Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 26 Oct 2001, 19:47 (Ref:165997)   #1
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Future Classics?

As we wander round Classic car shows in 30 years time, which cars from this decade will we be seeing? Will there be rows of lovingly restored X-Types alonside the Nissan Micra Owners Club? Will the 'must have' be a rebuilt from the ground up 'New Mini'? (And will we be allowed to drive them??) After all, who would have thought there would be owners clubs for such mundane cars as the Morris Minor and, more recently, the Ford Granada and Scorpio- and not forgetting the humble Austin Maestro?
Old 26 Oct 2001, 19:52 (Ref:166002)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess there will be a club for that godawful ugly Multipla thing (or whatever it's called!). I have to avert my eyes whenever I see one for fear of being turned to a statue.
Old 26 Oct 2001, 20:14 (Ref:166010)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We can but hope not!.....
You never know- there is already a club for the Smart- there were a whole load of them at one show I went to last year!
Old 26 Oct 2001, 20:39 (Ref:166025)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like life it is the survival of the fittest. Cheap cars tend to become 'disposable' and therefore any that survive 30 years hard labour will become classics. Meanwhile the Jag's, Astons, Ferrari's etc tend to be pampered and so will always keep or increase in price.

Therefore the thing to do is buy Granny that basic Fiat Uno to drive few miles a week to collect pension with a buy back clause after 25 years. You then have a possible 'classic' with 10k on the clock.

Simon

PS Thats assuming that Fiat and Granny will actually last 25 years
Old 26 Oct 2001, 21:05 (Ref:166037)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll put my money on Granny and let someone else take a flyer on the Fiat......

Old 26 Oct 2001, 22:35 (Ref:166080)   #6
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK Aysedasi, I tend to agree, which would of course make the Fiat even more of a Classic. Perhaps a Ford Focus, even so Granny would again start off as favourite.

Any suggestions ???

SL
Old 29 Oct 2001, 10:07 (Ref:166872)   #7
paul c
Rookie

paul c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm running a 15 year old Volvo 740 estate. So by SL's counting, I've only got another 15 years to go before someone calls it a classic. Mind you, whether it will ever attain the status of the Volvo Amazon is another matter...
Old 19 Nov 2001, 12:35 (Ref:176345)   #8
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kind of sad, really... I reckon the Peugeot 404 is twice the car the 504 is, yet the rust problem has all but eliminated the earler but better car and the 504 lives on... for now.
Old 19 Nov 2001, 15:37 (Ref:176390)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK. I know you're going to laugh at this - but what the hell.

Firstly, I would never call this a "classic", but...

My wife has a bright red Daewoo Matiz. And I just loveit!! Tiny engine which sounds fantastic when revved, smallish running costs - it goes like a little rocket. I'm even tempted to get one for myself.

OK. That's my stupidity over.

Sorry.

Old 20 Nov 2001, 21:28 (Ref:176972)   #10
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Old 20 Nov 2001, 22:10 (Ref:177012)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You know, my sister owned a Yugo for a while. Then she traded it for a Chevette and it was a serious step back
Old 21 Nov 2001, 00:54 (Ref:177070)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
And I just loveit!! Tiny engine which sounds fantastic when revved...
There is certainly an appealing buzz about a revvy little motor when it's new and in good shape. Have to agree with you, but why does the drive have to be through the front wheels?
Old 21 Nov 2001, 19:43 (Ref:177400)   #13
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
KC's got it...the Yugo.

Few were sold, even fewer survived. Even the country in which it was built did not survive! It has a "so bad it's good" mystique and is the butt of many jokes. All the ingredients that will make it a future classic.

It's the Edsel for the 21st century! (Have you seen what a restored Edsel sells for these days?)
Old 22 Nov 2001, 23:10 (Ref:177916)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell

There is certainly an appealing buzz about a revvy little motor when it's new and in good shape. Have to agree with you, but why does the drive have to be through the front wheels?
I couldn't agree more, Ray.
Old 23 Nov 2001, 09:34 (Ref:178013)   #15
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OK,

Silly choice a first model Mazda 626. I am now intimate with the model.

Seriously, a series one Mazda RX7, there's a beauty down the road for sale for 6 grand.

Otherwise in 30 years, a Ducati 916 SP.
Old 21 Dec 2001, 19:36 (Ref:188523)   #16
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daimler Chrysler just announced it is ending production of the Plymouth Viper. 11,000 will have been made. This limited number will assure its collectable status in the future.

However, they are so impractical for daily use, I'm sure many low mileage specimens will survive under canvas in corners of sheds.