Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 22 Jan 2007, 03:29 (Ref:1821414)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ticketek always botches up the whole ticketing process!
Old 22 Jan 2007, 06:08 (Ref:1821444)   #52
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Intrepid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mate of mind had the exact same experience with the gold tickets! He was pretty gutted about the ordeal also.

Awesome weekend though, was fortunate enough to get down on the pit apron with the teams and rub shoulders with the teams. To me though it seems that only a few countries are really in this championship, France, NZ, Germany, Netherlands, GB and Switzerland seem to be a class above the rest.

The Porsche GT3 races really stood out for me, Fabian, Baird and Halliday were so smooth through the esses onto the front straight, no one were as smooth as them. Cockerton and Armstrong did very well though.
Old 22 Jan 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1821458)   #53
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ticketec what a joke we 2 had problems with them.and we were workin. all I got to get in was passess to gate 6. plus we used our season pass for our club races. the racing was awesome. when thats 1st car came out I was up in the clubhouse. it shot passed at about 280km.+.so cool.later on in the damorning they all came.a sound unique to me. I got to go round the circuit in the safty car, to deliver water to my troops.whent passed the standswhata sight.colors of the rain bow. proud to be involved with it all. little ole NZ pulled it off.even met some 10/10thspeople. that was great to see someone that you had never met before.evn gave them passes to get to where I go . fun fun for all .
Old 22 Jan 2007, 07:20 (Ref:1821461)   #54
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only viewing from the tv but I must say it looked like a well executed event. Track looked picture perfect and the on track racing was pretty good. A tight track but overtaking possible if you had the balls and the car placement. Sprint race outdid the feature race for once.

Well done to the NZ public to for embracing A1, now for Australia's chance. No doubt NZ has it all over us there
Old 22 Jan 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1822283)   #55
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Only viewing from the tv but I must say it looked like a well executed event. Track looked picture perfect and the on track racing was pretty good. A tight track but overtaking possible if you had the balls and the car placement. Sprint race outdid the feature race for once.

Well done to the NZ public to for embracing A1, now for Australia's chance. No doubt NZ has it all over us there
Actually, at the track, the general feeling was that the sprint race was pretty boring...apart from several drivers unable to take the last chicane that fed onto the front straight - which is where we sat and had the bonus of a big screen. Yours truly actually nodded off about 10 laps into the feature race.... whoopsk!

At least for the Australian round, the fly-pass might be something an ant's diddle more spectacular than a lone Hercules.....
Old 23 Jan 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1822341)   #56
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got back from Taupo yeaterday. Had a fantastic time.

The biggest revelation was just how freaking LOUD an A1 car is! Now I know why they call it 'full noise'!

Had seats just at short of the braking zone at the end of the back straight. Great views of about 95% of the circuit. Fascinating viewing during final practice of the drivers homing in on the latest possible braking point, from the 150 board in the first few laps while warming up, to the 100, than the bravest few pushing it beyond and towards the 50. Latest (successful)braking I saw was Jonny Reid on his fastest quali lap (Q3?) - on the absolute limit of grip turning left into the ss but still smooth.

Great performance from Jonny and the team. Nico Hulkenberg was scarily smooth and fast. Jonny clearly had more pace than the french at times, judging by the cars starting to back up behind them while Nico disappeared. Enjoyed watching Robbie Kerr's driving - aggressive and muscular, entertaining if not always successful.

Agree the access to pits and drivers could've been better. The best contact with a 'track celeb' was a photo of me with Bob McMurray! (Kiwi posters will know who he is - and McLaren insiders).

I'll definitely be back.

Oh, and quote of the day from toungue-tied track announcer Phil Dark:

"Coming up next the prestigious and pompous opening ceremony!"

tj
Old 23 Jan 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1822538)   #57
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The A1GP song is totally naff too.Especially when played endlessly.

Quote:
more spectacular than a lone Hercules
Errr thats our whole air force in one place at the same time.

The feature race was boring but interesting,actually the Formula Toyota race was the best open wheeler racing of the day.A few guys in that would be looking at Jonny's seat.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 14:02 (Ref:1823811)   #58
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there as well, sitting not far from thejester at the pit lane entrance.
the ticketek organisation was actually miles better than what I have experienced at Sepang and Beijing, mind you it could not have been any worse...
I am surprised that I have come home and got online to find positive comments about the racing. I was disappointed after five laps to realise that there was not going to be much overtaking. From the grandstand it looked like the Hungaroring of A1. I was not going to bother about the TV replay, but I will now.
The track and facilities are fantastic for New Zealand. There needs to be more shelter for spectators but I suppose you cannot have everything. The support races were indeed great, especially the Formula Toyotas.
The security were a bit anal which was disappointing for a normally laid back country like New Zealand.
Big thanks to Mitzidude for a pass. It allowed me to get some shots in the pitlane which I would not have got otherwise. I am currently knackered after an overnight flight from NZ back to China but will post an image gallery and/or blog on the weekend.

Kiwi3
Old 23 Jan 2007, 20:51 (Ref:1824063)   #59
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
yeah whata joke that was the whole NZ air force in ne fly by. must admitt though pretty low.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 22:02 (Ref:1824114)   #60
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, yes, I'd forgotten that A1Gp song...how sick must the drivers get of having that blaring out every time they do a pre race parade?
Old 23 Jan 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1824137)   #61
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
The A1GP song is totally naff too.Especially when played endlessly.

Errr thats our whole air force in one place at the same time.

The feature race was boring but interesting,actually the Formula Toyota race was the best open wheeler racing of the day.A few guys in that would be looking at Jonny's seat.
There was 5, if not 6, Hercules sitting on the tarmac at Napier Airport on Sunday night. I'm guessing that they aren't made for formation flying......but even 2 Skyhawks would have been nice!!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 04:34 (Ref:1824323)   #62
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
5 of the Hercules would have been unservicable so they would have sent the one left flyable to Taupo.
Skyhawks are in a museum somewhere.

Most open wheeler races I've watched over the years are boring,but at the races at least you can see the whole feild and see the other battles going on further down the field.And you could also see how far behind the Australian car was.
Watching Hulkenburg was similar to watching Keke Rosberg slay the feild 30 odd years ago.
It was a great day and hopefully its all done again next year.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 06:05 (Ref:1824345)   #63
Fan Car Freddy
Rookie

New Zealand
Pukekohe
Fan Car Freddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Taupo

An interesting weekend, my son and I took in all 3 days. Tickets took a month to arrive from A1GP in London after avoiding ticketek here due to worries about past failures. Got a parking pass across the counter 3 days before through Ticketek as we were assured on the site that it would avoid holdups at the gates. No such thing. The 3 cars in front of me paid at the gate and held us up longer the the other 2 random queues. No big deal but don't us about this sort of thing.

The parking was very handy and the organisation generally very good for an inaugural event. After watching a few practice sessions and a race or two it was evident that the essentially new circuit could have been a lot better designed. Too many fast corners and not enough overtaking spots. We were well located at the end of the main straight with a good view of the track but most of the single-seater races were processions (yes I too nodded off during the main A1GP race, so you weren't alone mate). The V8s were probably the best value for entertainment.

Hulkenburg was hugely impressive as also was Duvall. Both look to have bright futures. Tomas Enge's style was fun to watch if not always fruitful.

Highlight of the weekend was a brief encounter over a pit gate with a couple of legends whose autographs my son will always treasure - Emerson Fittipaldi (who took the ex-Hulme M23 for a spin) and Sir Jack Brabham (likewise with a Cooper-Climax, while wearing just slacks and a bomber jacket !!). Priceless stuff, I had no idea either were there at taupo and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw them standing right next to me !

Some brickbats - 3 Coffee vendors for the entire circuit is simply not enough. I counted 43 thirsty customers at my nearest outlet on Sunday (yes, most were probably Jaffas). That's a failure of serious proportions for some spectators although it gave me the chance to chat to a few of the other spectators. Heard plenty of stories like those mentioned early of people who paid for Gold Premium tickets at several hundred dollars expense who ended up sitting next to people who paid general admission on the Sunday for just $60. I can tell now these people attended their first and last A1GP.

A bouquet - the food available was varied, fresh and not wildly over-priced as it often can be at such events where you are essentially a captive buyer. Good choice of reasonably priced grog too.

Lastly and this is a biggie. The seats were excruciatingly uncomfortable. And everyone who sat within spitting distance of us felt the same. They were made (presumably in China) to seat 10yo Asian schoolgirls not Kiwi blokes and sheilas. I might bring a cushion next time and put up with it for a day, but 3 days - no way ! A minor cost saving for a major comfort factor ensured many who sat around us won't be back unless the seating is improved.

Last edited by Asp; 24 Jan 2007 at 11:57. Reason: Please don't dodge the auto-censor
Old 24 Jan 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1824371)   #64
Armco Bender
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Lastly and this is a biggie. The seats were excruciatingly uncomfortable. And everyone who sat within spitting distance of us felt the same. They were made (presumably in China) to seat 10yo Asian schoolgirls not Kiwi blokes and sheilas. I might bring a cushion next time and put up with it for a day, but 3 days - no way ! A minor cost saving for a major comfort factor ensured many who sat around us won't be back unless the seating is improved

Good to hear I'm not the only person there who thought they had a fat bum,luckily there was an empty seat next to me and I could sit across 2,but without that it would have been like sitting 9 hours in a rugby scrum.
If the seatings not adressed a lot of people would watch it on TV next year.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1828089)   #65
Just Do It!
Veteran

I have just learnt that tickets were being given out in Taupo on Saturday night to ensure nice full stands on the Sunday....again told by disgruntled Gold Pass Holders.....who had lanyards still around their necks holding their tickets, yet were still offered free passes.

Maybe the audience attendance was very much a "Tupperware" tally after all?

Its pretty damn concerning when organisers will do that to make their event look like its a roaring success......and it makes you wonder about the whole credibility of the rest of the events and the whole series.

Is A1 the series for the "pauper" rich who can't play in F1?
Old 28 Jan 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1828147)   #66
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
you talk about the food being varied..... the vollunteer lunches were crap. so much for catering people there who were supposed to be quality,quality. and the coffee carts that were normally there , were relegated to the outer rim. support class pits. and yet at the other end of the circuit the food was good. next time I'm packin my own food. ( Idid anyway.)
Old 29 Jan 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1828424)   #67
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mitzi dude - it was definitely a circuit of two halves.
Just do it - where did you hear that? The attendance at the circuit on Saturday was good compared to saturdays at other circuits, so I thought they would have been relaxed about sunday. In the event however it was a bit disappointing that there were spare seats. I was mouthing off for months saying it was sure to be a sellout.

All you needed to get into the best seats was a general admission ticket plus a $20 paddock pass by the way.
Old 29 Jan 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1828432)   #68
Just Do It!
Veteran

The whole ticketing just plain sucked.

It was from a guy who hasn't been to a motor racing meeting since there used to be racing at Levin. He thinks the last race meeting he went to prior to the A1 was Manfeild's 2nd ever meeting!

He won't be back unless I can get him plush Supercar tickets.

It's sad really that people buy things in good faith, underwritten by the supremely wealthy, only to get crapped on as the common man due to a need to make the supremely wealthy's event look plush and right.

Of course, the supremely wealthy never come out in public and justify their reasons which is sad
Old 29 Jan 2007, 10:45 (Ref:1828437)   #69
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
I have just learnt that tickets were being given out in Taupo on Saturday night to ensure nice full stands on the Sunday....again told by disgruntled Gold Pass Holders.....who had lanyards still around their necks holding their tickets, yet were still offered free passes.

Maybe the audience attendance was very much a "Tupperware" tally after all?
You are not insinuating that A1 events are the only sporting events that hand out freebies are you ?
Old 29 Jan 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1828818)   #70
Just Do It!
Veteran

Heck no, A1 GP even offer to hand out freebie entry to blatant ticket holders. Whoops!!

Sure, every event gives away passes for promotion, but not to fill stands so that the event looks like a roaring success....otherwise, it won't be an event for long!
Old 29 Jan 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1828869)   #71
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
I reckon you'll be able to count the overtaking moves on one hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi dude
I have driven the track and I love it there is about 4 or 5 places U can pass on it
Obviously not it would seem.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1829294)   #72
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
slippry dont quite get what you mean . we have a meet on Feb 10th/ 11th. care to come down and I will show you. that mate is free tickets. the offer is there for you.want to take it up.??
Old 30 Jan 2007, 10:41 (Ref:1829301)   #73
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
about the free ticket issues. yes they were giving out freebees. about 3 to 5000. Im told.and from where I was standing on p6 you could still see some gaps in the stands. But the A1 bosses were happy with how the meeting went. they say it was the biggest meet they have had this season so far. so they will be back next year. planning is now in proccess.
Old 30 Jan 2007, 11:20 (Ref:1829332)   #74
D.R.T.
Veteran

What were the weekend crowd numbers in the end?
Old 30 Jan 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1829623)   #75
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi dude
slippry dont quite get what you mean .
Well, reading the posts prior to mine would suggest that there was no overtaking of any note. Quite how anyone expected that circuit to provide overtaking opportunities for single seaters at that level is beyond me.

Giving out free tickets to fill the stands is last gasp. Bit of a smack in the face for all those who paid for theirs don't you think.

As for A1 returning next year, let's wait and see the confirmed calendar before suggesting that plans are already underway for their return.