Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team GB Fans Choice

Firstly I think Robbie Kerr is doing a reasonable job for Team GB,

BUT

Who would the fans most like to see representing GB in this series?

Personally I would go for Jamie Green or Lewis Hamilton.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1476918)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Theres several drivers who I think would do a fantastic job, personally though id go for Justin Wilson and Lewis Hamilton/Dan Wheldon.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 20:20 (Ref:1476920)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Due to the clashing dates issue, you probably have to ignore drivers who have (or had) commitments elsewhere.

The drivers for Team GB appear to have been picked partly for that reason. Remember Adam Carroll turned the invitation to test. I would like to have seen Danny Watts given a chance as he is only semi-active, but still up to speed and good at developing cars, e.g the 04 F3 Lola.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 22:04 (Ref:1476972)   #4
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Matt Davies. He did well in F3 in 2001 until his budget ran out.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1476981)   #5
mike_slh
Rookie

Denmark
Plymouth
mike_slh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paffett or Hamilton
Old 6 Dec 2005, 02:06 (Ref:1477920)   #6
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Westley Barber, Suzie Stoddart, Tim Bridgman, Mike Conway, Jonathan Kennard
Old 6 Dec 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1477999)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Underachievers united there, Andy
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1478025)   #8
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've not seen an Autosport for 12 months, but last time I looked, Mike Conway was breaking F.Renault lap records all over the place?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:45 (Ref:1478051)   #9
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
....Alex Lloyd? Who knows, he's not even been in the car yet.

It could be cool getting Lewis in, but would it actually 'help' his career?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1478181)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydickens
I've not seen an Autosport for 12 months, but last time I looked, Mike Conway was breaking F.Renault lap records all over the place?
shame he grew up and went to f3. he's a bit more... where he should be now.

i think it depends whether we actually want to win this thing or give drivers who are skint the chance.

i'd like us to win it, but in spectacular fashion. therefore i reckon i'd like to see adam carroll in the drive. however, i think lewis hamilton might be interesting to have.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1478216)   #11
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its interesting how different everyone's opinions of drivers are!

I think it would be a bit premature to put Hamilton in this year (perhaps next after he's done GP2).
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:13 (Ref:1478219)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Almost anybody looks spectacular in those cars!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 14:39 (Ref:1478290)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah but it's a decent... tamed hooligan who can drive them fast without stacking it in an unfortunate way
Old 6 Dec 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1478320)   #14
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are only going to use one driver, then clashing commitments could be a factor, albeit a relatively minor one, like Shimoda's or Firman's situation. If you have 2 drivers in your stable, there shouldn't be a problem.

However, if you're not party to that, and clashing commitments/permission to race isn't a problem, then you'd start with Button, Wheldon, Coulthard, etc etc - proven current race and development drivers - and work down. I personally think I would start with proven quantites, in what is a national team, and bring on the younger guys on the back of that, just like you do with fottball teams. That will give you a degree of continuity, and hopefully an edge, in future seasons.

Whilst it's nice to be able to offer a shoot-out and a drive to someone who may not have the financial resources of others, this isn't a training ground, nor a charity - there is a lot of prize money at stake. The goal is to win. The team want the best drivers they can get on side - in all areas.

To be able to choose drivers on merit alone is pretty unique (which is a stupid expression, sorry, like being a bit pregnant) certainly at this level. You choose the ones you feel should ultimately be the best, from the choice you have available. There are many drivers available, clashing commitments are not really an issue if you have 2 drivers, and therefore have the situation covered ... what's probably more relevant is if the drivers' management allows them to participate.

By default, you'll choose favourite drivers on the back of their current performances, whilst the underfunded drivers don't have the luxury of being able to race either competitively or at all. So the only way you can really evaluate drivers is on the basis of a test/shoot-out.

I think the ethos was to be able to choose drivers who the "panel" felt had the potential to learn quickly and to win (because that is unquestionably the aim) over those who may be more well-funded and therefore current (and who should be initially quicker). To pick the ones with the best potential, not necessarily quickest out of the blocks, and I think Robbie is demonstrating that. He was only 2/10ths off France's pace in the last race. I very much doubt that, whoever you put in the car, be it Button or whoever, will get to that stage straight away. I don't see how you could argue with the choice of Robbie, to be honest - he's doing what you'd expect, and still improving, and I'm not sure Hamilton or Green or Carroll or whoever could jump in the car and go quicker than Brazil or France or indeed Switzerland, etc.

Although I'm partisan, I also wouldn't argue with the choice of Alex as the next driver. They were both the unanimous choices of the team following the shoot out, and are clearly both extremely quick drivers. Alex's big problem is that, although he's shown himself to be a quick learner too, he desperately needs time in the seat ... any competitive seat. To put it into perspective, Robbie has already had significantly more races and time in the seat in A1GP so far, than Alex has had in any car in the last 2+ years. Alex desperately needs to race next year - he's still only 20, as people point out, with time on his side, but that alone doesn't get you a drive, nor does being quickest in shoot-outs, only money does. You can only demonstrate potential without money, you can't realise it.

So I'd stick with the current line up myself. I'd be interesting to see if the Greens or Hamiltons or whoever, who are "current" drivers, could just jump in to the TeamBGR car and be quicker than Robbie is, now, but I'd be surprised if they were. And they won't be allowed to, so I'm wearing my fingertips out for nothing really.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1478343)   #15
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think Hamilton is worth a shot for a race or two. His dominance of Euro F3 this year, coupled with his good GP2 pace could be what we need to get team GB on the top step. France are flying right now, someone needs to knock them off their perch. Kerr has done a great job for us, don't get me wrong but everything Hamilton touchs at the minute seems to turn to gold! I'd like Paffett and Green to get a chance at some point too.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1478408)   #16
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do they all need to be young guns ? I think one young gun seat and one old hand seat would make for great spectacle/comparison. There's plenty of good suggestions for young guns above, so I'll just concentrate on the [relative] oldies. How about Kelvin Burt ? He's incredibly talented, should have had an F1 drive long ago but his quiet shy demeanour's left him fiddling around at club level. Warren Hughes is very quick as well, so too Darren Turner. Jos Verstappen's not doing amazingly well at it, but it would be really interesting to see how a few more 'might have beens' work out.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 01:25 (Ref:1479318)   #17
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I believe one of the most 'naturally' talented guys to have come through here in England, but run out of money, despite being a major force immediately in F/Renault was Colin Brown. Doubt many know who he is, but you ask Lewis Hamilton, or Clivio Piccione what they think about his talent. Few would know who he is, but, trust me, he'd be worth a test.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 18:24 (Ref:1479901)   #18
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Brown, Yeah Ex Formula A Karter who raced on the continent most of the time.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1480282)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Colin Brown was incredible in karting and great in F-Renault. He's sorta got 'lost' in the same way multiple world champion and Italian-from-Barnsleyman Mike Wilson did in the 1980s.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 09:57 (Ref:1480304)   #20
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton, Hamilton, Hamilton.
Old 9 Dec 2005, 13:54 (Ref:1480469)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Since Hamilton wasn't allowed to do Macau, which he would almost certainly have won, I see no chance of his management letting him into an A1GP car at this stage in the season. Ditto Paffett.

Someone mentioned Alan McNish. He would be a useful guy to test the car, because he's good enough to give accurate feedback after a relatively short period of running, which is all he would get. We need to know where Arden are with the car. Getting closer seems to be the answer, but it would be very useful to have a valid second opinion.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1503426)   #22
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I haven't really been keeping up with A1GP and may have missed something, but I thought Alex Lloyd was supposed to be racing for GB and I haven't heard anything on that front for a while. Is he supposed to be taking over from Kerr? Also, how come Katherine Legge had a practice on one of the race weekends and Alex hasn't yet?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1503457)   #23
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i dont see why team gb dosnt alternate the drivers like team austrailia then at least they both get a go in the cars
Old 18 Jan 2006, 00:38 (Ref:1503474)   #24
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My feelings are why waste a good talent on a mediocre(Im dyslexic)series?

Robbie Kerr is not good enough, against the likes of Nelson Piquet, we need someone who has been there done it like the Netherland have with Verstappen!

Peter Dumbreck?
Ryan Sharp?
Oliver Gavin?

they have forged international careers, older and wiser is what we need!

Not Lewis Hamilton, that would hold him back! and no way Paffett!
Old 18 Jan 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1503617)   #25
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
Sorry I haven't really been keeping up with A1GP and may have missed something, but I thought Alex Lloyd was supposed to be racing for GB and I haven't heard anything on that front for a while. Is he supposed to be taking over from Kerr? Also, how come Katherine Legge had a practice on one of the race weekends and Alex hasn't yet?
Lloyd hasn't done a race, Robbie's done them all. Legge did a run in a practise - have a look back and dig around, there's loads of discussion about it somewhere.

Try here for Legge for starters http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...atherine+legge
Lloyd stuff is all mixed in more in various topics - just search.