Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 13 Dec 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1789966)   #101
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was decent enough.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1790627)   #102
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the performance on Sunday I found Kerr's effort mystifying - spectacular and quick on occasion but prone to awful mistakes. Since I don't know any better I'll be kind and blame the misfire.

But of course he did make that kind of mistake in Qual4 too didn't he......
Old 14 Dec 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1790727)   #103
nev
Racer

nev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
Watching the performance on Sunday I found Kerr's effort mystifying - spectacular and quick on occasion but prone to awful mistakes. Since I don't know any better I'll be kind and blame the misfire.

But of course he did make that kind of mistake in Qual4 too didn't he......

with the mistake in qual 4 he still managed to better his times to be able to get second on the grid !!

apparently his car was stepping out quite alot under braking which didn't help
Old 14 Dec 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1790797)   #104
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1791418)   #105
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nev
with the mistake in qual 4 he still managed to better his times to be able to get second on the grid !!

apparently his car was stepping out quite alot under braking which didn't help
Agreed actually about qualifying but that made the performance all the more infuriating. He clearly should have been on pole because he was fast enough, but he made that mistake and it cost him a little. Sums up my view of him really - quick on occasion but inconsistent. If he could iron out the mistakes it can only help.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 20:55 (Ref:1791727)   #106
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well Germany's 'new Schumacher' made mistakes too, along with a lot of other drivers (Jani, etc.). Frankly in one-lap qualifying its pretty normal or they're not close enough to the limit. Its how you deal with the mistake (i.e. not lose much time) that matters.

Sentul was the first time I remember him not finishing an A1 race due to a mistake ... in fact even that may not have been his fault but we'll never know.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 00:26 (Ref:1791845)   #107
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I can't imagine Robbie Kerr making a mistake to be honest.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 04:13 (Ref:1792479)   #108
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are not a cynic are you knowlesy?
Old 22 Dec 2006, 18:44 (Ref:1797861)   #109
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Manning has been signed to race full time in IndyCar for Foyt next season so that may limit his A1GP chances
Old 23 Dec 2006, 23:05 (Ref:1798511)   #110
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21
Manning has been signed to race full time in IndyCar for Foyt next season so that may limit his A1GP chances
Last I read was that Team GB were waiting to hear how Manning's drive would affect his availability for A1. Like I've said here before I would be very very suprised to see him drive again, except possibly the home race. I suspect Manning is a (slightly) bigger draw than the other two UNLESS either Oli or Robbie win between now and then.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 15:18 (Ref:1799428)   #111
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think were making the same mistake we made last year putting all our eggs in Kerr's basket. The team has two drivers, why not use them the way the French did last year, and with great success i may add. There needs to be good competition for the race seat or a specified program of drives for each driver. Otherwise what is the point of having the second driver. Lloyd didn't even get to go to most of the races last year, let alone drive the car. Now we see J Reid winning races, and this is a guy who Lloyd beat comprehensively as a teammate in F3000 a couple of years ago. Lets see Jarvis given a proper opportunity to establish how quick he is against Kerr. If he proves to be the quicker he should have his chance. Perhaps this is to do with the fact that Surtees supports Kerr in WSR ?.
Old 26 Dec 2006, 20:23 (Ref:1799521)   #112
madmed
Rookie

madmed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They want to keep Jarvis for the rookie sessions. If he drive more than 3 races he will not be able to participate to these sessions.
Old 28 Dec 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1800822)   #113
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
Perhaps this is to do with the fact that Surtees supports Kerr in WSR ?.

it wasn't surtees who put Kerr in wsr nor is it surtees who decides who drives !!
If Jarvis was quicker than Kerr in the practice sessions he would stand more of a chance of getting the drive, but hes not. Jarvis doesn't play the team game either, he keeps telling people that he wants the seat rather than wanting to provide good feedback for the team to help the lead driver. When you listen to other teams they speak of thier role helping the team.
It wont be long till Jarvis pulls the "or ill walk ou speech". I think he will be getting annoyed with not getting the drive and give the team an ultimatum. in my opinion
Old 28 Dec 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1800830)   #114
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As i understand it is a partner of Surtees who is financing Kerr's WSR program on the advice of Surtees.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 00:36 (Ref:1800853)   #115
nev
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
As i understand it is a partner of Surtees who is financing Kerr's WSR program on the advice of Surtees.
I think you will find that surtees has no stake in the program whatso ever but there are more than one financial backers and maybe one of them is a friend of surtees.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 09:08 (Ref:1801011)   #116
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
France had great success last year due to having two decent drivers in a car far superior to all others except Switzerland.

Reid is having success in a car engineered by the same person that looked after France last year. Their only equal competition is Germany.

All cars in A1 GP are not equal ... sadly GB seem to be 'best of the rest' again (after NZ and Germany), along with France in my opinion. I'd hoped the advantage would have been eliminated completely this year but it hasn't (although its smaller). I fear we'll see Germany and NZ pull clear of the rest of the field as the season progresses.

If you want to assess how a driver is doing you should probably compare the rest of the field, rather than include Ger/NZ.
Old 29 Dec 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1801144)   #117
ISPL
Rookie

United Kingdom
ISPL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab
France had great success last year due to having two decent drivers in a car far superior to all others except Switzerland.

If you want to assess how a driver is doing you should probably compare the rest of the field, rather than include Ger/NZ.
I couldn't agree more. You only have to look at Lapierre's results this season to see how well Kerr (and the rest of team GB) are doing.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 13:40 (Ref:1803466)   #118
Sid The Manager
Racer

Sid The Manager should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the risk of being accused of (a) being Robbie,(a few stone too heavy) or (b) being totally biased, my thoughts on a lot of the posts. I know Robbie well, I know Oli and Darren, but not so well and I am close to a couple of A1GP teams through work. The cars vary a lot from session to session and seem to be very frustrating to work with. Last year GB had a lot of issues affecting how the car ran, as did KTR this year in WSR. I have watched Robbie drive from 14th on the grid to win in FRV6 in Valencia, and worked with him through his F3 years and I know just how good he is. I still think he is the best driver available to team GB. I know Nev, who is a good friend, and obviously a great fan of Robbies, and I also know Jinnxy, so know why he is bitter about Alexs experiences with A1, I wish Alex all the luck in USA, but sincerely believe that in the A1 car he wasn't as good as Robbie.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 16:48 (Ref:1803737)   #119
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid The Manager
At the risk of being accused of (a) being Robbie,(a few stone too heavy) or (b) being totally biased, my thoughts on a lot of the posts. I know Robbie well, I know Oli and Darren, but not so well and I am close to a couple of A1GP teams through work. The cars vary a lot from session to session and seem to be very frustrating to work with. Last year GB had a lot of issues affecting how the car ran, as did KTR this year in WSR. I have watched Robbie drive from 14th on the grid to win in FRV6 in Valencia, and worked with him through his F3 years and I know just how good he is. I still think he is the best driver available to team GB. I know Nev, who is a good friend, and obviously a great fan of Robbies, and I also know Jinnxy, so know why he is bitter about Alexs experiences with A1, I wish Alex all the luck in USA, but sincerely believe that in the A1 car he wasn't as good as Robbie.
It's a bit difficult to tell if Alex was a quick as Robbie since if i remember correctly he only drove it twice and with very limited running.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 16:48 (Ref:1803736)   #120
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid The Manager
It's a bit difficult to tell if Alex was a quick as Robbie since if i remember correctly he only drove it twice and with very limited running.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 16:50 (Ref:1803739)   #121
Sid The Manager
Racer

no need to repeat yourself foreversideways
(joke by the way)
Old 2 Jan 2007, 16:52 (Ref:1803741)   #122
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Good one Sid. Don't know how that happened. Happy New Year to all, by the way.
Old 2 Jan 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1803778)   #123
Sid The Manager
Racer

Something else people seem to either be blind to or forget is that some drivers are comfortable in one sort of car and not another, I'm thinking of the Priaulx comments in here, Andy is brilliant in a touring car, possibly the worlds best, but he never looked as comfortable in a single seater. How many single seat carers have ground to a halt with drivers seeming to run out of talent, later to be stars in sportscars (even good prototypes which nowadays aren't that far removed from single seaters)
Old 2 Jan 2007, 18:48 (Ref:1803868)   #124
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

So we can expect to see Robbie in sportscars soon?
Old 2 Jan 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1804250)   #125
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Robbie in sportscars? Would be interesting, he could probably do reasonably well as he normally gets the car to the finish and has a decent turn of speed. Personally I dont see his single seater career going any further, I hope im wrong but time will tell. 2007 will be a make or break season for Kerr though, is he still in the WSR? Its now or never.