Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 26 Feb 2002, 09:24 (Ref:222757)   #76
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Luke, welcome to the forum.

Good luck for the season.

Old 26 Feb 2002, 10:55 (Ref:222801)   #77
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had some entry forms from Chris but nothing from the BRSCC. how did you find the Avons better Luke? Wear rate, grip, handling?

I assume the wets will be good as they are hand grooved slicks?
Old 26 Feb 2002, 22:56 (Ref:223279)   #78
kpm
Rookie

kpm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Formula Vee?
Old 26 Feb 2002, 23:14 (Ref:223296)   #79
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey Luke,
dont know if you remember me from mono last year. I was one of the cars in the 1600 class. (white with blue stripe over top who was upset with you at Rockingham for lapping me just before we finished) lol
As for tyres i have found that although they may be a differant compound to the avons in which i used last year ,(classic F3)they were softer when new but wore better than expexted. I used to run on Bridgestones but found them to roll so much on the rim and the avons more predictable. I have driven an F3 on radials and the grip levels take longer to come in but do last longer. The crossplies i found came in quicker but could go off. Dont know why im telling you this as you are more experienced than me prob anyway. Its just that some other members may not understand the differance in tyre compounds and composition.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 13:22 (Ref:224394)   #80
Luke Kidsley
Rookie

Luke Kidsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lolo, i remember you now. The Dunlop tyres if i remember correctly took a good 10 laps to get to its full potential, and even then they still didnt handle that good. With the Avons however i found it would take about 3-4 laps before they were gripping and I just found them better overall. It might be true that they do wear out quicker but I couldnt say for sure. What I do know, is that I did 8 rounds last year on the same set of Avon tyres (which were 2 years old anyway) and i was doing alright with them at the end of the season. But this is just my opinion, I think alot of you will be suprised of how good they are.
Old 28 Feb 2002, 19:22 (Ref:224657)   #81
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my first run on them yesterday at Mallory and thought they were much better than the Dunlops. Makes a world of difference to the handling of the car and after a whole mornings running they were still brilliant. First class tyre! Can't wait till Cadwell now. Well, once I get the gearbox repaired
Old 1 Mar 2002, 00:49 (Ref:224874)   #82
DSMJUNIOR
Rookie

DSMJUNIOR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 year old tyres, Luke? Jeez, I didn't know you were that good!!!!! What happened to the g/box Andy? we're going to Snet this w/e. Hope our car stays in one piece this time!!
Old 1 Mar 2002, 03:30 (Ref:224921)   #83
Luke Kidsley
Rookie

Luke Kidsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not that good. I guess I was just very lucky.
Old 1 Mar 2002, 08:31 (Ref:224984)   #84
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
We think it was the selector rod in the gearbox has just worn out. It ran the first half of the morning fine but then just started popping out of gears when coming down the box and then wouldn't engage.

Good luck at Snetterton. Hope everything goes OK!
Old 9 Mar 2002, 15:29 (Ref:231683)   #85
louis
Rookie

louis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when changing to avon tyres every one needs to get new trackrods as well as upright is this right, as john corbyn never mentioned it.
Old 9 Mar 2002, 22:17 (Ref:231874)   #86
DSMJUNIOR
Rookie

you don't need new UPRIGHTS Louis, but do need new trackrods as you don't run the Avons with camber, like the Dunlops. I think that what we are buying are standard trackrods as the shorter ones were for the Dunlops.(The car was originally designed for the Avons). We also have to ghange the front top links, again because the ones we were running were shortened to suit the Dunlops. To be fair, I understand that JC was always against running Dunlops, that was a deal sorted by those who ran the series a few years ago.
It looks like JC was right, too, because by all accounts the avons are better.
Old 10 Mar 2002, 19:55 (Ref:232392)   #87
louis
Rookie

Sorry i meant top links not uprights. i feel this change to Avons has not been very well put together in terms of what is needed, as not all the details have been metnioned. I feel because of this the championship might struggle for numbers at the first race
Old 10 Mar 2002, 21:34 (Ref:232450)   #88
DSMJUNIOR
Rookie

hi, Andy and Louis. PS here not DS. Can't really argue with you Louis, there has been little timely communication. Also, the rules have loads of mistakes in them. e.g. apparently the rear light has to have an area of 50 sq. cm.That is 5cm x 10cm! that's about 3 times bigger than i'v sen anyone use.

Also, the permitted engines says FM, FW FX and FY. i think it should be FM - FY. Also, according to the rules at the moment only spares for FM - FW can be used so your B-----ed if you have an FX or Y.

FURTHERMORE they say that the arbox feeds have to be from within the main roll hoop dimensions but that's not possible with an FX or Y because they have side intakes.

i'll give CJ a call and bring this to his attention. Hope you're wrong about grid numbers, Louis, after all the changes needed to suit the Avons are not that much compared with race and testing fees at the end of the day.
Old 13 Mar 2002, 12:35 (Ref:234185)   #89
chunky
Rookie

chunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Roberts
Oooops! My mistake sorry
Wish my dad would learn how to post on here to!
Do u really?? I don't think so!!!! He can't even use his mobile phone properly...... leave him to the Honda!!!!!!
Old 26 Mar 2002, 15:06 (Ref:244462)   #90
hedlro
Rookie

hedlro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,
quick introduction, the name's Rob Hedley and I am competing in the Formula Honda Championship with HS Motorsport. Just like to wish all driver the best of british for the season and I will see you all at Cadwell.

Glad to see the discussion has mellowed for people having a go at each other to people actually talking about racing.

Rob
Old 28 Mar 2002, 22:51 (Ref:246270)   #91
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Look forward to meeting you at Cadwell Rob. Is Mark Gellatly racing with you as well this year?

Regards,

AndyR
Old 29 Mar 2002, 22:13 (Ref:246940)   #92
hedlro
Rookie

hedlro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Andy,

He's not racing this year at all. I believe he has a large tax bill to pay.

Rob
Old 31 Mar 2002, 22:46 (Ref:248499)   #93
RACE TEAM
Rookie

RACE TEAM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy, are you all ready for Cadwell. Looks like there is a good entry. How are the Avon tyres? Did you have any problems adapting the suspension to the tyres? Mark G. is gutted he is not racing and I think he is going to turn up to spectate which will make him even more depressed!
Old 1 Apr 2002, 21:49 (Ref:249382)   #94
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Ian,

Just about ready for Cadwell yeah. Got our engine back the other day after getting the gearbox rebuilt after a few problems. The Avons are a really nice tyre to run on. Much better than the dunlops and wasn't to much trouble adapting the suspension to suit.

The grid is looking really healthy for the first race with some really good karters coming into the championship. Should be fun!

See you at Cadwell!

AndyR
Old 9 Dec 2002, 22:47 (Ref:446618)   #95
Old Ropey
Racer

Old Ropey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F Honda in 2002

Hey guys I've just found this thread
What's the verdict now the season is over?
Old 10 Dec 2002, 09:24 (Ref:446829)   #96
powerflowmotors
Rookie

powerflowmotors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasnt this a post regarding ZipFord and not Fhonda? FHonda isn't going anywhere - the cars are flimsy and the series has very little coverage. I have to say the concept was very good but the reality is somewhat different and surely this is a series on its way out? Im not having a personal crack at Fhonda drivers/associates im just saying the truth.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 16:11 (Ref:447048)   #97
louis
Rookie

zip ford is going no where either, apart from joining scrap heap challenge!
Old 10 Dec 2002, 19:32 (Ref:447195)   #98
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Unfortunatly I have have to disagree with you there Louis. Althought I loved racing in FHonda this year, Zipford will be the championship that survives longer because of the money behind it and that it has already been recognised as the "first step" by the MSA.

With a prize like the full season in Formula Renault that Michael Spencer just won I wish I could have done Zip this year just for the prize. Sure the cars are ugly as hell and slower than a reliant robin with the handbrake on, but because the series is properly marketed, promoted and has such a big prize at the end it will always attract the most interest, and unfortuntaly the rich drivers with budgets.

What you planning on doing next year Louis mate? Doing Honda again or looking at BARC Renault?
Old 13 Dec 2002, 16:37 (Ref:449148)   #99
louis
Rookie

Not sure what i am up to next year andy? Had a good look at barc renualt, but i have still got my formula honda car? so i am really undecided.

i will be able to tell you probably more after the autosport show when i have more information on both championships plans.

let me know what your up to next year, if you are racing next year or not? would be nice to know

Louis
Old 23 Dec 2002, 19:54 (Ref:456357)   #100
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Not sure what I will be racing next year as it all depends how much money I can find. I want to do either the Barber Dodge Pro Series for Formula Renault but if I cna't find the budget for them then it will most likely be BARC Formula Renault. Will be having a good look at the Autosport show though and going to speak to a couple of people while I am there to see what I can sort out.