
SFonseca
Veteran

Portugal
Canelas, Portugal
SFonseca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Estoril round I heard that Opel isn't very interested to run there because they sell their cars with Buick brand , not Opel.
Old 11 May 2004, 14:28 (Ref:967706)   #3
transeuropexpre
Rookie

transeuropexpre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pudong is the international airport wich is linked to the city center with the high speed train, is it not ?

" At Estoril round I heard that Opel isn't very interested to run there because they sell their cars with Buick brand , not Opel "
This is a reason within many why the dtm won't go longer than the itc did.
Old 11 May 2004, 16:39 (Ref:967837)   #4
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to GM's website, Opels are now imported into China as well. http://www.gmchina.com/products/buick/english/

So all 3 makes do sell the cars they racing in China! However, of the 3, Opel definitely has the least market recognition. So in fact, Opel should have the most incentive for pushing a China race!!
Old 11 May 2004, 18:29 (Ref:967977)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by transeuropexpre
Pudong is the international airport wich is linked to the city center with the high speed train, is it not ?

" At Estoril round I heard that Opel isn't very interested to run there because they sell their cars with Buick brand , not Opel "
This is a reason within many why the dtm won't go longer than the itc did.
Why not put a Buick banner on the car? I thaught GM used their Cheverolet brand in the "new" countries. If I am right they sell Daewoo cars as Chevrolets in East-Europe.
Old 11 May 2004, 20:38 (Ref:968102)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see the problem, Opel were still happy to race in the UK ?
Old 12 May 2004, 01:40 (Ref:968274)   #7
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pudong is a district in Shanghai. The airport is at Pudong but at least half an hour away from where the proposed circuit is.

I now hear they have problems constructing the pits and so on at Pudong simply because there is no space available.

Also, the DTM had wanted to run at the F1 Circuit but it is not allowed to do so before F1 runs on it in Sept.
Old 13 May 2004, 06:25 (Ref:969474)   #8
kmchow
Veteran

Now that the new Vectra/Astra is being imported to China as an Opel--not Buick--I think Opel should race in China. Ditto for Audi/MB which have their respective cars being driven around in China now!!
Old 13 May 2004, 08:06 (Ref:969533)   #9
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
someone said(i think it was haug, not sure though) if they race in shanghai there could be some more of the older cars on the grid and that it will be a 2 race event without pitstops

Last edited by flor; 13 May 2004 at 08:06.
Old 13 May 2004, 15:49 (Ref:969979)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by flor
someone said(i think it was haug, not sure though) if they race in shanghai there could be some more of the older cars on the grid and that it will be a 2 race event without pitstops
Hmm, I wonder what does he mean? Would more 2 doors coupes replace the 4 door sedans? Are they afraid something bad would happen to them in Shanghai so they'd rather risk loss to the older spec cars? Or is he suggesting the grids would actually grow b/c local drivers would get to take the seat in some of the older cars? Interesting comments...
Old 13 May 2004, 16:08 (Ref:969994)   #11
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
I don't see the problem, Opel were still happy to race in the UK ?
I won't swear to this, but I'm pretty sure that when the 'old' DTM/ITC came over to Britain in the 90's, for at least one of the UK races, the Calibras wore Vauxhall rather than Opel branding- In a similar vein, when the BTCC Vectras went to Bathurst in 98, one car ran as a Vauxhall, the other as a Holden
Old 17 May 2004, 17:48 (Ref:973618)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DTM Website: China race is on

Well, not a flight of fancy anymore - the DTM will race in China in two months time.